Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM

162 posts, read 213,286 times

Advertisements

Maybe the drivers that drive 20 under in the left lane on the highway, randomly meander between lanes without using their turn signals, or... my favorite... wait for cars to come to a complete stop at all for 4 directions of a 4 way stop before anyone goes (if I'm 200 feet from the intersection and you're already stopped at it, you can go without waiting for me to get there and come to a stop) makes people get impatient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM

78 posts, read 94,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
Maybe the drivers that drive 20 under in the left lane on the highway, randomly meander between lanes without using their turn signals, or... my favorite... wait for cars to come to a complete stop at all for 4 directions of a 4 way stop before anyone goes (if I'm 200 feet from the intersection and you're already stopped at it, you can go without waiting for me to get there and come to a stop) makes people get impatient.
Let's not forget the "courteous" drivers who leave three car lengths of space between them and the vehicle in front of them. Why?!?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
I came from Long Island, NY almost 4 years ago. Anyone familiar with the LIE or even the Southern State sometimes knows what a nightmare it is... you just have to accept the reality of the traffic. I drive to Myers Park from Concord (and back, obviously) for work every day and the traffic is not too different. The three main things I do notice are: at least there is a little movement in traffic most of time here; the LIE could be a literal stand-still. In NY, it seemed like even the most manic road-rager used his turn signal; I see a lot of no-signal lane-changes here. And compared to NY, tailgating at speed is almost non-existent here - at least in my experience. Overall, I'll take Charlotte-area traffic!.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:26 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
I've noticed it too. On the other hand, I've never experienced a friendly driving experience in any metro of over 1 million people. Charlotte is now 2.5 times that figure. It will only get worse....

Here's a tip from someone who drives for a living. Blow the horn and ask for permission to move over in heavy traffic. For some strange reason, people snap out of their "selfish driver mode" when you ask for help instead of taking that lane change by force. It really works, try it.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 AM

345 posts, read 871,452 times
Behavior is contagious, hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 AM

391 posts, read 402,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The influx of transplants has increased the traffic. I'm a transplant myself and it amazes me that people still don't know how to merge on or off of a highway. They wait until the very last possible second to take the exit they want/need and it doesn't matter if there are 50 cars in the way. They just dart right on over. They think they don't need to wait in line like everyone else is doing.
That is a national bad habit, not just a Charlotte event. It rates up there with driving slowly in the passing lanes, texting, dialing, and not yielding to pedestrians at ped crossings. Actually, I have seen it worldwide. I believe that people are just morons these days.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:01 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I've noticed it too. On the other hand, I've never experienced a friendly driving experience in any metro of over 1 million people. Charlotte is now 2.5 times that figure. It will only get worse....

Here's a tip from someone who drives for a living. Blow the horn and ask for permission to move over in heavy traffic. For some strange reason, people snap out of their "selfish driver mode" when you ask for help instead of taking that lane change by force. It really works, try it.
This would not work in Nassau County, circa 2017; the majority of drivers will edge you out, and get irate over the fact that you wanted to get in front of them.

That's the primary reason why many Islanders have left LI: some for taxes; some for weather, while others got tired of LI ugly.

Some Islanders relocate to Charlotte and adapt, while others retain their frenzy.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I've been here over 50 years, and yes things have changed.......... thank God.
If things hadn't changed we would be stuck in a time warp.
Outside of racial prejudice/discrimination, what in Charlotte needed changing?

In the smaller towns well outside of Charlotte, I see a lot more courtesy, thoughtfulness, the exchange of pleasantries, and a lack of traffic - which makes me think that Charlotte was once that way.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
It's not so much that the transplants are creating havoc. Most people who live in Charlotte are transplants. It's an age and maturity issue. Charlotte is a mecca for job seekers who tend to be young people who are still immortal.

The next time you are cut off in traffic, are tailgated, or observe some other stunt, observe the age of the driver.

Then watch him drive right into a tree.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Outside of racial prejudice/discrimination, what in Charlotte needed changing?

In the smaller towns well outside of Charlotte, I see a lot more courtesy, thoughtfulness, the exchange of pleasantries, and a lack of traffic - which makes me think that Charlotte was once that way.
Maybe "change" was a poor choice of wording, improvement or growth may have been a better choice.

1. Wider variety of people that always provide talking points when in public and interacting. (I still talk to strangers in restaurants, movies, queuing lines, etc.)
2. Increase in Restaurant choices.
3. Better/more grocery choices and a greater variety of products
4. Convenience, a bank on every corner, home improvement stores located easily for most neighborhoods
5. Transportation: Airport that serves so many more direct flights, auto/truck rental variety and locations
6. Retail product variety in general
7. TV programming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte