Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM

61 posts, read 75,889 times

Advertisements

I was enjoying an earlier thread that started off in one direction and deteriorated into a discussion about not really missing NYC/Bergen County NJ. So here it is in its appropriate thread. Covered with clear plastic to keep it clean. We were down here for about 5 years when my husband came home from work and told me that for the first time that day, he was embarrassed to be from NY. He had overheard some people being very rude and were clearly New Yorkers and it was all he could do not to ask them to calm down and remind them they were no longer in NY. When we go up to visit we crack up at how rude and aggressive people are. i hope it never gets like that in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM

175 posts, read 188,488 times
I need to find that earlier thread. LOL about plastic cover. All of my aunts had their sofas and lamp shades covered in plastic but that was over by the early 80's. Kind of makes me think of blue eye shadow. No, I don't miss NJ/NY enough to go back. By no means. And judging by the fact that I have to go out this weekend and by ANOTHER guest bed, my family and friends up north cannot get enough of Charlotte.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
I need to find that earlier thread. LOL about plastic cover. All of my aunts had their sofas and lamp shades covered in plastic but that was over by the early 80's. Kind of makes me think of blue eye shadow. No, I don't miss NJ/NY enough to go back. By no means. And judging by the fact that I have to go out this weekend and by ANOTHER guest bed, my family and friends up north cannot get enough of Charlotte.
jerseygirl34 -FWI - It was page 7 of Mistake to Relocate/ Too late thread! We were having a good ol' time. I guess I'm going to have to break down and mail order my Taylor Ham, even tho' stmaarten assures me it's available down here. I've already outfitted the bedrooms and am still painting - 3 bathrooms to go and I'm done. My sister and BIL are visiting the end of April from NJ and I have to finish. I'm more concerned with my SIL and brother when they come down. She's a neat freak and I'll try to wow her. She thinks Martha Stewart is just a lower-class Polish Princess from Nutley!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 PM

61 posts, read 75,889 times
I used to find myself defending Charlotte over and over, particularly to two SIL's who had such distorted views of what it was like. Then one day I just stopped. Let them think what they want. That's two more NYers who won't be crowding our roads. Not a big taylor ham fan so I can't help you. I've found viable replacements for all of my favorite foods, with a few neglible exceptions.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynsmom View Post
I used to find myself defending Charlotte over and over, particularly to two SIL's who had such distorted views of what it was like. Then one day I just stopped. Let them think what they want. That's two more NYers who won't be crowding our roads. Not a big taylor ham fan so I can't help you. I've found viable replacements for all of my favorite foods, with a few neglible exceptions.
I must admit I'm a lot neater in the new house. I'll turn lemons into lemonade - "That's not dust" - "that's a new microparticle protective coating"!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM

14 posts, read 36,095 times
I've never felt ashamed to be from NY. There are stupid people everywhere. Every now and then I miss NYC. Last time we visited, I cried. But I love Charlotte too, I've lived here for 14 years so it is my home now. I guess you always have the warm fuzzies for the place you grew up. But I would have to have millions of dollars to live how I live here.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
I definitely miss NY/NJ and I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm in Charlotte now and I am thoroughly enjoying it but hellz yeah, I miss the craziness of my old home. Ok, back to my ice cold Yuengling now.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
dont miss NY or NJ sorry to say...certainly dont miss the hustle and bussel and rudeness..and I stopped defending charlotte to my family a long time ago, I feel the same as you let them think what they want, as no matter what I say they will think differently anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte