U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 AM

21,903 posts, read 27,179,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'd say Davidson is a no-brainer here assuming the "price is not a concern" is accurate. One of if not the best downtown in the Charlotte area, commute should be under 40 minutes most of the time and you're not too far from Charlotte.

Mooresville would be a distant second if you want a little lower price than Davidson with a slightly better commute.

Hickory is a decent outside the box idea but it's still 30 miles away and while I-40 isn't as bad as I-77, it's not always a cakewalk. It's also at least an hour from Charlotte if that is a concern.

Charlotte is too far. Birkdale Village might be in the ballpark of the commute time but while nice, it's not really a "real" downtown anyway.
Davidson has the college, which is usually cited as a big plus. Hickory has Lenoir-Rhyne. The faculty in Davidson is usually considered a plus. Hickory has faculty too. I think that the edge to Davidson gets canceled out. Then it just boils down to which works better for the OP, which none of us can answer. Then there's the possibility of finding a place in another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM

391 posts, read 241,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OP said price is not a concern.

Davidson would most likely be a better cultural fit for someone from the NE than Hickory would be.
The OP said that he wants to be within 40 minutes drive from Statesville. Mooresville, Davidson, Cornelius, and even Huntersville would be perfect. If they are working in Statesville, they will likely be driving against traffic in the mornings and evenings. So, it might be where they should look. Hickory is a fine town, but isn't as city-like as the lake towns. I can tell you that being from the NE doesn't make anyone more culturally advanced. I know, I work in Boston and other New England places every other week. The OP is likely interested in restaurants, pubs, music venues, and that sort of thing. If they want more, Charlotte is just another quick addition. There are plays in Davidson and Huntersville as well. And there is a good Comedy Theater in Cornelius in the Galway Hooker Irish Pub.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM

4,051 posts, read 3,277,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
The OP said that he wants to be within 40 minutes drive from Statesville. Mooresville, Davidson, Cornelius, and even Huntersville would be perfect. If they are working in Statesville, they will likely be driving against traffic in the mornings and evenings. So, it might be where they should look. Hickory is a fine town, but isn't as city-like as the lake towns. I can tell you that being from the NE doesn't make anyone more culturally advanced. I know, I work in Boston and other New England places every other week. The OP is likely interested in restaurants, pubs, music venues, and that sort of thing. If they want more, Charlotte is just another quick addition. There are plays in Davidson and Huntersville as well. And there is a good Comedy Theater in Cornelius in the Galway Hooker Irish Pub.

It's not about being "culturally advanced".

It's the fact that Davidson, Huntersville, Mooresville have more transplants than Statesville and perhaps (I'm guessing) Hickory do.

That makes it easier for other new people to fit in.

Also I'm not sure why you are quoting me; I suggested Davidson in the first place.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:

It's the fact that Davidson, Huntersville, Mooresville have more transplants than Statesville and perhaps (I'm guessing) Hickory do.

Also I'm not sure why you are quoting me; I suggested Davidson in the first place.
When you say "better cultural fit," your meaning is unclear. Based on thread observations, when a comment of such a nature is posted from someone from a "snowflake" state, it has the more insulting translation. If you sincerely did not mean it as a condescending statement, I apologise.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
When you say "better cultural fit," your meaning is unclear. Based on thread observations, when a comment of such a nature is posted from someone from a "snowflake" state, it has the more insulting translation. If you sincerely did not mean it as a condescending statement, I apologise.
Wasn't trying to be condescending at all. I like NC just fine. I like the South just fine. But sometimes it's hard for newcomers to feel they belong. It would probably be the same for me if I moved to Brooklyn or Portland OR or Wyoming.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Wasn't trying to be condescending at all. I like NC just fine. I like the South just fine. But sometimes it's hard for newcomers to feel they belong. It would probably be the same for me if I moved to Brooklyn or Portland OR or Wyoming.
It is just that I, as a somewhat newcomer, have found the area quite hospitable. I immediately felt at home when I arrived a decade ago and made many friends. I believe that a person from a small town might have an issue in a big city, but that is a personal thing with the individual and the city can't be blamed. I am not saying that Charlotte is any different than any other place, I am just saying that generally speaking, it is a pretty friendly place. I know your intentions are honorable and I apologize for being somewhat anal. It's all in the genetics. I have a bad habit of taking too many things literally. You sound like a nice person, and I can't imagine that you would have had any issues upon moving into the area. If so, I hope they all worked out and you are happy.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM

