Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM

140 posts, read 590,373 times

Advertisements

OK, well I got back the lab report and I have mold growing on the roof trusses to the home being built. I spoke to the site super who said he will look into it. Although he had a positive approach, I will have to wait and see what they are going to do. I will not mention the builder as I want to give them an opportunity to correct the problem. Most of the people I have spoken to in the community are satisfied with the building construction and he response to problems. So it is only fair to give the builder a chance to correct before I start to blast them. I do have a few concerns, fist, it is obvious that the mold was visible, so why did they put it up? I gues the answer is the subcontractors could care less. The second, and not directly related to the builder is my r/e broker. I called them and they blew it off. Said once it is dried up and closed in it will be fine and stop growing. WRONG. I had a heads up about the mold last week, but the inspector wanted the lab report before we said anything to make sure. Unfortunatly, last week the roof trusses were on the ground, now they are up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robretpd View Post
OK, well I got back the lab report and I have mold growing on the roof trusses to the home being built. I spoke to the site super who said he will look into it. Although he had a positive approach, I will have to wait and see what they are going to do. I will not mention the builder as I want to give them an opportunity to correct the problem. Most of the people I have spoken to in the community are satisfied with the building construction and he response to problems. So it is only fair to give the builder a chance to correct before I start to blast them. I do have a few concerns, fist, it is obvious that the mold was visible, so why did they put it up? I gues the answer is the subcontractors could care less. The second, and not directly related to the builder is my r/e broker. I called them and they blew it off. Said once it is dried up and closed in it will be fine and stop growing. WRONG. I had a heads up about the mold last week, but the inspector wanted the lab report before we said anything to make sure. Unfortunatly, last week the roof trusses were on the ground, now they are up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Who noticed the mold in the first place?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 PM

when the inspector I hired went to the site he saw some spots and thought they may be mold. He went back a few days later and took a sample. We got back the results Friday. I called the builder super and told him. In the mean time, the roof trusses hd been put up.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
when the inspector I hired went to the site he saw some spots and thought they may be mold. He went back a few days later and took a sample. We got back the results Friday. I called the builder super and told him. In the mean time, the roof trusses hd been put up.
I'd have them replace the trusses or back out of the deal. That mold may or may not be a problem in the future, and almost all homes have some mold somewhere in them, but to start out with the spores already extant in the house..no no no. Did the mold grow after the trusses were put up, is it from the supplier...? Most real estate agents and home inspectors will tell you rightfully that some mold isn't a big deal and to scrub it down with a wire brush and some bleach water. However, when you go to sell the house and you get an inspector who is freaked out, he'll pass that onto the buyer and you'll either lose the sale or be faced with an expensive decontamination choice. It doesn't look good from what you've said robretpd. I'd think mightily about backing out of the contract if it were me.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
This is why I need to get a building inspector. Seems like he is doing a very good job for you. Are you using a company or individual?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM

What I think happened was that the roof trusses were delivered and they did not get put up for a few weeks due to all the rain etc... The inspector said as long as they clean it correctly, it should not be a problem. One thing I think I did incorrect, was I thought there may be a problem prior to the trusses being put up, I should not have waited for the lab report. Notwithstanding, they still have to correct the condition.

He is an individual if you want his info send me a private message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM

If the mold doesn't come off they have to take down the trusses and put up new ones?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
A friend of mine is in the water damage restoration and is mold certified. Supposedly there are a few methods of removal to stop it from coming back. The machines are kinda pricey therefore the cost is passed on to you....r

Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
As a building inspector explained to me:
If they rub the mold off of the trusses with a cup of bleach to one gallon on water it should solve the problem.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM

I am not sure what you mean that the cost is passed on to me...I am certianly not going to pay for mold removal. If I must Ill hire an attorney, oh wait I am one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte