U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we wait for another relocation
Yes 18 58.06%
No 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:21 PM

46 posts, read 34,834 times

Advertisements

Thank You!

Is it just 77 that's a mess everyday or does 85 and 485 get just as busy. I notice some areas also are accessible by 49.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 AM

775 posts, read 1,305,886 times
As someone that moved here in October, I'm going to chime in with an opinion. Rent for a year. Get a feel for the area. It will make a big difference. That's what we did and we know a lot more about where we want to buy when we decide to purchase here. Not going to buy now, it is a sellers market and houses are on the high end of the market, selling in days, if not hours, for desirable locations.

As for the traffic question you just asked, 485 backs up on the outer lanes from 77 all the way past Rea Rd in the afternoons, 77 is bad during all rush hours.

Also, 1 thing that may have caused a bit of confusion is that Arysley is not really near 85, its off 485 at Tryon, probably 6 -7 miles from 85. When we were searching for rentals that area did have quite a few homes and townhomes available, a lot will come down to how much you are willing to spend to rent. We ended up in South Charlotte, Blakeney, and absolutely love it.

Good luck, you won't regret the move to Charlotte. It may not be the "southern" town you were thinking of, but it is a really good place for a family.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:11 AM

For some reason I thought it was 85.
We are currently looking pltowards renting but need to be cautious about the area because I do not want to move the kids again out of their schools. Hopefully we can find a place to rent with good schools that we can later purchase in (that's our goal).

Old 05-29-2017, 07:21 AM

775 posts, read 1,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngrl View Post
For some reason I thought it was 85.
We are currently looking pltowards renting but need to be cautious about the area because I do not want to move the kids again out of their schools. Hopefully we can find a place to rent with good schools that we can later purchase in (that's our goal).
I know it's 1 more cog to throw at you, but look at Indian Land or Fort Mill, just over the border in SC. Nation Ford HS is highly rated and that area is not far from Arysley. A couple of back ways to get there without going on 77 or 485 as well. Right near Carowinds, and housing costs in SC are lower.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I know it's 1 more cog to throw at you, but look at Indian Land or Fort Mill, just over the border in SC. Nation Ford HS is highly rated and that area is not far from Arysley. A couple of back ways to get there without going on 77 or 485 as well. Right near Carowinds, and housing costs in SC are lower.
Thank you!

Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 AM

186 posts, read 215,064 times
Regarding moving and school changes:
I worked in multiple schools for more than 30 years, many levels and grades. It was my experience that students who were at a new school were anxious and timid the first day then adventurous the second day and by the end of the first week at the new school they could barely remember going anywhere else. This applies to well adjusted children, with supportive parents and with adequate academic preparation.
It is never easy, for adults or children, to leave a well loved home for an unknowable future. Change is difficult. We adults often transfer our concerns onto the children when the children have a different experience entirely.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:34 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Wow! Do you feel significant enough to run a poll about your decision? How pretentious is that. Are you under the impression that anyone really cares what you do? Stay in Ohio. Charlotte has enough undesirable transplants already. I won't take a stupid poll, but my answer is "wait." You need to stay where you are. Good luck in any future decision, but I personally hope you stay with your own kind.
How fortunate that Charlotte has been blessed with your wonderful and charming personality. Lucky us!

Old 05-29-2017, 01:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Not really, Fort Mill is one of the more expensive suburbs in the metro. But that's because they have some of the highest rated schools, although apparently one of OP's kids thinks one of them looks like a prison.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM

I believe it was Fort Mill HS that they thought looked like a prison. Looking at the school online, I think we drove in on the back side of it. There was nothing saying what actual school it was and all they saw was tons of brown brick. They are used to lots of greenery and big signs for all the High Schools here, many were rebuilt within the last few years and those that were not resemble castles with lots of stone architecture....that's just what they are accustomed to.

As far as Fort Mill, we had no idea where exactly to go but just drove past Baxter and ended up going through an older downtown area, railroad tracks and a Hardees. Besides the HS, that's really all we saw of Fort Mill. Please tell me there's lots more lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions of neighborhoods in Indian Hill or Clover. Houses or townhomes to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte