Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,997 times

Advertisements

Hey all I am looking to leave NY and relocate to either Charlotte or the coastal sections of Southern North Carolina. I am curious how building is in the Charlotte area.....I am a carpenter of eleven years. The city seems to have what I am looking for as far as a vibrant night life, great people, and a lively music scene, as well as being a nice place to start a family.
I specialize in high end residential construction, any insight would be soooooo helpful.

Looking forward to your responses

peace
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
Competitive and not so easy to get in.Also compare the pay because the construction pay here is awful. What are you looking to make???

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

16 posts, read 33,530 times
[SIZE=3]I am in the construction field in charlotte. Construction jobs are very competitive in charlotte. I am currently in that field. Word of mouth is a hug deal here. The construction job market is thriving, but in the same instance you can’t find much work for that trade in classifies sections unless you have a bachelor’s degree and references. Most large companies contract this work out and if you are lucky enough to find a job with the contractor you better speak Spanish. Needles to say there are plenty of construction jobs in charlotte but getting one can be difficult unless you have a degree and/or speak Spanish. [/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 PM

252 posts, read 879,674 times
You can find work if you are a HIGH end carpenter. There are many custom builders who do not use cheap labor for their finish work. Word of mouth is important but if you have references from a reputable builder in NY I am sure you can find a fit here

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
You can find work if you are a HIGH end carpenter. There are many custom builders who do not use cheap labor for their finish work. Word of mouth is important but if you have references from a reputable builder in NY I am sure you can find a fit here

BUT---- be prepared as a "high" end carpenter to be payed NOT very good. Comming from NY ( the original poster) may be surprised by the low wages, high end or not.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM

135 posts, read 503,710 times
I am a recent graduate with a construction management bachelors degree and had no luck finding a job in charlotte ! Anyone have any suggestions ? I get a good lead then it fades out and the company doesnt call back at all or respond to emails and phone messages. What the heck can I do ?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin2100 View Post
I am a recent graduate with a construction management bachelors degree and had no luck finding a job in charlotte ! Anyone have any suggestions ? I get a good lead then it fades out and the company doesnt call back at all or respond to emails and phone messages. What the heck can I do ?
Do not take "no" for an answer untill you get a "no" from the potential employer. When I took my current position it took me almost four months of following up with them. Try calling at different times during the day. A word of advice, it's just my opionion but email is kind of well... for wimps. It is a lot easier to not respond to an email than to tell somebody no over the phone. If your contact is not working for you try getting someone elses name at the organization. It's just the odds that if you keep at it something will happen.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,691 times
CMAA Chapter Site (http://chapters.cmaanet.org/chapters/ncg/ - broken link). Here is a website for a construction management association that has job postings and you can also try the Charlotte Chapter of the Association of General Contractors. They post jobs as well. I am a recruiter and have posted a jobs on the websites of schools with construction management programs, but I don't get much response. I am currently looking for a Sr Project Manager/Estimator for a commercial construction company in the Piedmont Triad Area...but you do have to have experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: