U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:03 AM

655 posts, read 517,125 times

Advertisements

You'll be able to find a place in the Charlotte area that feels like home to you in your price range. Biggest concerns I'd have if I were you is that you won't find a commute under 30 minutes (but plenty of options in the 45-60 minute range), and it's a long drive to the beach . Though mountains are close by. Outside of that, you'd be happy here from what I've read you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM

1,454 posts, read 996,879 times
If you wanted to see an example of what $350k could get about 30 minutes away from Uptown Charlotte and with good schools, check out:

7435 Crowflock Ct Charlotte, NC 28226

At your price range, anything that close will be smaller and typically 70's-80's era construction. You could use that as a comparison vs. a longer commute to newer and larger houses 45 minutes to an hour out at $350k, such as 507 Beckford Glen, Waxhax, NC. It is all about what matters most to you and your family. There are options throughout the area.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,201,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR1414 View Post
Good to know, thank you so much. Our main priority would be great schools, a 45 min or less commute into Charlotte, and a relatively small (under 30k) and safe town, with at least some yard and privacy from neighbors. Having a more historic, southern feeling in the downtown area would be an incredible bonus, but it's not a necessity for us. As long as the area isn't run down or too busy or urban, I think we'd be very happy in a typical family friendly suburb.

Thanks again for you input; it really helps
I wouldn't count out Cabarrus County either (the Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS pyramid or Odell ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS pyramid). We are considered Concord as our neighborhood was annexed in by the city at the last minute. You can get to uptown in 45 minutes in rush hour. We are near 485, 85 and 77. We are in Cabarrus but very close to the Mecklenburg line. There are a couple of new neighborhoods going in one down Cox Mill Road and another off of 73 (that one won't open until summer 2018 though). You would have all your wants close by. It's a nice area and very family friendly.

I think a few of the places mentioned in this thread would be worth taking a look.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:46 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,201,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As to the "southern feel", in my opinion, Belmont, like the rest of the 85/74 corridor west of Charlotte, more or less, has a MidAtlantic/Southern feel. I've heard comments to this effect from other transplants who came from the MidAtlantic & natives who have family in the MidAtlantic.
Yes. I agree about Belmont. That's why I suggested.... I see at non rush the commute would be around 25 minutes. What about rush? 45 or so?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 PM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Yes. I agree about Belmont. That's why I suggested.... I see at non rush the commute would be around 25 minutes. What about rush? 45 or so?
I live in Kings Mountain. I've gone into Charlotte during rush & off rush. I hop on 74 to exit 10, then hop off 85 & get back on 74 in Belmont. Taking 74 (Wilkinson Blvd) into town is nothing, unless there's an accident. The difference is 5 minutes or less. Granted, at some point in the future that will change, but the river district plan is a 20 year plan & more aggressive public transportation will be in effect by then.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 PM

1,454 posts, read 996,879 times
Quote:
I-85 is four to five lanes wide between Belmont and Uptown. Being that wide really keeps the traffic going.

Driver's can get off 85 at 27, 16, Glenwood Dr, or loop around on 77 back in to reach Uptown. 85 rarely slows much unless there is an accident. 10 minutes longer in the evening, but morning is 25. Evening 25 - 35. The bottleneck on 85 is further west in Gastonia where the interstate goes down to 3 lanes and it begins to twist and turn with the topography.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 PM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I-85 is four to five lanes wide between Belmont and Uptown. Being that wide really keeps the traffic going.

Driver's can get off 85 at 27, 16, Glenwood Dr, or loop around on 77 back in to reach Uptown. 85 rarely slows much unless there is an accident. 10 minutes longer in the evening, but morning is 25. Evening 25 - 35. The bottleneck on 85 is further west in Gastonia where the interstate goes down to 3 lanes and it begins to twist and turn with the topography.
I normally get off 85 at exit 27, turn right for 2 blocks, then turn left onto Wilkinson. I once managed to get caught in traffic from an accident on Wilkinson Blvd. It slowed me down by, maybe, 10 minutes.

I 85 is supposed to be widened to exit 10. They should be widening to exit 8, because they're going to have to widen to the state line. When they do, they have to deal with exit 10, so they should do it now.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 62,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
You'll be able to find a place in the Charlotte area that feels like home to you in your price range. Biggest concerns I'd have if I were you is that you won't find a commute under 30 minutes (but plenty of options in the 45-60 minute range), and it's a long drive to the beach . Though mountains are close by. Outside of that, you'd be happy here from what I've read you're looking for.
Thanks so much; I hope so. As I mentioned, our goal is a 45-minute commute to Charlotte (on most days). An hour would be acceptable on certain occasions during rush hour. We definitely don't expect to find anything around 30 min, and my husband is used to a 90 minute commute as it is, so we're aiming for 45 if we can swing it (that would be a HUGE improvement). Hopefully we can find something

Thank you again!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
If you wanted to see an example of what $350k could get about 30 minutes away from Uptown Charlotte and with good schools, check out:

7435 Crowflock Ct Charlotte, NC 28226

At your price range, anything that close will be smaller and typically 70's-80's era construction. You could use that as a comparison vs. a longer commute to newer and larger houses 45 minutes to an hour out at $350k, such as 507 Beckford Glen, Waxhax, NC. It is all about what matters most to you and your family. There are options throughout the area.

Thanks so much for your input! That's a great comparison. As I mentioned, our goal is a 45-minute commute to Charlotte (on most days). An hour would be acceptable on certain occasions during rush hour. We definitely don't expect to find anything around 30 min, and my husband is used to a 90 minute commute as it is, so 45 min is what we're aiming for and hopefully we can find it Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't count out Cabarrus County either (the Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS pyramid or Odell ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS pyramid). We are considered Concord as our neighborhood was annexed in by the city at the last minute. You can get to uptown in 45 minutes in rush hour. We are near 485, 85 and 77. We are in Cabarrus but very close to the Mecklenburg line. There are a couple of new neighborhoods going in one down Cox Mill Road and another off of 73 (that one won't open until summer 2018 though). You would have all your wants close by. It's a nice area and very family friendly.

I think a few of the places mentioned in this thread would be worth taking a look.
Very helpful; thank you so much! That sounds promising. I'll check out all those areas. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or