Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,314 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We moved to Waxhaw in January and noticed that the water coming out of our faucets smells like soap and tastes so bad that we now buy bottled water. I also noticed that if I turn on the faucet and cup my hands under the running water that the bubbles that form is as if I have soap on my hands.

I was just wonder is anyone else has this problem or if it is just the house we live in. If it is our house who do we call to test our water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM

27 posts, read 88,119 times
Hi!
You are not the only one with smelly water. We live in Lawson, when we moved here the water came out bubbly for a while and then as you keep running it, it runs clear. It must be a new house thing? Something with the pipeing-who knows. It will get normal the longer your there. As for the smell- I only smell it on occassion. Nothing to be alarmed with. I would maybe ask the person in charge of your development for some advice. I hope I was some help!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM

364 posts, read 1,168,146 times
We have bubbly water in a new home in Indian Trail. My mother-in-law said it has to do with some sort of gas (harmless) in the water. Not sure how accurate thisis, but it should clear up on it's own.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM

28 posts, read 69,465 times
I, too, live in Lawson. But, I've never experienced bubbles or smells.
I hope that it's an new pipe thing, because my water seems fine.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticaltravlr View Post
Hi,

We moved to Waxhaw in January and noticed that the water coming out of our faucets smells like soap and tastes so bad that we now buy bottled water. I also noticed that if I turn on the faucet and cup my hands under the running water that the bubbles that form is as if I have soap on my hands.

I was just wonder is anyone else has this problem or if it is just the house we live in. If it is our house who do we call to test our water?
Do you know if your home is on Union County water? Here's a link to the County website with phone contacts:

Water

If you are not on County water and have a private well, you may want to take a sample to the Union County Health Department and have them check it out for you.

Environmental Health

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 PM

252 posts, read 879,777 times
I live in Cabarrus County and the water smells bad, looks bad and tastes bad. My friend lives in Cureton and he had to get a purification system. We both moved from NY where the water basically has no taste, so maybe its just the change, BUT the smell.. well the long time NC residents see nothing wrong with it so I guess we have to get used to it

Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Hmm...if you were on well water, I might attribute a smell to minerals or something (folks with a lot of lime in their water sometimes report a "soapy" smell/flavor. But with County water, the only smell I would think would be chlorine from it being treated. Is it possible that the new water lines run to your new home just have not been flushed properly? Maybe you should open all your faucets and just let them run for a while to rinse them well. If you are concerned, I'd take a sample and let someone check it out for you.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,314 times
The house was built in 2004 and is in Camberly and is county water. It just seems alarming when you water has bubbles the resemble soap bubbles, I know water is purified but is seems if there are bubbles and a smell it either purified too much or not enough.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
I'm in Charlotte and my water tastes like fish and occasionally comes out brown. I think that the local governments here have trouble with providing good water.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I'm in Charlotte and my water tastes like fish and occasionally comes out brown. I think that the local governments here have trouble with providing good water.
Actually, that's not correct - Char Meck has a very good clean water supply. You may be having a problem in your particular line with some old pipes or something. But if you call them and report it they will come out and take samples almost right away and get to the bottom of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte