U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:13 AM

364 posts, read 1,044,452 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions regarding termites. We just purchased a Centex home and the company they suggest is Home Team (also doing pest defense). Our home was treated with termite preventative before construction started. For 5 years, we pay an annual 150 fee for an inspection and they will stop any termite activity and pay for any damages. However, after the 5 years we have to pay 1200 for a bait system to be installed and pay 300 year for monitoring to keep the warranty of 1,000,000 on the house. I know termite damage is not covered by home insurance.

Here's my question:
The first 5 years, seems reasonable, but how likely is it for us to get termites in that time if the wood is already pre-treated? Also, the area in which the home was built has a LOT of rock in the ground, are termites going to get through the rock to damage the house?

Second, I really don't want to spend the money to install a system- can we just get an inspection each year and take it that way- do we need the warranty?

Third, do any other companies offer a warranty on the home for termite damage and do you know their costs?

Any advice on this matter would be helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,228,772 times
Your on a slab, right?

Just have it inspected every so often, it should run you about $75 for an inspection.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 AM

69 posts, read 163,709 times
Termites are a big problem here in the south. Generally, it's not IF you will get them, it's WHEN. Their colonies can travel 100-300 yards in any direction underground. Your house is more vulnerable if you have wood chips or straw around the perimeter of the house, versus stone or simply nothing (although straw or wood chips are pretty, renove them!.) When termites attacked my house 6 years ago I had to have the cement pad the house sits on drilled through both inside and out at regular intervals and poison infused in the ground beneath. The company that did the treatment warrantied the house for 7 years from treatment IF I had regular (every 3 months) inspections for any termite activity. If termites returned, they would re-treat the house at no cost to me. Bottom line is if you have a wood structure (house), chances are you'll get termites whether or not the wood is treated. The treatments can be very expensive and disruptive, and warranties don't last forever.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,828 times
You seem to know a lot about the topic. Is it better to have a new house with a crawl space or a slab. I have a crawl space. Since my house is new, I have pine needles surrounding the perimeter. I am going to remove the pine needles this summer, when I move in, and replace them with cedar chips as I don't want a yard. Is this a good move? It is only about 12 feet from my house to the next house(s). Also, does Orkin or some other exterminator company have a deal that covers all pests as far as you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrusselsSprouts View Post
Termites are a big problem here in the south. Generally, it's not IF you will get them, it's WHEN. Their colonies can travel 100-300 yards in any direction underground. Your house is more vulnerable if you have wood chips or straw around the perimeter of the house, versus stone or simply nothing (although straw or wood chips are pretty, renove them!.) When termites attacked my house 6 years ago I had to have the cement pad the house sits on drilled through both inside and out at regular intervals and poison infused in the ground beneath. The company that did the treatment warrantied the house for 7 years from treatment IF I had regular (every 3 months) inspections for any termite activity. If termites returned, they would re-treat the house at no cost to me. Bottom line is if you have a wood structure (house), chances are you'll get termites whether or not the wood is treated. The treatments can be very expensive and disruptive, and warranties don't last forever.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,792,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
I have a few questions regarding termites. We just purchased a Centex home and the company they suggest is Home Team (also doing pest defense). Our home was treated with termite preventative before construction started. For 5 years, we pay an annual 150 fee for an inspection and they will stop any termite activity and pay for any damages. However, after the 5 years we have to pay 1200 for a bait system to be installed and pay 300 year for monitoring to keep the warranty of 1,000,000 on the house. I know termite damage is not covered by home insurance.

Here's my question:
The first 5 years, seems reasonable, but how likely is it for us to get termites in that time if the wood is already pre-treated? Also, the area in which the home was built has a LOT of rock in the ground, are termites going to get through the rock to damage the house?

Second, I really don't want to spend the money to install a system- can we just get an inspection each year and take it that way- do we need the warranty?

Third, do any other companies offer a warranty on the home for termite damage and do you know their costs?

Any advice on this matter would be helpful! Thanks!
My home was built with a "Tubes in the Wall" system & we use Home Team Pest. They treat the house every quarter ($75) & once a year for termites ($200). Home Team is great, no problems with them. If you see anything crawling, inside or out, between treatments they'll come back at no additional cost. Termites can be a big problem here, better to be safe than sorry.

BxRosie

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

55 posts, read 192,833 times
Default pest services

Hi,
We have regular pest service, but did not contract for termite protection. Our house does have a crawl space and woods in the back so we got a couple of estimates for termite protection. The first estimate was over 1300.00 with a national company. The second estimate with a smaller company was a third of that with a better warranty. The company is valuepest and we are planning to give them a try. Anyone else hired this company and were you happy with their work etc?

Last edited by flyfast; 03-13-2008 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte