U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 33,642 times

Advertisements

My wife got very sick after having company over the weekend. After two days of vomiting, sleeping and not eating. I tried to make an appointment at North Cross medical centre in Huntersville. The only available date was a month and a half away. After communicating with the appointment desk for a few minutes the receptionist informed me that I could walk in, today was a slow day the wait was vey short. So my wife and I quickly got to the medical office. After about 30 minutes we paid cash for the visit and got in to see the doctor. We informed the doctor that my wife was a diabetic and she takes insulin. The doctor asks if her throat was sore we replied no just nauseated, no energy and vomiting. A while later the doctor sent her to another room for a blood sugar and urine test. After a 30 min wait the doctor came back to the room and informed us that her blood sugar was 167 and she had key tones in her urine. Then I informed the doctor that something was wrong! My wife’s blood sugar has been between 305 and 350 the past two days and I just checked her blood sugar in the parking lot before we came in. The doctor replied your meter is bad you might need a new one. So the doctor gave us cough syrup and antibiotic samples for the sour throat that she told the doctor she never had then said if she still feels bad in 6 to 8 hour you should head to the emergency room. As we left the office I had my wife test her blood sugar again in the parking lot and the number was even higher 378 I think, so I tossed the meter to the side and went straight out and purchased the very best one in the store. After testing with the new meter the test was 370 ish, so I called the doctors north cross medical to inform them something was wrong with there meter. The doctor told me to come back to the office, so I raced back to the office. My wife and I went straight back to the room, the doctor arrived soon after with a nurse. The doctor and I then both checked her blood sugar with all three meters. My meters were both exact 388, the doctors meter was 455. The doctor replied 70 points is not that bad off. My wife then replied that is not event the same meter that you tested me with the earlier. Then I argued with the doctor that the meters were off and could harm a patient if they kept using the meters, all that I wanted was for them to get new meters. The doctor refused to replace the meters and said that there was nothing wrong wit the meters, and went on to use it on another patient after leaving our room. As we were leaving I asked the doctor what should I do well I would a advise you to go to the emergency room. So we rushed to the emergency room "Good Thing", my wife was going into a diabetic coma. Later the next day I called the doctors office requested to speak with DR. LEE "The owner of the practice"
I left a message. Called several more times with no calls returned. The last call in quest to make a formal complaint about the meters and the doctor I mentioned all the un returned calls and those meters needed to be replaced that all that I was worried about, that if he would not even have the decency to return my call I would do what it takes to save a life if it meant calling the news about the matter. WOW, I received a letter 3 hours later in the mail box from the very doctor that I had been trying to contact with. The doctor dismissed my wife and me from his practice and fabricated an entirely different story doctor visit than I experienced. This was the office that I thought was so great for more than 5 years. In this fabricated story the doctor made me look like a piece of crap. Why ruin a doctor/ patient relationship over a $60.00 meter that they receive free from the venders. What I want to know is just because you are a doctor you have to be right all of the time. Or is every one out to sue you so just hide the problems and make your patients suffer. If all doctors were perfect there would be no sickness.

[SIZE=3]Can I get some feed back on what any one thinks or any others that have had problems with north cross medical centre in Charlotte and Huntersville NC.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,869,897 times
twobit, while I cannot comment on the individual practice and the experience you had there, I can certainly sympathize with what you went through. I am T1 myself and I cannot imagine why they would have given your wife regular cough syrup, knowing about her condition and also knowing how much sugar is in that stuff. Now that it's Monday, have you contacted your wife's regular doctor yet? Have you been to the ER?

I hope your wife gets better soon. You're a good guy to help her get through this. I'm so grateful my husband is the same way. Best of luck to both of you.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
I deal with physician practice management. The physician felt you were adversarial so therefore has dismissed you as a patient. When you threatened to call the media, you immediately put things on a level that the physician felt he needed to substantiate what had occurred in his office, as he perceived your comments as possibly litigious.

If you feel you wish to pursue this further, you can write a letter explaining your concerns to the NC Medical Board. Here is a link to information about filing a complaint:

NCMB Home Page

Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,479,307 times
Why didn't you go straight to the ER?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM

64 posts, read 337,000 times
two bit - ketones in the urine indicate that her blood sugar has in fact been too high. The doctor was telling you her blood sugar was 167 and that she was ok? Can u clarify a bit more?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,016 times
The Le's are doctors in the area who have pretty good reputations. I think that Dr. Le is afraid of a lawsuit and is playing CYA. I agree that you could talk to the state medical board. Plenty of lawyers will talk to you about this kind of thing, if that's what you are getting at.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,068,246 times
Unbelieveable!!! Sounds like a horrid experience. I hope that you are able to find some resolution

Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
twobit, while I cannot comment on the individual practice and the experience you had there, I can certainly sympathize with what you went through. I am T1 myself and I cannot imagine why they would have given your wife regular cough syrup, knowing about her condition and also knowing how much sugar is in that stuff. Now that it's Monday, have you contacted your wife's regular doctor yet? Have you been to the ER?

I hope your wife gets better soon. You're a good guy to help her get through this. I'm so grateful my husband is the same way. Best of luck to both of you.
[SIZE=3]Thank you so much, we have been threw a lot lately with all of this. Your husband must be a great guy because I can understand how someone might not be able to handle a diabetic life style especially type 1 my wife is what they call a 1 and a half (may as well say 1) and we are learning a lot about how the chemicals in the body can fall out of whack.[/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM

[SIZE=3]The threat of the media was only after one week of calling upon calling with not a single reply. The man would not communicate with me at all. The doctor’s office must have driven to my house and put it in my mailbox considering the timing between the call and the receipt of the letter. I think that the power of the big DR. before there names makes them too good for any criticism from the blue collar working man. But Thanks for your help. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I did really think highly of DR. Lee until this point. And I have many good friends that are doctors and most are above these kinds of practices with there patients.[/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Why didn't you go straight to the ER?
[SIZE=3]We thought this was a stomach virus at first. So we went to the doctor for there opinion. My wife never has had a problem with her diabetes. Viruses have been going around lately and that was what we assumed it was. We were just going to save some time and money. This almost turned fatal. And I went to the emergency room 4 hours earlier than the doctor told me to go there.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or