Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,440,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Here here. I have a friend who moved out of Highland Creek (can I say that?) because they just couldn't take how exacting (and inconsistent) the rules were. Then they bought a new house in another area up there and immediately got on the HOA so they could prevent it from happening again.
jerseygirl34 - My thoughts exactly! I don't remember hearing of HOAs that much back in NJ! Some of the current rules of my HOA seem a bit overbearing, which is what prompted me to get on the board in the first place, rather than to sit and complain at the meetings. My fellow board members are a lot more conservative than I am tho'. It's like being on the Supreme Court sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,770,780 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
I went to my first ever HOA annual meeting last night. I just want to see how a few things compare to other HOAs in the area.

1. Does your HOA have limit for the number of homes that can rent in your neighborhood? Is renting a problem?

2. Do you have a neighborhood watch and how is it structured? We are having a meeting with the police in our area next week to get one setup, from my understanding after that, we have to pay for the signs and that's about it. I'm not sure how we proceed from there. I have images about people making rounds or patrolling, but I'm not sure if that really happens.

3. Do you have an HOA newsletter? Is it a good communication tool or do people ignore it? How does your HOA get the word out for import information?We have one, but since we can't put things in mailboxes, it goes in the "tubes" and most people ignore it unfortunately. We have spoken about setting up a password protected website. I've heard that Thornhill does this. I like the website idea much better than the newsletter.

Thank you!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,739 times
That is the biggest problem we are having right now is inconsistencies with the covenants. They deny request for some and then a few months later the denial you got is in somebody else's backyard. We are told by the management company that there are a lot of gray areas. This is the main reason not to buy in new constrcuction as the builder is controlling the HOA, not the homeowners.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 AM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Well I know in my community, Woodbury, the HOA will be handled by Centex until it's fully built. It's at its very first stages now so that may be a while.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:08 AM

172 posts, read 582,302 times
[quote=pinkpocketbooks;3060589]I went to my first ever HOA annual meeting last night. I just want to see how a few things compare to other HOAs in the area.

1. Does your HOA have limit for the number of homes that can rent in your neighborhood? Is renting a problem? I just checked the covenants and didn't see any thing about rentals other than the owner was responsible for the property. As far as I know we currently have no rentals.

2. Do you have a neighborhood watch and how is it structured? We met with police and were informed of things to watch for, but a neighborhood watch wasn't deemed necessary. We are a small community and neighbors tend to look out for each other.

3. Do you have an HOA newsletter? Is it a good communication tool or do people ignore it? How does your HOA get the word out for import information? We do not currently have a news letter, but we do have a website that lists meeting minutes and other information. Information is sent via mail and email. Flyers are also used for non urgent matters.

BTW. I love our HOA and the people in our community.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 11,198 times
Default How an HOA is formed...??

I thought since you are involved in an HOA, hopefully you can help answer my question/concern...

I bought my house w/ NO HOA in existence in 2006. That's one major reason why I bought it.

An HOA just "popped" up in 9/07...the funny thing is, I only heard about it from my tenants. I never got a letter...therefore, did not even have the opportunity to sign whether or not I agree.

I got a bill from them. I called them up and researched the state secretary's website, read their bylaws...etc. They seem legitimate...BUT am I forced to follow this HOA when I never agreed?

The first piece of paperwork I got from them, was a bill.

It's a single family residence neighborhood. No common area other than sidewalk.

Any insights on this would truly help!

Thank you.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woabbie View Post
I thought since you are involved in an HOA, hopefully you can help answer my question/concern...

I bought my house w/ NO HOA in existence in 2006. That's one major reason why I bought it.

An HOA just "popped" up in 9/07...the funny thing is, I only heard about it from my tenants. I never got a letter...therefore, did not even have the opportunity to sign whether or not I agree.

I got a bill from them. I called them up and researched the state secretary's website, read their bylaws...etc. They seem legitimate...BUT am I forced to follow this HOA when I never agreed?

The first piece of paperwork I got from them, was a bill.

It's a single family residence neighborhood. No common area other than sidewalk.

Any insights on this would truly help!

Thank you.
You gotta pay up I'm afraid. Sounds like when you bought your realtor dropped the ball. They were supposed to get the HOA info and bylaws for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM

444 posts, read 1,643,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
I went to my first ever HOA annual meeting last night. I just want to see how a few things compare to other HOAs in the area.

1. Does your HOA have limit for the number of homes that can rent in your neighborhood? Is renting a problem?

2. Do you have a neighborhood watch and how is it structured?

3. Do you have an HOA newsletter? Is it a good communication tool or do people ignore it? How does your HOA get the word out for import information?

Thank you!
Riverpointe has a HOA and renting in this neighborhood is not an issue. However, my mom has a condo at Sharon South and they have a limit on how many homes can be rented. This is to salvage the resale value on the neighborhood and is really a great idea!

There is no neighborhood watch here in Riverpointe or in Sharon South. However, in Sharon South they have a member of the HOA on each street
representing the owners.

Both neighborhoods have a newsletter. I find them to be very informative and useful. I often refer to them when I need information or if I need to contact a board member.

Hope this has been some help to you!

Dunroven

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You gotta pay up I'm afraid. Sounds like when you bought your realtor dropped the ball. They were supposed to get the HOA info and bylaws for you.
My closing documents has a "NO" check marked on the "no HOA". I even verified it with them.

There wasn't an HOA for a couple years. ...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woabbie View Post
My closing documents has a "NO" check marked on the "no HOA". I even verified it with them.

There wasn't an HOA for a couple years. ...
Sounds like they just weren't active and maybe had problems getting volunteers to man the different positions. But once a subdivision developer establishes those bylaws and convenants, nothing does away with them as far as I know. So now apparently they are back in action and have assessed you and I do think you will have to pay up. You can call a lawyer for an opinion, but HOA covenants that have been recorded (which all must be at the formation of a neighborhood) don't ever go away. I think the law is on their side and if you don't pay you'll end up with a lien on your property. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte