U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM

382 posts, read 1,745,754 times

Advertisements

I went to my first ever HOA annual meeting last night. I just want to see how a few things compare to other HOAs in the area.

1. Does your HOA have limit for the number of homes that can rent in your neighborhood? Is renting a problem?

2. Do you have a neighborhood watch and how is it structured?

3. Do you have an HOA newsletter? Is it a good communication tool or do people ignore it? How does your HOA get the word out for import information?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,228,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
1. Does your HOA have limit for the number of homes that can rent in your neighborhood? Is renting a problem?
No. They exist strictly to govern such items as lighting and common-area landscaping. Yes, renting is a major problem, IMHO.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
3. Do you have an HOA newsletter? Is it a good communication tool or do people ignore it? How does your HOA get the word out for import information?
No. They will usually mail important notices directly to the homeowners. Although, they've been known to do things without warning, such as a recent event where, unknown to anyone, they had hired a landscaping contractor to trim all of the street-side trees. We all thought that we were victims of vandalism, at least at first, since we all had been maintaining them as being part of our property.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,476,536 times
Well being involved with HOA's I have learned the tree that sits between the road and sidewalk belongs to the HOA as well as the pine needles around them!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 AM

286 posts, read 943,046 times
I went to my first ever HOA annual meeting last night. I just want to see how a few things compare to other HOAs in the area.

Yes our bylaws limitations such as ratios and a requirement to live in your unit. This is a good thing in my mind because usually a large ratio of rents brings down property values. On the other hand, no body listened to the bylaw rules. Some actually has to enforce the rules too.

We now have a NW which I'm the chairman of. NW's are not necessary if you don't have a crime problem.

Our HOA board members are riding out their term and are looking to be replaced. We've never had a newsletter. If you want one you need to push the board to create them.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,228,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Well being involved with HOA's I have learned the tree that sits between the road and sidewalk belongs to the HOA as well as the pine needles around them!
Well, that's one of those things that would be nice to know. I was under the impression that they belonged to the city, along with the sidewalks and streetlights, and were to be maintained by the homeowner.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 AM

382 posts, read 1,745,754 times
I'm a little concerned about the rental cap. I understand that it will prevent people from coming in an buying up properties with the sole purpose of renting them out. But what about people who have a medical emergency or job loss and can't afford their house payment? I would rather see someone renting than being foreclosed on. Foreclosure is what really endangers property values. There's two sides of the story.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
I'm a little concerned about the rental cap. I understand that it will prevent people from coming in an buying up properties with the sole purpose of renting them out. But what about people who have a medical emergency or job loss and can't afford their house payment? I would rather see someone renting than being foreclosed on. Foreclosure is what really endangers property values. There's two sides of the story.
I don't think this is off topic since we are talking about HOA and limiting renters. Just wanted to say . . . it is very risky for a person to rent from someone who is trying to avoid foreclosure, as evidenced in many parts of this country, b/c the renter can find himself evicted suddenly if the landlord falls behind on taxes, mortgage loan payment, etc. - even when the renter has been faithful w/ regular rent payments.

So it is a very good idea for HOA to be overseeing this . . . Just my opinion based on situations that have been exposed in the media.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
No HOA in my neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM

175 posts, read 138,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think this is off topic since we are talking about HOA and limiting renters. Just wanted to say . . . it is very risky for a person to rent from someone who is trying to avoid foreclosure, as evidenced in many parts of this country, b/c the renter can find himself evicted suddenly if the landlord falls behind on taxes, mortgage loan payment, etc. - even when the renter has been faithful w/ regular rent payments.

So it is a very good idea for HOA to be overseeing this . . . Just my opinion based on situations that have been exposed in the media.
As always Ani, very good point. Now it has me wondering if we have this rule in our neighborhood. You can definitely tell which houses are rentals where I live. Our HOA seems like a well organized, well-intentioned group of people. Our dues are voluntary and very low for seniors. We have a newsletter which is well done and available in paper and online. The HOA doesn't seem to have much teeth but fortunately do not seem to need them.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM

672 posts, read 1,646,378 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Rentals are a problem in every neighborhood. Some tend to be eyesores as they aren't kept up which has a lot to do with the fact that there is a new family or group of people living there every six months.

We do not have a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood currently which is due to the fact that it is voted on and since the builders vote is worth 4 of a homeowners vote, they have the final say right now. Many homeowners feel that we really need a neighborhood watch.

Yes, we have a wonderful, monthly 4 page newsletter in color. Glad our money goes to something good as our hoa dues are pricy at $180 every three months. We have a great pool and nice landscaping around the community (Berewick.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte