Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,198,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Yes, though I'm still quite homesick for my friends and family, I LOVE this area.
Don't feel badly, I'm in the same situation. By reading my post about where I live you can tell I truely love it here but that doesn't change the fact that all my friends and family are still in CA--3,000 miles away and I miss them terribly. My son just recently decided that he and his new wife and family will be moving here this next year! Hang on--you never know what the future may bring!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,957,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Don't feel badly, I'm in the same situation. By reading my post about where I live you can tell I truely love it here but that doesn't change the fact that all my friends and family are still in CA--3,000 miles away and I miss them terribly. My son just recently decided that he and his new wife and family will be moving here this next year! Hang on--you never know what the future may bring!!
Your setting sounds amazing!!! Thanks for the kind words. I imagine I'll miss them no matter how long I'm away because they are all very special, but hey.... Thats why we all picked such nice neighborhoods that they will want to come and visit year after year. Right????

Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM

4,138 posts, read 11,440,552 times
I would really like to move on to the lake. I am starting my search, but our house won't be really ready to sell for a while.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
I live on Lake Wylie and I love watching the different birds on the lake, hearing the waves crash outside our bedroom window at night, our international neighbors (German, Belgium, French, Polish, Greek and England),
I enjoy learning about their homelands. We have walking, tennis, swimming and neighborhood clubs. Thank goodness I'm retired so I have time to enjoy it all.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM

124 posts, read 438,859 times
Default The Loveliness of Cureton!

As I stood outside my house on a chilly winter evening, something made me stop halfway up my driveway. It wasn't the three glasses of wine I'd just shared with my neighbors (my friends!) as our children played happily and amiably upstairs. It wasn't the memory of the two deer I'd seen prancing around the undeveloped Hazlett section on my morning walk. Heck, it wasn't even the feeling of home that I get everytime I look up and down my block, or the swaying of the trees in the walking trails, or the gentle glow of the lights on the outsides of homes that (in my opinion) exude character and charm.

It was the stars above me, and how I'd never seen so many over my old house in Brooklyn (except for that blackout in 2003), and how they seemed much closer and more mysterious than I'd ever remembered them being.

Thought I'd share.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
As I stood outside my house on a chilly winter evening, something made me stop halfway up my driveway. It wasn't the three glasses of wine I'd just shared with my neighbors (my friends!) as our children played happily and amiably upstairs. It wasn't the memory of the two deer I'd seen prancing around the undeveloped Hazlett section on my morning walk. Heck, it wasn't even the feeling of home that I get everytime I look up and down my block, or the swaying of the trees in the walking trails, or the gentle glow of the lights on the outsides of homes that (in my opinion) exude character and charm.

It was the stars above me, and how I'd never seen so many over my old house in Brooklyn (except for that blackout in 2003), and how they seemed much closer and more mysterious than I'd ever remembered them being.

Thought I'd share.
BrklynGal! That was pure poetry! I felt like I was right there with you! That was lovely . . . thank you so much for sharing . . .

Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM

444 posts, read 1,643,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I would really like to move on to the lake. I am starting my search, but our house won't be really ready to sell for a while.

Dawn
It really is wonderful to live on the Lake. We are moving to Sun City and that is the one thing I regret the most. Water is so relaxing to watch and the neighborhood is sooooo great! Let me know if you plan a trip down my way. Lake Wylie, in case I didn't mention it. I'd love to show you around the neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:36 PM

56 posts, read 156,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post

Thought I'd share.
Beautifully said!! That's exactly why i want OUT of Brooklyn :-)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbound2007 View Post
Beautifully said!! That's exactly why i want OUT of Brooklyn :-)
NCBound . . . I promise . . . the stars will be here waiting for you when you get here . . .

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM

422 posts, read 1,360,152 times
Great post, Ani!

I love my neighborhood because of the location. Im right there where everything is. I also love and adore my neighbors. They take the HOA very seriously and we all ban together when there is an issue.... like magazine sales people who wear hoodies ;-)

Everyone looks out for each other and I find that so special.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM

462 posts, read 1,836,824 times
I like the fact that my neighborhood is very quite most of the time and I can sit out in the backyard and relax in peace and quite providing my neighbor has their annoying ankle biter dogs inside. I also like that we are far off the main drag but these days I am finding more negatives than positives in my neighborhood and really wish I stuck to my guns with my wife about not buying there a year ago. Maybe eventually my HOA will get up some speed and take care of some of the issues if some of the original home owners in the sub stop being so ignorant and fighting them on every single issue. Yes, we have some ignorant people living here who obviously regret buying in an HOA community and they have become bitter about it now that the builder is not in control of the subdivision and rules are being enforced. Some of the other issues I blame on the builder/sales reps. ie, selling homes to investors for rental properties bringing in what seems to be low lives who could give a crap about keeping the neighborhood/properties nice and introducing crime. I guess time will tell but at this point my wife and I hope the sub is completed in the next 5 years so we can sell and buy/build some place else that better suites us. It's not that bad I am just not completely happy and some of my issues are what some might consider petty like people who seemed to have bitten off more than they can handle financially to have a nice size home but seem to not be able to afford to maintain their property or at least buy blinds/curtains instead of hanging sheets or some other make shift trashy looking replacement for curtains/blinds. It's only a handful of homes but it still bothers me to see some of these eye sores in what could be a very nice neighborhood. Maybe it's just me but I would rather buy a smaller more affordable home rather than own a larger home that I can't maintain and it ends up look like cr@p anyway. Again, just my logic but not obviously everyones.
My wife and I hope to build a home on a few acres in the upcoming years and get away from the subdivision life of houses on top of each other and every other house looking the same and just being so close to your neighbors. Just wish I knew than what I know now because chances are I would have just bought property and built a custom home on it or would have looked for a resale on at least 3 acres outside of a subdivision.
Oh well, Live and learn and I just chalk it up to a life lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte