Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I moved here about 5 weeks ago, and I am so surprised at how many people here are from the Northeast (and fair number from California). I have met very few people from here (or even the South)! My husband's company (employs over 1500 people) is the same. Most everyone he works with is from the Northeast. Same with church. The pastors and those we have met in the congregation are from the Northeast! I live in a new subdivision, which isn't very populated yet. All neighbors I have met are from the Northeast!

I grew up in Knoxville and thought I was "coming home" after living in the Midwest for the past 20+ years. However, I feel like I moved the the Northeast (surely would like some Northeastern snow this winter). Don't take this the wrong way, either. Some of the greatest people I have met have been from the Northeast, so I'm not trying to make this a negative. It's just really surprising to me. I didn't see this kind of emigration at all in the various Midwestern cities - and the Midwest is a relatively inexpensive place to live (especially compared to Charlotte).

So what is up with this emigration? Have some major companies relocated here from the Northeast (or CA)? Or is it just the sunbelt vs. rustbelt migration that has been going on for years? Just curious.
It pretty much all started with the banks in the 70s/80s. I thought it was common knowledge that major Southern urban centers have attracted tons of Northerners over the past few decades.

But the longer you are in Charlotte, the more you'll run into locals and other Southern transplants, particularly from other parts of the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:33 AM

383 posts, read 392,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It pretty much all started with the banks in the 70s/80s. I thought it was common knowledge that major Southern urban centers have attracted tons of Northerners over the past few decades.

But the longer you are in Charlotte, the more you'll run into locals and other Southern transplants, particularly from other parts of the Carolinas.
I was a kid during the 70's and 80's, and Knoxville was not a transplant hot spot, but it surely is now!. I spent a lot of time as a kid in Atlanta, but, of course, I didn't pay any attention to that kind of thing. (And GOOD GRIEF what a nightmare Atlanta has become in every way). I guess spending the last 25 years in the Midwest has put a new perspective on the South. I guess I knew there would be a lot of transplants, but I didn't expect to feel like I was NOT in the South.

When looking for a house here I was told that the locals were moving out of metro Charlotte into the suburbs because of transplants. Like I said, it is neither here nor there for me, as I am also a transplant. I guess I just wanted to get that Southern feel I haven't experienced yet.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
When looking for a house here I was told that the locals were moving out of metro Charlotte into the suburbs because of transplants. Like I said, it is neither here nor there for me, as I am also a transplant. I guess I just wanted to get that Southern feel I haven't experienced yet.
Did the real estate agent say that? Some locals may relocate out, but the greatest base of them are still in central Mecklenburg County. It doesn't surprise me a new subdivision in Wesley Chapel is mainly transplants. Union County has been very popular with Northeast transplants. People retiring out of Mecklenburg County seem to head for the beach or lakes rather than Union.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I was a kid during the 70's and 80's, and Knoxville was not a transplant hot spot, but it surely is now!. I spent a lot of time as a kid in Atlanta, but, of course, I didn't pay any attention to that kind of thing. (And GOOD GRIEF what a nightmare Atlanta has become in every way). I guess spending the last 25 years in the Midwest has put a new perspective on the South. I guess I knew there would be a lot of transplants, but I didn't expect to feel like I was NOT in the South.

Natives & long-term transplants from Charlotte have been moving to Gaston County & Kings Mountain. Gaston County is in the metro & Kings Mountain straddles county lines, putting it partly in the MSA & partly in the CSA.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I'm here!!!!!

In Charlotte - about a mile from Southpark mall.

There are a few of us still here

Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM

383 posts, read 392,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I'm here!!!!!

In Charlotte - about a mile from Southpark mall.

There are a few of us still here
And so glad to hear it! I cannot imagine how things have changed for you over the course of living here! Unfortunately, I've never lived in any place terribly long, but i think it would be very interesting to see such changes take place.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:30 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
And so glad to hear it! I cannot imagine how things have changed for you over the course of living here! Unfortunately, I've never lived in any place terribly long, but i think it would be very interesting to see such changes take place.
The Charlotte area has changed significantly from the first time that I had visited in 2008.

As for Southerners, the majority of Gaston County is Southern, and proud to be so. Same with Lesslie (which is a mile or two south from the Rock Hill Galleria mall); Clover; York, etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The Charlotte area has changed significantly from the first time that I had visited in 2008.

As for Southerners, the majority of Gaston County is Southern, and proud to be so. Same with Lesslie (which is a mile or two south from the Rock Hill Galleria mall); Clover; York, etc.
My experience is that there are more transplants than you would think in Gaston. Transplants are frequently from the MidAtlantic, especially Philadelphia, South Jersey, & Delaware as well as upstate NY. It's next to impossible to tell the people from the Delaware Valley by listening for accents, unless you pick up on a handful of words that are peculiar to that area & Baltimore.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 AM

222 posts, read 196,531 times
There are many transplants in and around Charlotte largely due to it being such a large financial center. Many people who work in the banking and finance industries are brought here for work. I myself am a transplant from the northeast (Philadelphia) I don't work in banking but I came for work opportunities as well. I too was surprised at first at how many people are not originally from here. It seems like almost one out of every three or four people that I meet. There still are a good number of natives hailing from the counties outside Mecklenburg that are more untouched by transplants.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:02 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
gypsyjudy - Charlotte has changed tremendously in the last 30-40 years! Some of it is good (I am self employed and due to the explosion of people coming here I stay very busy) and some is not so good (traffic).

I am very fortunate that my family is here and I have wonderful friends and great neighbors. I love the seasons (except the hot, humid summers) and love the trees and how clean it is here.

I think one of the other posters was correct - many of the natives are closer to town in the established neighborhoods. Most of my native friends live near the area where they grew up.

I think it is all about your attitude. You decide to be happy or not and you decide to not let the small stuff bring you down (traffic, mean people, etc.)

I hope you will love Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte