U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,520 times

Advertisements

no i am stating why it costs so much for the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 PM

140 posts, read 542,935 times
OK thanks, agent, I am trying to do some research on the type of mold since I have a lab report, and the ways to clean. It seems that some mold is worse then others, and some are cleaned differently then others.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:15 PM

112 posts, read 53,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robretpd View Post
OK, well I got back the lab report and I have mold growing on the roof trusses to the home being built. I spoke to the site super who said he will look into it. Although he had a positive approach, I will have to wait and see what they are going to do. I will not mention the builder as I want to give them an opportunity to correct the problem. Most of the people I have spoken to in the community are satisfied with the building construction and he response to problems. So it is only fair to give the builder a chance to correct before I start to blast them. I do have a few concerns, fist, it is obvious that the mold was visible, so why did they put it up? I gues the answer is the subcontractors could care less. The second, and not directly related to the builder is my r/e broker. I called them and they blew it off. Said once it is dried up and closed in it will be fine and stop growing. WRONG. I had a heads up about the mold last week, but the inspector wanted the lab report before we said anything to make sure. Unfortunatly, last week the roof trusses were on the ground, now they are up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have been in the building industry for over thirty years. All wood has mold in a dormant stage. It doesn't take much for it to be woken up out of that stage especialy in humid climates. He is right by telling you once covered it will go dormant again. Your also right in questioning it. If anything for peace of mind. You have voiced your complaint to the builder. He has responded by having the contractor tell you its OK once covered. If you do not agree to this and the contractor does not believe he should take it off. He will call a mold mediation company to protect his butt. I personally would only call them if there was an area in my home where a slow leak occurred and I suspect that its been like that for a long time. The mold that grows under those conditions is not to be taken lightly. If you are set in disputing this with your builder do not allow him to call a mold mediation company. Your better off having them replaced it. They have to record this and everybody including your insurance company will know at one time you had mold. Your rates might be compromised because of this. I hope that this information helps.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 AM

140 posts, read 542,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
I have been in the building industry for over thirty years. All wood has mold in a dormant stage. It doesn't take much for it to be woken up out of that stage especialy in humid climates. He is right by telling you once covered it will go dormant again. Your also right in questioning it. If anything for peace of mind. You have voiced your complaint to the builder. He has responded by having the contractor tell you its OK once covered. If you do not agree to this and the contractor does not believe he should take it off. He will call a mold mediation company to protect his butt. I personally would only call them if there was an area in my home where a slow leak occurred and I suspect that its been like that for a long time. The mold that grows under those conditions is not to be taken lightly. If you are set in disputing this with your builder do not allow him to call a mold mediation company. Your better off having them replaced it. They have to record this and everybody including your insurance company will know at one time you had mold. Your rates might be compromised because of this. I hope that this information helps.
It was my real estate agent, not the builder who said it will be ok once they close in the roof ad it dries. The builder is going to go and see what can be done.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 34,398 times
If the wood got wet sitting on the ground prior to installation and is not structurally compromised it can probably be cleaned effectively and doesn't need to be replaced. I'd insist that they use someone who knows what they are doing to clean and sanitize the wood. The "bucket of bleach" is not sufficient. Clean Air Technologies is a local company who does this type of work. Another resource which might be useful is a guy named Paul King who is a home inspector, but is also certified in mold remediation. Paul's number is 704-467-7328.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM

630 posts, read 1,674,481 times
Surface mold on the wood isn't so bad. It will happen on homes built if they get rained on and then it gets warm out. Just wash it off with bleach and water when the roof if finished. If it comes back, it's because you have water in the attic or its not venting properly through the soffits and roof vents. Your attic will and should be open to the outside as far as air circulation without letting water in.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 55,857 times
A bleach mixture is a good solution. Mold remediators will be selling their services, so they do have a vested interest in hyping the problem.

I'm not clear why "thecuban" believes there is some kind of permanent record your house has where an insurance company can find out that you had a mold concern during construction. That is pretty paranoid.

Mold needs high moisture levels to grow. Reduce the moisture, mold will not grow. There are spray on biocide products that claim to inhibit future mold growth. But if you are unhappy with the thought of mold growing in your house, what do you think of spraying a biocide throughout?

Is anyone in your family particularly sensitive to mold? If so, then I believe this would be a concern worth looking at closely. If not, then have it cleaned and move on.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:01 PM

873 posts, read 1,539,508 times
Simply treat the trusses with Bora Care. That will kill the mold and it will NEVER be able to grow there again. It's the same product labelled to treat wood members of the house for termite pretreats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte