U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Also, a city taking on unmanageable debt and using taxpayer money for unnecessary things like arenas, light rail lines, baseball and NASCAR http://bestsmileys.com/wow/1.gif (broken link)
Ahhhhhh, ok. Now I understand your position.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM

168 posts, read 430,763 times
Default Water Taxes And Death???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Wow anifani, yeah you're correct. County yourself lucky in Charlotte that your sewer/water fees overall are low compared to outside counties. We are on a progressive scale here in UC. It wasn't difficult to pay a bill >$100 in the early summer for water/sewer.

I find it funny that some people here (in Union County) complain about increases in their prop taxes when they full know well that they're paying alot less than other counties...I guess its all how you look at it.

I FIND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING QUITE AMUSING...I MEAN COMING FROM A NEW YORK SUBURB, MY H2O BILL WAS LIKE 3X YOURS AND MY TAXES FOR MY SINGLE FAMILY HOME ON A 90 X100 LOT WAS $12,000.00.

THAT IS JUST ONE SMALL REASON I AM RELOCATING,,,

Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I will never understand people who think it's ok to raise rates if there are people in other counties/cities/states paying more.

Some people choose where and how they live based on expense.

Also, a city taking on unmanageable debt and using taxpayer money for unnecessary things like arenas, light rail lines, baseball and NASCAR while raising taxes on citizens for essentials like water and police is irresponsible and unforgivable. If I went out and paid for champagne and lobster but had to rob people at gunpoint to pay my mortgage, I doubt that anyone would give me a pass. Yet when the government takes your money at gunpoint, then it's suddenly just fine as long as someone somewhere else steals more. http://bestsmileys.com/wow/1.gif (broken link)
Reps from me Weedy!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochiepoo View Post
I FIND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING QUITE AMUSING...I MEAN COMING FROM A NEW YORK SUBURB, MY H2O BILL WAS LIKE 3X YOURS AND MY TAXES FOR MY SINGLE FAMILY HOME ON A 90 X100 LOT WAS $12,000.00.

I hear ya! Of course, your services in your NY suburb also include things like more extensive road system and snow removal equipment than we have here, hence our lower taxes. However, our taxes will doubtless keep going up as this area continues to grow. . . as the strain on our infrastructure is already becoming evident.

Still . . . I would hope we would never get to the place where we see a $12,000 tax bill one our homes here.

And I don't blame you a bit for wanting out of that kind of $$ drain!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochiepoo View Post

Look, I understand what you're saying and high $$ cost of living was a major factor for me relocating, but that doesn't forbid me to discuss and compare "everyday" prices for utilities, food, etc....

I was somewhat surprised at the rates that charlotte pays for water, that's all....

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 PM

168 posts, read 430,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Look, I understand what you're saying and high $$ cost of living was a major factor for me relocating, but that doesn't forbid me to discuss and compare "everyday" prices for utilities, food, etc....

I was somewhat surprised at the rates that charlotte pays for water, that's all....
OH DID I COME OFF RUDE? SORRY I THOUGHT I WAS MAKING YOU FEEL BETTER WITH MY INFO!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 PM

452 posts, read 1,216,525 times
charlotte should rebel against water restrictions....I know cuz we did it here in miami...

Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,410,324 times
Spending millions on trains and an arena is stupid when you've got that much of a problem with your water system.

One thing that could have slowed all this mess with the water down was to stop handing out building permits at the rate they are/were. Build a few 500+ unit apartment complexes and you've got a great deal of water being used. Dozens and dozens of new neighborhoods, same problem.

Builders arebuilding faster than this city can handle. We don't have the roads, policeand water system for all this growth.

Anyone remember that massive water project on Park Rd a few years ago? Any bets on how soon they're going to have to rip it up and do it all over again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte