U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM

9,568 posts, read 8,854,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4shoes View Post
ok, i'm black.....what is a good diversfied area in the surrounding area to live? I will be moving in mid to late 2009...moving from Maryland, where the traffic, crime and all of that is crazy...I currently live in the suburbs and in a diversifed area.
Well, I'd say Charlotte is well diversified throughout its surrounding area. You will have no trouble fitting in here most anywhere you go. However from a crime perspective you need to do your homework and watch carefully where you choose to live. I don't think anywhere is free of crime. Actually South Charlotte for the number of people is not bad crime-wise. The Belmont/Mt'holly area is less only because less people live here. Its all relative i guess. Areas to avoid are immediately North and West of Charlotte, and parts of East Charlotte. But I should leave that to the locals as I am still relatively new here to be able to tell you what areas are bad. My only advice is to do your homework on where and why you are moving. Too many move here without jobs or to leave something behind. There is no perfect place and if you have that thought process, you will find a success here. Good luck to you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 21,591 times
I just moved to Belmont in Feb 2014 and love it. Bought a new home here. Totally affordable and full of fun things to do all summer long. Like the Friday Night Live series, Botanical Gardens, Wednesday Night Classic Car Shows, and locally owned bars and restaurants all over the downtown area. South Charlotte is very nice but don't knock Belmont until you have tried it.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM

533 posts, read 765,129 times
Please stay out of Gaston. We are all dumb poor rednecks. Keep all chaos, traffic, 2989274 spec homes in Charlotte please.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM

5,871 posts, read 7,706,755 times
I guess this post was before jp lived in the area during the summer.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 13,807 times
I looked at Belmont a few months back and was surprised to see that their tax rates were higher than Charlotte's. Not enough of a difference to keep me from moving there, I was just surprised that they were higher considering the lack of amenities vs (some parts of) Charlotte.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM

533 posts, read 765,129 times
Cramerton, Belmont, Mount Holly etc all higher tax rates than Charlotte city limit. These are small "private" towns that are all well kept. Taxes are not all about amenities - better schools, police, fire departments, roads etc. Heck believe it or not, Gastonia city limit tax rates are also higher than Charlotte city limit tax rates lol

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM

Regarding the higher tax rate, you are correct and it is a problem. All I can offer you is that my experiences here in Belmont seem well worth the extra cost. Belmont is the only place around that kids can actually walk to school safely (from K all the way through 12 I might add). It is one of the only places around here that people walk their dogs at night. There are always people running and walking for exercise. And like I said earlier it seems like every weekend there is some kind of festival downtown.

I love South Charlotte and spend plenty of time down there. All I'm suggesting is that You take take the short drive to Belmont once on the weekend and tell me what you think after that.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 PM

Hey don't forget October 4 is the unveiling of the "Fighting Yank" memorial in downtown Belmont. The governor will be there along with the Southpoint band. Many veterans will attend. Should be great.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:40 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,922,492 times
"Belmont is the only place around that kids can actually walk to school safely (from K all the way through 12 I might add). It is one of the only places around here that people walk their dogs at night. There are always people running and walking for exercise."

I respect that you've decided to become a proponent for Gaston County. It needs it and pride of place is a good thing. But don't get off on the wrong foot with people here by making sweeping comments like this. Where do people in the rest of the metro area walk their dogs at night? Do you see where I walk my dog? Do you know how my child gets to school every morning? Keep up the Gaston cheerleading, but don't do it by disparaging the rest of the area. Won't work out for you in the long run.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelmontGuy View Post
Belmont is the only place around that kids can actually walk to school safely (from K all the way through 12 I might add). It is one of the only places around here that people walk their dogs at night. There are always people running and walking for exercise.
Guess what: all these things are true in S. Charlotte (depends on the area for walking to school simply b/c of traffic.). I walk my dogs every morning early (around 5), and I feel completely safe. I also see plenty of exercising/jogging people and also people walking at all hours of the night.

Not arguing that Belmont is a better fit for some people (no way for me lol!), but Belmont is not the "only place around" to do these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or