21,903 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:

Still grinding your ax on Hickory, I see. I saw that you didn't do it with the woman from upstate NY who had actually been there & liked it. When I've been in Hickory, I've heard plenty of accents from all over, including foreign locations. Do you believe that the faculty at Lenoir Rhyne is made up of Hickory natives? Do you think that the medical staff at Frye is only made up of Hickory natives?

There are several towns that could work for the OP of this thread that don't involve extensive use of I 77. There are reports on the news, frequently, of problems with construction of the toll lanes, that won't fix the congestion problem.

I suggested Hickory, Mooresville, & Davidson. You chose to attack Hickory, pretty much ignore Mooresville, & promote Davidson. I don't live in any of those places. I don't believe that you can say the same.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Still grinding your ax on Hickory, I see. I saw that you didn't do it with the woman from upstate NY who had actually been there & liked it. When I've been in Hickory, I've heard plenty of accents from all over, including foreign locations. Do you believe that the faculty at Lenoir Rhyne is made up of Hickory natives? Do you think that the medical staff at Frye is only made up of Hickory natives?

There are several towns that could work for the OP of this thread that don't involve extensive use of I 77. There are reports on the news, frequently, of problems with construction of the toll lanes, that won't fix the congestion problem.

I suggested Hickory, Mooresville, & Davidson. You chose to attack Hickory, pretty much ignore Mooresville, & promote Davidson. I don't live in any of those places. I don't believe that you can say the same.
Southbound, the only attacking going on is YOU attacking ME. Not one single time have I attacked Hickory. Not once. Saying there are "perhaps more transplants" in other towns besides Hickory is not an attack on Hickory. Again, I ask you, to QUOTE me on where I am "attacking" Hickory. Your complaints don't even make sense, as before you were upset that I suggested shopping in Mooresville, but now I am "ignoring Mooresville".

I live in Concord. I have said so. YOU cast aspersions on the traffic in Concord due to the NASCAR track. YOU want to hide behind "your opinion" but bully anyone who has an opinion other than your own. I don't even CARE! We are moving out of state soon and this is just an Internet forum.

Some other facts for you:

It is possible to drive to Statesville from either Mooresville or Davidson without taking 77
The majority of people who live in Hickory are not professors at Lenoir Rhyne or physicians at Frye
Lenoir Rhyne is I'm sure a fine college but quit acting as if it's Harvard

You are not the patron saint of Hickory or Gastonia. I am free to offer a different viewpoint than yours, so in the future ignore my posts and leave me alone.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-22-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM

15,324 posts, read 27,488,077 times
Ok folks, these are all great posts so let's just all appreciate everyone's viewpoints. It sounds as if the OP is going to consider the points given. Let me reassure everyone that City-Data certainly appreciates everyone's input and differing opinions.

To the OP: When is your target move date? What was your deciding factor to move to Statesville? This is a big change!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 AM

486 posts, read 285,493 times
[Q
Ill jump in about hickory. We are going to relocate next year from syracuse ny. We were just in hickory for the first time last month and liked it alot. We see ourselves moving there or in a close range to hickory. It is pretty, lots to do. Close to the mountains. Nice downtown, tons of stores, nice mall and parks. I40 is not too bad, giving how much i hate traffic. I think you should definitely consider prices on homes have a big range. Good luck!

UOTE=Blue726;47792805]Thanks for all the info. Is the traffic really that bad in the morning traveling north from Charlotte on I-77?

Looking at Google maps - Charlotte to statesville is about 40 minutes from the north side of the city. Adding traffic to that would make the commute too long for me.

Davidson and Hickory look nice, will check them out.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or