U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 AM

11 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are currently living in Connecticut and looking to move into a suburb outside of charlotte, and would appreciate some insight! We are looking for a safe area to live that has local amenities and a nice homey charm! We are first time home buyers and have a budget of about 250k. Commute time under 45 minutes is ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 AM

1,449 posts, read 982,829 times
Commute to where in 45 minutes? There are job hubs throughout the metro area. You looking for a single family home at $250k or are you good with a condo/townhome?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:00 AM

A work commute looking for a single family house @ 250k

Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 AM

649 posts, read 508,701 times
Charlotte is a large metro area. To reasonably go from residential areas in the North to work areas in the South (or vice versa) would give you an hour plus commute. Same with East to West (or vice versa). If you're not sure of where you'll be working, I'd suggest renting first until you know where your job will be located.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 AM

I agree with UDcc123. You should rent first until you find a job. If you buy a house in say, Indian Trail, but then land an awesome job in Davidson, you are going to be kicking yourself because you'll have an hour long commute and you could have just lived in the Davidson area.

I'd recommend renting closer to the city center and near an interstate so you are close to the maximum amount of jobs possible and then once you find a job and that lease expires, buy. If you are near the city center you will be within a 45 minute commute of most of the large job centers (Uptown (our downtown), University City, South Park, Ballantyne, Fort Mill office parks, Huntersville/Davidson office parks, Mooresville, Steele Creek, Airport area office parks, etc...)

Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM

537 posts, read 545,053 times
I do the opposite. I find a place I want to live and then find work within a reasonable commute.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 AM

Yes, the commute isn't as important to me as living in the right town. A short commute would be awesome but not as important as a good home in a nice neighborhood

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 AM

With a $250,000 budget, for a single family home you are going to find the most options in Concord, north Mooresville, Rock Hill (SC), and Gaston County.

You might find a listing here or there in areas like Matthews, Fort Mill, or Indian Land but you'll have a lot less options.

You might want to check out Clover, SC as well.

What line of work are you in? Some of the industries are rather clumped in the metro, others are spread throughout. Have you visited the area before and do you have any more preferences besides safe and hometown vibe?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 AM

I am in the aviation field. Haven't visited the area yet but have family in the lake Norman of Catawba area. It would also be nice to have a "downtown" where there are local shops, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 AM

21,796 posts, read 27,061,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Quinn View Post
I am in the aviation field. Haven't visited the area yet but have family in the lake Norman of Catawba area. It would also be nice to have a "downtown" where there are local shops, supermarkets, restaurants, etc.
Do you mean aerospace, like Lockheed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or