U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Ani and Loves, you are both so right. We need a good versatile bakery. Most places I've lived or visited have had wonderful bread stores. Sometimes pastries are also offered, but often bread alone is baked. They give free samples of a reasonable size which people eat as they exit the store. The wonderful fresh odor wafts into the street inviting other shoppers to flock to the store.

Ani, I wonder why we don't have any good garden stores that propagate their plants locally? Ani, you say that the plants in such stores would be less expensive, but I am afraid that maybe the opposite is true. I say this because when we first moved here and up to about 20 years ago there were several such stores. There was Turtle Creek on N. Sharon-Amity Rd. It still exists in Mooresville. There was Harkeys on both Monroe Rd. and Sardis Rd. These were the ones that I patronized. They were great but definitely on the expensive side. They couldn't compete with Home Depot, etc. Furthermore, look at where they were located. Their land was too valuable not to sell for many $$$. Nor, if my memory serves me, could they quickly get the new varieties which were in demand and available at Home Depot, etc. Just wondering about Campbells Nursery off of South Blvd. I know they propagate at least some of their plants themselves. There's also Be Well Hydroponics on Monroe Rd. They grow many of their vegetables and herbs themselves.

I hate it that so many of our old-fashioned hardware stores have closed shop. There are still some left, but they are becoming more and more endangered.

Finally, I'd love to see a few more knitting and sewing stores with unusual and creative fabrics and yarns closer in than Matthews or Stonecrest: maybe in the new Elizabeth Avenue Shopping area or Myers Park. I think they have a hard time competing with the internet . At least that's the story I heard from the owner of the sweet little Sewing Bee which used to be at the Park Rd. Shopping Center.

Ther used to be several school supply or teacher stores that I loved when my kids were little, but here again the internet did them in. Hold on! I just checked in the telephone book and there are several - Learning World has moved to the Tower Place Shopping Center on hwy. 51.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Barb, you may be right. I am basing my "grow it themselves more cheaply" assumption on two wonderful greenhouses I used in the 70s and 80s in Alexander and Catawba Counties . . . and I would get the most wonderful plants there so much cheaper than anywhere else . . . but they were "out in the country" and now subdivisions stand where those greenhouses once sprawled!

What I end up doing is stopping at growers in Florida any time we take a trip down there and loading up on my way back! Now always easy if we have much luggage.

However, my last trip I picked up this GORGEOUS Croton and despite my best efforts, it did not last 5 months.

But back to businesses in S. CLT - your description of a wonderful bakery has me craving freshly baked bread . . .

Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
A bakery like a French boulangerie would be great as well.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM

68 posts, read 257,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
its sad but the general population just doesnt support these establishments, but check out Chilis or Fridays parking lots on any given day....jeesh??
South Charlotte is amazingly bland and suburban, yet you are surprised non-chain restaurants have trouble succeeding?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
A good authentic Cuban restaurant..Tasty! But yes, a specialty bakery would be nice also

Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 AM

61 posts, read 53,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
A good authentic Cuban restaurant..Tasty! But yes, a specialty bakery would be nice also
Several Cuban restaurants have tried but closed within a year or two.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 AM

102 posts, read 285,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
1. Deli (preferably Italian, but German would do)
2. Bakery (same as above)
3. Bagel Store
DING DING!!! CORRECT!

A nice bakery that I could buy bread from not a supermarket. You know fresh challah and rye

A nice Italian place. Luigis is not that good.

Bagels? There is no bagels in steele creek. A bagel place in steele creek would make BUNDLES of money . Heck the thought crossed my mind to open a bagel shop in this area.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 AM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
There was a bagel place in steel creek a couple years ago (Manhatten Bagels) but it went out of business. I went all the time (even though I didn't care for their bagels too much) but no one else seemed to. Don't forget there is a panera bread in the steel creek area. They sell bread and bagels.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynsmom View Post
Several Cuban restaurants have tried but closed within a year or two.
The changing demographics would indicate that a well-run Cuban restaurant in the right location (and I emphasize LOCATION) would do quite well at this point in time . . . I would surely love to see it happen . . .

Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Where were the three restaurants that closed down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or