U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 AM
 
391 posts, read 240,914 times
Reputation: 262

Advertisements

I believe there have been more murders uptown this year than in the previous 10. We need more cops, more jails (no so comfortable) and longer jail sentences. I don't want these thugs destroying our peaceful uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM
 
1,453 posts, read 993,629 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I believe there have been more murders uptown this year than in the previous 10. We need more cops, more jails (no so comfortable) and longer jail sentences. I don't want these thugs destroying our peaceful uptown.
Other than New York City, all of the cities with the highest ratio of police officers to citizens have significantly higher murder rates than Charlotte. If there is a correlation between declining homicide rates and increased police presence, these cities should be some of the safest cities in the country. Instead they are some of the most dangerous. The reality is homicide rates are heavily related to poverty and gangs and then for domestic disputes / crime of passion, the presence of a gun in the household. More police doesn't typically stop the crime because you can never have enough to completely cover a city and all the dark alley ways. Sprawling cities are also dramatically more challenging to patrol than urban cities like New York (eyes and hears of citizens all around to be a witness). Some cities have a higher ratio of guns in the household which lead to fatal domestic disputes.

CITY: \ OFFICERS: \ OFFICERS PER 10K CITIZENS \ MURDER RATE PER 100K CITIZENS
Washington, DC \ 3,867 \ 61.2 \ 20.1
Baltimore, MD \ 2,962 \ 53.4 \ 51.2
Chicago, IL \ 11,944 \ 44.1 \ 27.9
Wilmington, DE \ 368 \ 42.6 \ 33.4
Philadelphia, PA\ 6,526 \ 42.4 \ 17.7
New York, NY \34,555 \ 41.7 \ 3.9
St. Louis, MO \1,322 \ 41.5 \ 59.3
Miami Beach, FL \372 \ 40.8 \ NA
Atlanta, GA \ 1,775 \ 40.6 \ 23.9
Birmingham, AL \865 \ 40.6 \ 48.9
Hartford, CT \478 \ 38.2 \ 11.2
Newark, NJ \ 1,062 \ 38.1 \ 33.0
Cleveland, OH \1,481 \ 37.6 \ 35.0
Memphis, TN \2,416 \ 36.7 \ 31.9
Detroit, MI \ 2,570 \ 36.3 \ 44.9

Charlotte, NC \ 1,717 \ 21.2 \ 8.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,146 times
Reputation: 22
I hope this wasn't anyone that posted here:

Couple visiting Charlotte sexually assaulted, robbed near uptown convention center

Charlotte visitors robbed of their clothing, sexually assaulted near convention center | Charlotte Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 04:04 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,146 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Awful story and completely outside of the norm. Charlotte is very safe to walk at night or day despite that awful story.
I have a feeling you don't watch the local news. It has been horrific lately. I wish it wasn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 04:42 PM
 
520 posts, read 298,590 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Awful story and completely outside of the norm. Charlotte is very safe to walk at night or day despite that awful story.
not sure you read the bold paragraph in my previous quote, so here it is again:

Quote:
the number of rapes in the area declined from five in 2016 to three in 2017, aggravated assaults involving a firearm increased sharply, from 19 in 2016 to 33 in 2017
you might choose to ignore reality or maybe you don't really walk uptown at night time. Unlike you I do recommend awareness and especially would never recommend for a single lady to walk alone.

The revolving door lax policy with criminals is to blame and I do not understand how judges (who release the criminal element to society so easy) can sleep tight at night.
Problem is that most of these crimes are committed by same people who go in and out prison like in a summer education training/enhancement camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Reputation: 1660
Spend $5 on Uber/Lyft and not worry about it. Saves sweat and worry, unless your Uber drive is off the rails but don't think that's been an issue in CLT at least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Spend $5 on Uber/Lyft and not worry about it. Saves sweat and worry, unless your Uber drive is off the rails but don't think that's been an issue in CLT at least!
Uber passengers being off the rails in CLT is an issue though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Uber passengers being off the rails in CLT is an issue though...
Totally agree there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 AM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Reputation: 1407
If you're using the prevelance of violent stories on local news to base conclusions about safety, that is the issue.

What is the context for the 33 assaults upstown? Is that number large? Small? How do you know? Do you think uptown pedestrian traffic is shrinking or rising?

The fact is walking in uptown Charlotte is very safe anytime of day/night despite a few awful occurrences. It is one of the fastest growing areas of town in one of the fastest growing towns in America. The entertainment, culture and offerings are only growing and it is an exciting time to enjoy Charlotte nightlife. If that's not for you, that's fine, but to conclude that it is unsafe to walk at night is simply untrue.

One off anecdotes, statistics out of context, and reliance on local news negativity isn't enough to draw that conclusion. But hey, if you don't want to walk there don't do it. Just don't say you can't because it's unsafe. Say you don't because you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
If you're using the prevelance of violent stories on local news to base conclusions about safety, that is the issue.

What is the context for the 33 assaults upstown? Is that number large? Small? How do you know? Do you think uptown pedestrian traffic is shrinking or rising?

The fact is walking in uptown Charlotte is very safe anytime of day/night despite a few awful occurrences. It is one of the fastest growing areas of town in one of the fastest growing towns in America. The entertainment, culture and offerings are only growing and it is an exciting time to enjoy Charlotte nightlife. If that's not for you, that's fine, but to conclude that it is unsafe to walk at night is simply untrue.

One off anecdotes, statistics out of context, and reliance on local news negativity isn't enough to draw that conclusion. But hey, if you don't want to walk there don't do it. Just don't say you can't because it's unsafe. Say you don't because you don't want to.
Can't there be a middle ground? It's probably not "unsafe," but the fact that those stories happened at all shows that it's not "completely safe" IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top