Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 01:46 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,502 posts, read 5,583,874 times

Advertisements

I'm not a regular consumer of fast food (sans Chick Fil A), but Krystals is a favorite of mine.

Anyone know when and why they pulled out of Charlotte? I can't imagine them not doing good business...I'd love to see them back in town .
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 02:10 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I'm not a regular consumer of fast food (sans Chick Fil A), but Krystals is a favorite of mine.

Anyone know when and why they pulled out of Charlotte? I can't imagine them not doing good business...I'd love to see them back in town .
They're in Gaffney. If you go to the main Hamricks, you could go to Krystals. I wouldn't suggest going there just for the burger. There's the main Hamricks & the outlet mall.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:18 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,502 posts, read 5,583,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They're in Gaffney. If you go to the main Hamricks, you could go to Krystals. I wouldn't suggest going there just for the burger. There's the main Hamricks & the outlet mall.
I've been to that Krystals (Gaffney), and I love their burgers...can't imagine them doing poor business in Charlotte; always see them busy in GA and TN. Wonder why they pulled out of this area?

A couple of years ago, there was a rumor that Krystals or White Castle was coming to Concord, but that never surfaced.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I've been to that Krystals (Gaffney), and I love their burgers...can't imagine them doing poor business in Charlotte; always see them busy in GA and TN. Wonder why they pulled out of this area?

A couple of years ago, there was a rumor that Krystals or White Castle was coming to Concord, but that never surfaced.
I'd guess that the demographic changes played in it. There was talk of Krystals, White Castle & Popeye's. Popeye's showed up.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,464,406 times
I remember seeing a Krystal in Asheville as well over a decade ago, but it has since closed as well.

While we're talking about fast food in Charlotte, I wish we had a Jack in the Box here in the Triangle. Charlotte has a few, but not very many.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:04 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,845,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I remember seeing a Krystal in Asheville as well over a decade ago, but it has since closed as well.

While we're talking about fast food in Charlotte, I wish we had a Jack in the Box here in the Triangle. Charlotte has a few, but not very many.
Many of the Jack's in this area closed over the past few years (Mooresville, Statesville, Hickory, etc.). Not sure what happened. I liked them as an option.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,263,203 times
As mentioned, the nearest Krystal locations are Gaffney in SC, as well as Greenville, SC. Apparently the Krystal locations in Charlotte did not do well. Not sure why. They had good locations on South BLvd. and Billy Graham Parkway. I believe both became McDonald's. As for similar competitor White Castle, they only overlap with Krystal in parts of Kentucky and perhaps Tennessee. They do not move further south.

As for Jack in the Box, they were converted from corporate owned to franchise stores, and the new owner closed weaker performing stores, or stores that were on properties with high rent such as certain shopping strip centers. I agree they do offer nice menu variety and the shakes are good. I enjoy the Ultimate Cheeseburger, Loaded Breakfast sandwich, breakfast burritos, and even those cheap deep fried tacos.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
As mentioned, the nearest Krystal locations are Gaffney in SC, as well as Greenville, SC. Apparently the Krystal locations in Charlotte did not do well. Not sure why. They had good locations on South BLvd. and Billy Graham Parkway. I believe both became McDonald's. As for similar competitor White Castle, they only overlap with Krystal in parts of Kentucky and perhaps Tennessee. They do not move further south.

As for Jack in the Box, they were converted from corporate owned to franchise stores, and the new owner closed weaker performing stores, or stores that were on properties with high rent such as certain shopping strip centers. I agree they do offer nice menu variety and the shakes are good. I enjoy the Ultimate Cheeseburger, Loaded Breakfast sandwich, breakfast burritos, and even those cheap deep fried tacos.
Jack in the Box is in Shelby & Dallas, two places that you wouldn't expect. The one in Dallas must be one of the highest grossing in the area. It's on the edge of Gaston County College & there aren't that many options.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jack in the Box is in Shelby & Dallas, two places that you wouldn't expect. The one in Dallas must be one of the highest grossing in the area. It's on the edge of Gaston County College & there aren't that many options.
We also have Jack in the Box in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, SC. But they closed several stores a few years ago after the franchisee took over from corporate. One location at Milestone Plaza on Pelham Rd. in Greenville did a good business, but the rent was so high the franchisee chose not to renew the lease. There is also a Hardee's, McDonald's, Bojangle's and Chic-fil-a in the same area. Tough competition. The former Jack became a Taco Bell.

Apparently the same franchisee owns both the NC and SC stores for Jack in the Box. The furthest western locations are Anderson, SC and Hendersonville, NC. I believe the Carolinas remain the only east coast locations for Jack in the Box, although they are rumored to be considering Atlanta and parts of Georgia. Most locations are in Texas and California, although they have also expanded to Missouri, Ohio, and Nashville, Tennessee.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:40 PM

It looks like Krystal should consider re-entering the Charlotte region, as they are popular throughout the Southeast. When you have a taste for the little square hamburger, nothing else really satisfies that craving. And although some Northern transplants may prefer White Castle, they historically have not moved south past Kentucky and Tennessee. But either one would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte