U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Demographic data: income, Waxhaw, Prescott, CLT.

 
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 PM
 
158 posts, read 419,254 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

I thought I'd ask this question as it was triggered from another posting here...In NC or maybe just Union County... what is considered low-middle, middle class, upper middle class and upper class income? Is this a silly question? I hope it doesn't sound like a snobbish question. You don't have to answer for each, particularly if you have a streamlined answer!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
I thought I'd ask this question as it was triggered from another posting here...In NC or maybe just Union County... what is considered low-middle, middle class, upper middle class and upper class income? Is this a silly question? I hope it doesn't sound like a snobbish question. You don't have to answer for each, particularly if you have a streamlined answer!
Thanks!
Seeking demographics on particular areas is something that is done all the time - for all sorts of reasons - including marketing. So it is not a strange question, and there are plenty of stats to describe any area you are interested in.

Typically, detailed data can be found by zip code. Overall, S. CLT has what is considered a very nice median income . . . wh/ is why such stores as Nordstrom's chose to locate at SouthPark - the demographics suggested that retail traffic w/ the right income and buying habits existed in the SouthPark service area.

For the homeowner, locating in a zip code w/ higher than average median income means retailers interested in that demographic profile are either already in or near that zip code . . . or soon will be. Rest assured, when upscale establishments such as a Saks, Neiman Marcus or Norstrom's is in a particular zip code, it is not by accident . . . and other upscale retailers and restaurants will be clustered in that area, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
367 posts, read 928,760 times
Reputation: 117
There is something else to consider here as well. There are many families that move into Charlotte from other areas of the country that made bank on the sales of their homes. Mostly West coast and North East. This allows some to move into higher priced neighborhoods, because they can put down large down payments, thus making the monthly mortgage not too bad. This enabled us to move into a nice middle/upper middle class subdivision and my wife to be able to be a stay at home Mom. I make well under 6 figures. I couldn't give you a income amount one would make to be considered in a certain "class", I think that terminology is kind of outdated. In Charlotte you can't guess a persons salary by where they live, just for the above reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
 
158 posts, read 419,254 times
Reputation: 37
Ahhhhhh. Thank you to you both! Coming from the North and as you mentioned SStarr fairing better in the South with a new home and able to be a house wife/mom. Ani I look to you to possibly let me know if you have an indication. I will be in Waxhaw 28173. That's southeast isn't it? Is that considered middle/upper class? As I read on these post you are a WEALTH of great information. Of course as many others are too, but I don't want to single any out! ;0) Everyone is T-Terrific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 06:36 AM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
Reputation: 1896
If you look at the map, Waxhaw covers a HUGE geographic area. Some of it is considered upscale, and then there are pockets of lower middle to lower income. It just depends.

What part of Waxhaw are you looking at?

Marvin also uses the Waxhaw post office, so Marvin will be in the same zip code.

Do you have children? You may want to look at the schools associated with the homes you are looking at purchasing. Research them and see what you would prefer.

Dawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Ahhhhhh. Thank you to you both! Coming from the North and as you mentioned SStarr fairing better in the South with a new home and able to be a house wife/mom. Ani I look to you to possibly let me know if you have an indication. I will be in Waxhaw 28173. That's southeast isn't it? Is that considered middle/upper class? As I read on these post you are a WEALTH of great information. Of course as many others are too, but I don't want to single any out! ;0) Everyone is T-Terrific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
There is something else to consider here as well. There are many families that move into Charlotte from other areas of the country that made bank on the sales of their homes. Mostly West coast and North East. This allows some to move into higher priced neighborhoods, because they can put down large down payments, thus making the monthly mortgage not too bad. This enabled us to move into a nice middle/upper middle class subdivision and my wife to be able to be a stay at home Mom. I make well under 6 figures. I couldn't give you a income amount one would make to be considered in a certain "class", I think that terminology is kind of outdated. In Charlotte you can't guess a persons salary by where they live, just for the above reason.
Excellent point, and one I have been thinking about a lot (from a marketing standpoint). Remember - when dealing w/ "medians" - $65,000 would be a very nice median income to work with.

The terminology - "class" - is somewhat outdated in the sense of trying to label people as we have so many different styles and variations on how we choose to make - as well as spend - our money. When we talk about class from a sociological vantage point, we would include such things as education level . . . In that context, "wealth" is not necessarily an indication of "class" as people from humble backgrounds can be self-made millionaires, w/o the level of education one associates w/ "social class."

It is a complicated discussion, and one I have thought about a lot . . . being a Southerner where social conventions, one's lineage, old money vs. nouveau riche, etc have all been historically determinations of one's "social status." Of course, all this has changed, wh/ is part of my fascination w/ the topic, as we are now the New South . . . and here in CLT, we are not yet sure what this means, LOL. I use "we" in the most collective of meanings, as I am not saying Southerners don't know what it means - I am waiting to see what identity CLT emerges w/ in five years, as "we" are all in this grand experiment together . . . natives and newcomers!!!

There are several books available on the subject wh/ I will post later.

So Tisquato . . . answering your question . . . w/o simply relying on median income (wh/ is also changing as we continue developing new areas) . . . is not an easy one.

Do we want to base "class" on % of Luxury Vehicles registered per square mile in any given zip code? Or houses over $500,000? Or private school attendance? Or sales of Louis Vuitton purses, LOL???

Or . . . do we want to measure it based on advanced degrees per neighborhood? Or how many stay-at-home moms per zip code?
Or how many vacations a person takes per year? (sidenote: would you believe - all the aforementioned info is in databases!!! )

It used to be . . . people would ask where you live and make an assumption as to your "wealth." No longer the case . . . Boomers have helped change this demographic. Many Boomers are down-sizing into less expensive homes . . .and as Sstarx3 noted . . . the phenomena can work in the opposite way, as well - younger couples w/o salaries that necessarily would equate to what one would consider necessary for purchasing a $500,000 home are in many neighborhoods b/c of relocation and large downpayments . . . Yes, it gets complicated!!!

So to sum up . . . we must consider that the "identity" of CLT is yet to be established on many levels! We are a changing city (and metro area!) I like the changes. I would love to see Americans b/cm more European - where people stop judging people's "value" based on income, job status, home appraisal . . . maybe that is what the New South is all about.

Waxhaw is a rapidly changing area! Our metro is running together. To say "Charlotte metro" is to encompass an North to South stretch from Mooresville (in my opinion) into SC. There are no longer small enclaves where people w/ similar networth statements cluster, LOL!!! (Well, perhaps Myer's Park . . . )

Let's just say . . . you will be in a nice area . . . w/ upscale conveniences at your disposal . . . and if you have children, Dawn's advice is good. Just realize, as the metro area continues to grow . . . school districts can change . . . My research indicates a median income for that zipcode of over $70,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
 
158 posts, read 419,254 times
Reputation: 37
Thank you so much Dawn and Ani! As expected, the information is awesome and holds true on the question. I recognize and realize its a difficult and broad question to answer. Ani you have satisfied my question in your last paragraph. ;0) Thank you!
Dawn we have one 13 year old son. We have purchased a home already and building should be complete at the end of April, however we will not be there until July. We are off of Waxhaw-Marvin Road in the Prescot Community. (By the way, any info that you've heard about them?) Our son will be attending Marvin Ridge Middle and we are excited about that as we hear the school is great. I so look forward to getting down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Thank you so much Dawn and Ani! As expected, the information is awesome and holds true on the question. I recognize and realize its a difficult and broad question to answer. Ani you have satisfied my question in your last paragraph. ;0) Thank you!
Dawn we have one 13 year old son. We have purchased a home already and building should be complete at the end of April, however we will not be there until July. We are off of Waxhaw-Marvin Road in the Prescot Community. (By the way, any info that you've heard about them?) Our son will be attending Marvin Ridge Middle and we are excited about that as we hear the school is great. I so look forward to getting down there!
Hee Hee - I am glad I answered your question, even if you had to endure some Sun. morning pontificating on one of my favorite subjects - What defines "class" and "status."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
Reputation: 1896
Marvin Ridge is considered the best in the area right now. Some people may argue that point, but I think that test scores and parent involvement prove otherwise.

I think you will be really happy with Marvin schools.

Prescot......Oh dear, where are they? I am near where Waxhaw-Marvin and Bonds Grove Church meet, I live off of Bonds Grove Church Rd......would I go south at Waxhaw Marvin to get to Prescot?

Dawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Thank you so much Dawn and Ani! As expected, the information is awesome and holds true on the question. I recognize and realize its a difficult and broad question to answer. Ani you have satisfied my question in your last paragraph. ;0) Thank you!
Dawn we have one 13 year old son. We have purchased a home already and building should be complete at the end of April, however we will not be there until July. We are off of Waxhaw-Marvin Road in the Prescot Community. (By the way, any info that you've heard about them?) Our son will be attending Marvin Ridge Middle and we are excited about that as we hear the school is great. I so look forward to getting down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 PM
 
158 posts, read 419,254 times
Reputation: 37
Hi Dawn~

Since I am not there yet I have yet to get my bearings together. I believe Prescot is one of the best kept secrets because no to many people know where it is. I am near Kensington Road off of Waxhaw Marvin Road. Do you know where that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top