U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 AM

7,178 posts, read 11,176,111 times

Advertisements

We too live in Mooresville and we really don't give too much thought to McGuire. I think Carolina Guy and BxRosie both summed up the prevailing attitude about living near the nuke. Awareness and preparedness go a long way to having peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,634,677 times
Quote:
If it wasn't for the nuclear power plant, we wouldn't have the beautiful lake and the amenities it has garnished over the decades.
I think many newcomers do not realize this. Lake Norman is not a natural lake. It was created by Duke Power.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,441,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I think many newcomers do not realize this. Lake Norman is not a natural lake. It was created by Duke Power.
I understood that the lake was created to use the water to cool the plant. Is that true? Makes sense. Sounds like a beautiful place, and so close to everything.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM

457 posts, read 1,224,359 times
Doorway, you are absolutley correct, the water is used to cool the "reactor" and the fuel rods inside the power plant. In my previous "life" in NJ I worked for PSE&G Utility, and spent lots of time at our Nuke Power plant in Salem, NJ...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,492 times
Just saying thank you for all the replies. I think that I've come to agree with the general sentiment here. The area seems so beautiful and the neighborhoods so nice, crime so much lower than other places in Charlotte, and overall, such a sense of community.

In truth, I'm having a hard time pin-pointing exactly what it is that bothers me in the first place.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,406,240 times
Actually if you think about it Charlotte could be in for a world of hurt if the 2 reactors in the Catawba Plant on Lake Wylie had an accident. I would guess it would really depend on which way the wind blew.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:13 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,166,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLL2CLT View Post
Hi, I'm new to the boards here. My family and I have just relocated to Charlotte from S. Florida (as you may have guessed by my overly creative screen name) and we've fallen in love with the lake norman area. Huntersville & Davidson, in particular.

I know that there are quite a few of you on these boards that live up there and I'm trying to understand how you gained comfort in the idea of living close to the McGuire plant. I'm not trying to come across as glib or insincere, I truly want to know the thought process that you went through, if you even went through one at all.

My gut tells me that I'm completely overreacting to this but I find lots of conflicting information online and can't seem to get over the hump of truly being o.k. with it.

I consider myself to be very educated and probably understand more than most about how nuclear power gets generated, but like I said, for some reason can't get all the way there.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer me.
Please go thru and reread this older thread where this whole nuclear power plant issue was previously discussed - I think there is good info in it

nuclear lake=lake Norman

Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,699,239 times
We are blessed in Mecklenburg. I understand that we are the biggest city in the U.S. that is blessed with two (2) nuclear plants. If there is a disaster, it should be somewhat quick and painless with the double whammy. Just hope that Homer Simpson never got promoted to supervisor.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM

876 posts, read 3,478,360 times
the odds of something happening to that plant are slim to none. From what I was told you could fly a commercial airplane into that place and it would still function.

Don't know why people get freaked out by it. I even forget its there 99% of the time until someone asks. We are up near the Marshall Steam Station and that doesnt even bother me either.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
How would a radiation leak from McGuire N Station affect those who live in Mooresville, NC 28115
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte