Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we wait for another relocation
Yes 18 58.06%
No 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 PM

170 posts, read 286,720 times

Advertisements

Regarding schools- Fort Mill is getting a new Catholic high school in fall 2017. It will be starting at St. Philip Neri Church with about 50 students in 9th grade. Then 9th and 10 the following year, and so on…. I think thats the plan. Just wanted you to know potential options.

I didn't read every post here but you are right, Charlotte is not charming like parts of Ohio. But, you will adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Please rent for a year before you buy. Most posters (myself included) will recommend places where they live. This may not be the best place for you.

Too many people make the mistake of buying a home without knowing the area and then they are miserable. I have read too many posts over the years from people who moved to 'Charlotte' and were miserable - only to find they actually moved to BFE and have a 45 minute commute to work.

Find a safe rental in proximity to your husbands job and take a year to get acclimated.

I think some of us were put off by you saying you are not impressed with Charlotte. Choosing the right area is VERY important in determining if you are going to like it here.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:53 AM

6 posts, read 4,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngrl View Post
My husband was recently offered a relocation package to Charlotte and we are not sure what to do. The package is amazing but there's only one problem..... I was not impressed with it one bit when I visited. Let me start off by saying that we are from Northern Ohio where you can live in a great house for around 200,000. After looking at real estate prices, I was blown away that it basically buys you a shack in Charlotte. I hated the traffic and did not get a "southern charm" vibe at all. I presume that there has to be some area outside of Charlotte (within 25 miles) that has affordable housing as well as decent schools. We would be moving a 16, 11 and 1 year old. He is not in the banking industry but transportation so a budget of 500,000 is unrealistic. Here's just a few facts:

The company is right off 85/ by Ayrsley

Housing budget would not exceed 1800/month for rent or House payment. The relocation offer is total handling of selling our home, paying our housing for 1 year, all moving expenses and cash for misc. No other offer will be that generous.
Schools are important
Small town feel is important
We have no choice but to move, his company is pulling out of our city
We are used to a population of 250,000
Visted Fort Mill and my children said the schools look like a prison

With that being said, we are not sure another offer like this will come up but there will be other locations.

Help!
I'm relocating next month from D.C. Area. Try Harrisburg, and Huntersvillle . Great schools and nice affordable homes. Commute to Charlotte is 20/25 min without traffic but it's worth it if your are thinking of schools and housing . I loved Moss Creek and schools in the area. Highland Creek, Concord is also nice with good schools

Last edited by Kimcheri; 06-01-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimcheri View Post
I'm relocating next month from D.C. Area. Try Harrisburg, and Huntersvillle . Great schools and nice affordable homes. Commute to Charlotte is 20/25 min without traffic but it's worth it if your are thinking of schools and housing . I loved Moss Creek and schools in the area. Highland Creek, Concord is also nice with good schools
To OP's work location (south of Uptown) they are 30 minutes without traffic.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
My husband was recently offered a relocation package to Charlotte and we are not sure what to do. The package is amazing but there's only one problem..... I was not impressed with it one bit when I visited. Let me start off by saying that we are from Northern Ohio where you can live in a great house for around 200,000. After looking at real estate prices, I was blown away that it basically buys you a shack in Charlotte. I hated the traffic and did not get a "southern charm" vibe at all. I presume that there has to be some area outside of Charlotte (within 25 miles) that has affordable housing as well as decent schools. We would be moving a 16, 11 and 1 year old. He is not in the banking industry but transportation so a budget of 500,000 is unrealistic. Here's just a few facts:

The company is right off 85/ by Ayrsley

Housing budget would not exceed 1800/month for rent or House payment. The relocation offer is total handling of selling our home, paying our housing for 1 year, all moving expenses and cash for misc. No other offer will be that generous.
Schools are important
Small town feel is important
We have no choice but to move, his company is pulling out of our city
We are used to a population of 250,000
Visted Fort Mill and my children said the schools look like a prison

With that being said, we are not sure another offer like this will come up but there will be other locations.

Help!
You can't find anything in Charlotte that fits your standards for $1800 a month??? A shack for $200,000??? I do not think you know what the real estate market looks like in the rest of the country.

I've seen massive 4 bedroom colonials for less than that on both terms around Charlotte. If you are blown away with their housing market come to SWFL so you can appreciate what you have in Ohio and NC. $1800 a month won't even get you a studio apt in the bad part of town.. $200,000 won't even get you a closet in a back shed. Sounds like you've lived in a pretty safe and affordable real estate bubble. In the real world $200,000 for a house is a killer price. I'd be happy if I found a starter fixer upper 1 bed for under $300,000 with not even a whiff of ocean air where I'm living.

I found an amazing beautiful 3/2 town home almost 2000 sqft to rent for $1100 in Steel Creek only 15 mins to uptown in a stellar planned community with pools and playgrounds and dog parks. For $1800 a month I could rent an ungodly amount of space in Charlotte....

I've seen this complaint from other people from Ohio in the Fla forum. My advise... if its that good in Ohio then stay and make it work with another job. It sounds to me housing isn't the only issue you have with Charlotte.

Btw.. I found this shack for $225,000 in Matthews

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 06-02-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM

339 posts, read 715,691 times
No one that I can see has mentioned it, but McAddenville would have the southern charm, small town feel, yet close to Arsley. You can look it up online - the whole town does Christmas lights and it's a big deal around here. Good luck with your move. And no, I don't live in McAddenville but always thought it would be a great place to live.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 AM

54 posts, read 64,298 times
Quote:
Our family is in Ohio, my parent's will move to the Carolinas within 2 years.

My best friend lives in Raleigh and his best friends live in Inman, SC. The rest of my family is all over the US.

The offer won't be like that with any other location because he has worked with the director of this site and he knows my husband is worth it. All of the other guys are looking as well, the most anyone else has gotten was a flat taxable rate of 17,000.

There are other locations in Texas, California, Indiana and Washington.

As far as the South, It's were we wanted to move in 8 years anyway, not necessarily Charlotte but somewhere.

In all fairness to Charlotte, I suppose this northern girl was expecting more southern charm and southern homes. I love Savannah and Hilton Head area as well as Raleigh. At this point we have 4 weeks left before there is no job.

You need to go further South for the southern hospitality and charm. Learned that the hard way after moving here from CA. Ayrsley is off 485 not 85 and I don't care for that entire area at all-we used to live in Steele Creek. You won't find the small hometown feel unless you get out of Meck county-look in York, Lancaster, or Union county but I would also be mindful of having a commute. All of your concerns and thoughts were the same as mine, and although Charlotte has been very good to us financially and in terms of careers, outside of that I would move back home in a heartbeat. Even after 10yrs of living here, it still hasn't gotten any better for us.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 PM

54 posts, read 64,298 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions of neighborhoods in Indian Hill or Clover. Houses or townhomes to rent?

Bump over to the SC forum and look in Lancaster/York where you will probably find more info.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Unfortunately the "southern charm" you are looking for has been diluted in NC by all the transplants from the North. You'd have to move out beyond the larger cities in NC to actually find that as it does exist, just not where there are tons of folks not from the south living, such as Charlotte and the surrounding areas.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
In all fairness to Charlotte, I suppose this northern girl was expecting more southern charm and southern homes. I love Savannah and Hilton Head area as well as Raleigh. At this point we have 4 weeks left before there is no job.
Sooooo....you experienced "southern charm" in Hilton Head and Raleigh, but not Charlotte? Hilton Head and Raleigh are probably even MORE saturated with Northern transplants than Charlotte (on a per capita basis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte