U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 14,593 times

Advertisements

Well I made the big move. 2700 miles from Northern Cali to Charlotte. Why did I not do this this sooner? We love it here. The only problem I have had is finding a good well paying job. Although I have not been overly aggressive in looking for one. We found a great home in Indian Trail, the neighbors son (around 13) actually welcomed us to the neighborhood one day (big change from California). As for crime in Charlotte, we have not seen nor experienced anything thus far. I have been uptown at 11:00 pm on Sat night and not even worried. I have visited most of the malls with not a fear. I have driven most communities including uptown, steel creek, most areas below the 85 and not felt threatened. Although there are many areas that I would not want to live, there are some beautiful neighborhoods almost everywhere. I guess what I am saying is watch whose advise you follow on these forums. Crime is everywhere, in big cities and small towns. Understand there are certain places that you do not want to go at night, but that is no different than where I moved from. There are SO many great cheap things to do with the kids, SO many nice, kind hearted people. Well I could go on and on but I will stop for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,242,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuck View Post
Well I made the big move. 2700 miles from Northern Cali to Charlotte. Why did I not do this this sooner? We love it here. The only problem I have had is finding a good well paying job. Although I have not been overly aggressive in looking for one. We found a great home in Indian Trail, the neighbors son (around 13) actually welcomed us to the neighborhood one day (big change from California). As for crime in Charlotte, we have not seen nor experienced anything thus far. I have been uptown at 11:00 pm on Sat night and not even worried. I have visited most of the malls with not a fear. I have driven most communities including uptown, steel creek, most areas below the 85 and not felt threatened. Although there are many areas that I would not want to live, there are some beautiful neighborhoods almost everywhere. I guess what I am saying is watch whose advise you follow on these forums. Crime is everywhere, in big cities and small towns. Understand there are certain places that you do not want to go at night, but that is no different than where I moved from. There are SO many great cheap things to do with the kids, SO many nice, kind hearted people. Well I could go on and on but I will stop for now.

WOW!! A BIG thank you for this post

And I am so happy you are enjoying your new home - this is a great city!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,421,690 times
Welcome!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,795,317 times
Welcome Tatuck! I'm so happy that you see the broader picture and did not let other people perceptions, block your vision. Because you have such a clear sense of what you desire, your job hunt should be easier to narrow down, once you get the ball rolling. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 AM

889 posts, read 2,844,471 times
Welcome from a Northern Calif. transplant as well !!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,840,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Welcome from a Northern Calif. transplant as well !!
Well, good luck with the jobs part...that is Charlottes kryptonite....Be patient or you will wilt like my lawn here in August..

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,639,176 times
What a nice post! Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,801,500 times
That's really great that you were deterred by talks of massive crime going on in CLT. I'm very excited about heading up there asap.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 AM

4,088 posts, read 10,140,509 times
We moved here from SoCal....welcome.

Dawn

Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,969,221 times
Welcome to Charlotte! Sounds like you are finding your way around and discovering that this is a good place to live and raise a family.

Good luck w/ the job search and let us know if we can help as you settle in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or