Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brooklyn_NY View Post
I have seen a few homes in Lawson that are less than 400k with 4 bedrooms, I am not stuck on the .25 acre just dont want less than .15 like a lot of homes have.

Again thanks for all the replies
Sure, but Lawson is not Marvin - it is Cuthbertson... and Lawson homes on the North side of Cuthbertson Rd will attend Waxhaw Elem (Parkwood cluster).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 09:59 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I would agree that expanding your search to Union County makes sense, especially in context to Fort Mill where you'll find a similar commute in the NorthWest section of the county. I wouldn't expect to beat 60 minutes unless you leave on somewhat off hours, though. I'm not sure who is giving you the commute times, but the heart of rush hour to Fort Mill, South end of Ballantyne, or NorthWest Union County can all be equally painful.

You're going to really struggle finding 4 bed and .25 acre for under 400k in most of the areas you list... In fact that will probably be next to impossible in areas like Marvin or Weddington. Ballantyne (Ardrey Kell / Providence) and even areas of Fort Mill will be similar issues at your price point.

Indian Land may be worth a look, you'll find better options at your price point and it is similar location. Belmont is an outlier to everything else mentioned so far.
Based on the locations given, Belmont would be approximately a midpoint. South Point is an 8 &, if desired, the OP's kids could apply for Highland Tech. I was talking to a woman with a kid in Highland Tech, yesterday, & he was offered early admission to Rochester Institute of Technology. While there's no guarantee of getting in, because it's a magnet, it is one of the best high schools in the state.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 15,181 times
Sorry MikeyKid, as you can see I am just learning the areas in Charlotte. I am guessing the Waxhaw Elementary is not a desirable school, my 11 year old would be in Middle School and my 9 year old would have just one year in Elementary so might not be too bad.

Southbound_295 thanks for the info regarding Highland Tech, that's the first time I am hearing about that school as a possible option.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 AM

751 posts, read 921,367 times
I think the bigger issue is just that Lawson's further out for you. I'd stick to Hunter Oaks/Somerset in Union County.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry MikeyKid, as you can see I am just learning the areas in Charlotte. I am guessing the Waxhaw Elementary is not a desirable school, my 11 year old would be in Middle School and my 9 year old would have just one year in Elementary so might not be too bad.

Southbound_295 thanks for the info regarding Highland Tech, that's the first time I am hearing about that school as a possible option.
You're welcome.

Highland Tech is a magnet school, which means there's no guarantee to get in. You have to live in Gaston County to go there, though.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Mike - no worries, we are here to help when we can. I would not call Waxhaw ES "undesirable", I would more express concern that the kids are going to an Elem in a different cluster and will have some extra adjustment when they end up back in Cuthbertson Middle.

If your 9 year old is in 4th grade now, then they wouldn't be impacted by the Elem since the realignment is for Fall of 2018. Everything is expected to stay the same next school year. So they finish Elem with 5th grade next year... unless we get into some wacky scenarios like reviving K-6 like the "old days" (aka when I went to school).

Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Based on the locations given, Belmont would be approximately a midpoint. South Point is an 8 &, if desired, the OP's kids could apply for Highland Tech. I was talking to a woman with a kid in Highland Tech, yesterday, & he was offered early admission to Rochester Institute of Technology. While there's no guarantee of getting in, because it's a magnet, it is one of the best high schools in the state.
Totally agree SB - I was just trying to point out that my commentary about location / commute / etc didn't apply to Belmont since it was in a different area than the other towns I mentioned.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
I know it was mentioned earlier, but do you think you may end up needing to go to areas in places like University or Huntersville? I think there is some sort of Wells Fargo campus in University for example. It seems the search area continues to push south and if so that could be a rough commute.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,617,319 times
TIAA, Allstate, and Wells do indeed all have large campuses in University City. TIAA employs more than 3,500 at their campus in UC, Wells employs 12,000 at their UC campus, and Allstate employs 1,700 at UC.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
TIAA, Allstate, and Wells do indeed all have large campuses in University City. TIAA employs more than 3,500 at their campus in UC, Wells employs 12,000 at their UC campus, and Allstate employs 1,700 at UC.
That's why I suggested that the OP ask about other locations in University City. It might suggest a shift north to Mt Holly or Huntersville, or a location in the city. Schools would necessitate a degree of give & take. It should probably also be determined if the job would be specific to the Charlotte metro, or if locations in nearby metros could be involved.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-06-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte