U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in the area commute to DC? I am relocating and keeping my government job for now and looking for the most economical commute. I go to the DC office 2 times a week
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:33 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,426,770 times
I knew one person who did for a while, went by train. Never heard anything but complaints, she quickly moved on to another job.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
The most economical commute would be walking, but the timing might leave a lot to be desired. Amtrak leaves Charlotte about 1:00 AM, gets to DC about 10:00 AM...can't imagine that would work. I think flying is the only alternative that makes logistical sense, but I'm sure it won't be economical.

I just can't see how that commute is possible.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:43 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,017,237 times
- Amtrak has two trains per day:
20 Crescent departs Charlotte at 1:46AM and arrives in DC at 9:53AM (8hrs, 7 mins)
80 Carolinian departs Charlotte at 7AM and arrives in DC at 4:29PM (9hrs, 29 mins)

- If you drive it is 400 miles, approx 6 hours with no traffic

- A flight is approx 1 hour 15 mins. Direct service is provided to:
Washington National on American Airlines
Washington Dulles on American and United Airlines
Baltimore on American and Southwest Airlines

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,226,891 times
My husband went back and forth for 6 months from our house here back to the DC area (his job was near Dulles). He drove up there on Sunday's and back home on Friday nights. He went 77 to 81 to 7. You could go 81 to 66 and into DC.Will you have a place to stay the night before or will you need to drive up that day?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,750,004 times
Megabus? I'd be surprised if anyone does something like this that isn't getting reimbursed by their employer: I'm assuming you'd work 2 days in a row and stay over somewhere in DC?

Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,226,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Megabus? I'd be surprised if anyone does something like this that isn't getting reimbursed by their employer: I'm assuming you'd work 2 days in a row and stay over somewhere in DC?
My husband didn't get reimbursed from an employer. He found a really good friend that let him stay with them during the week. Maybe the OP has a friend that would let them stay a couple of nights a week until they find a job down here.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My husband didn't get reimbursed from an employer. He found a really good friend that let him stay with them during the week. Maybe the OP has a friend that would let them stay a couple of nights a week until they find a job down here.
Well I am surprised :-). Well it doesn't sound like something someone would want to do for very long if you're not getting reimbursed.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,017,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well I am surprised :-). Well it doesn't sound like something someone would want to do for very long if you're not getting reimbursed.
Employee: "Hi boss! I'm going to quit as soon as I find a job in North Carolina, so you can't count on me being around here much more than 6 months. Will you reimburse my 400 mile commute to work while I move to another city as I prepare to quit and line up a new job?"

Employer: "No"

Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Employee: "Hi boss! I'm going to quit as soon as I find a job in North Carolina, so you can't count on me being around here much more than 6 months. Will you reimburse my 400 mile commute to work while I move to another city as I prepare to quit and line up a new job?"

Employer: "No"
Maybe I should rephrase to say I'd be surprised if many people at all did a commute like that, and if they did I think they'd be more likely to be getting reimbursed.

But have you seen salaries in DC? I bet it's tough to get a comparable salary to DC in Charlotte so the strains of a commute like that could be worth it for the employee in order to keep the salary, especially if they get reimbursed, which depending on the profession/level of employee I think some employers would be willing to do. Lots of people are paid by their employers to travel Monday-Thursday so something like this wouldn't be much different. If the employer was able to work out a deal with a hotel for $150/night or so and reimbursed you about $100/week in gas to drive back and forth they'd be looking at about $35K annually, which would probably be about what they might offer to someone to prevent them from leaving for another job.

Reduce the requirements to maybe only needing to be there every other week or so and I think it'd be even more likely for someone to do that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte