Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

"Citing two years of surging violence in Charlotte, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions came to North Carolina’s largest city Monday to announce a new partnership between federal, state and local law enforcement groups to better coordinate crime-fighting efforts."

AG Jeff Sessions announces effort in Charlotte to fight violent crime | Charlotte Observer

I don't wanna hear that I am being a "negative nancy," nor do I wanna hear that "people continue to move here daily," nor do I wanna hear that "Chicago's crime is worse than Charlotte."

It's somewhat sad that the Attorney General highlighted Charlotte's crime problem.

As a side note: I wonder what his proposal to fight crime might be? I would imagine that his plan differs drastically from the programs that Mayor Lyles seeks to put into place. Expanding this thought: I wonder if the AG's plan will compliment, or conflict, with local efforts to combat crime. Example: the AG's approach might be to prosecute certain crimes, while Lyle's approach might be to rehabilitate the offender through a social program.

Last edited by NDL; 12-20-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
I'm sure his "ideas" start with something to do with immigration, like building a wall.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure his "ideas" start with something to do with immigration, like building a wall.
I see this differently. For example: we know that the Attorney General is going after marijuana use, while certain States are legalizing the drug. The difference in approach might pit the will of the Federal Government against the will of the State.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
He didn't give any specific details in the prepared speech that is largely a repeat of the roadshow he's been doing in Milwaukee, Washington DC, Toledo, etc... about creating task forces and the rising crime statistics nationwide. The FBI and local police forces working together and sharing information better among each other is a good thing though and they should work as a team. The actual execution of what that looks like will likely be driven by each field office and the local PD. Sessions just will approve budgets to get them the resources they request and go on the roadshows to get press coverage.

I don't think Mayor Lyles is an opponent to the police and fighting crime - she has specifically focused on domestic abuse and building strong communities. While many crimes are gang driven, we know at least a quarter of homicides in Charlotte this year have been domestic abuse. People killing their brother, husband, wife, child, father, etc... due to bad family relationships and domestic violence. Mayor Lyles has chosen to work on domestic abuse and be a leader for building better families, while leaving the police to handle the organized gang crime [and know the strategies to fight it]. The police have been supportive of this direction - many of the assaults, rapes, murders, etc... are domestic violence among known parties, not just random people walking into a Target.

Last edited by CLT4; 12-20-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
He didn't give any specific details in the prepared speech that is largely a repeat of the roadshow he's been doing in Milwaukee, Washington DC, Toledo, etc... about creating task forces and the rising crime statistics nationwide. The FBI and local police forces working together and sharing information better among each other is a good thing though and they should work as a team. The actual execution of what that looks like will likely be driven by each field office and the local PD. Sessions just will approve budgets to get them the resources they request and go on the roadshows to get press coverage.
I agree that having agencies working cooperatively is a good thing.

Quote:
I don't think Mayor Lyles is an opponent to the police and fighting crime - she has specifically focused on domestic abuse and building strong communities. While many crimes are gang driven, we know at least a quarter of homicides in Charlotte this year have been domestic abuse. People killing their brother, husband, wife, child, father, etc... due to bad family relationships and domestic violence. Mayor Lyles has chosen to work on domestic abuse and be a leader for building better families, while leaving the police to handle the organized gang crime [and know the strategies to fight it]. The police have been supportive of this direction - many of the assaults, rapes, murders, etc... are domestic violence among known parties, not just random people walking into a Target.
I don't think that Mayor Lyles is an opponent to the police; I think she has a different approach towards fighting crime.

Some folks are solely interested in punishing offensive behavior through incarceration, while it appears that Lyles seeks to get at the causative effects of criminal activity, and rehabilitate the offender through various programs.

I am not saying that one approach is better than another; what I am saying is that both approaches are markedly different.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM

607 posts, read 554,991 times
I've been seeing a lot of mentions about Charlotte's crime problem lately. However, I think many of us realize it's very overblown.

When people talk about the national crime rate, many of us will rationalize that it doesn't really apply to us if we stay out of the sketchier parts of Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, or Milwaukee.

Likewise, Charlotte is extremely safe outside of a few trouble pockets. If you avoid those, you're likely going to be alright.

Crime is not spread evenly. Certain neighborhoods, age-groups, racial groups etc are disproportionately responsible for crime.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
I've been seeing a lot of mentions about Charlotte's crime problem lately. However, I think many of us realize it's very overblown.

When people talk about the national crime rate, many of us will rationalize that it doesn't really apply to us if we stay out of the sketchier parts of Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, or Milwaukee.

Likewise, Charlotte is extremely safe outside of a few trouble pockets. If you avoid those, you're likely going to be alright.

Crime is not spread evenly. Certain neighborhoods, age-groups, racial groups etc are disproportionately responsible for crime.
I appreciate your reply .

The nature of this thread was not to highlight Charlotte's crime problem. I think that it doesn't reflect well upon Charlotte that the Attorney General issued his statement in CLT. It likewise grieves me when I open the paper, and see the death of (yet) another person. All of that said, I do agree that the issue of crime in Charlotte is overhyped and sensationalized; sometimes shamelessly so.

Moving forward, the reason why I started this thread was to highlight the prospect of the Federal government taking an active role in combating common street crime. I do realize that the FBI has long had a role in going after organized criminal activity. What piqued my interest in this instance is the new role that the Federal government might play in combating street crime. I also wondered aloud if any conflicts might arise, as the Attorney General's approach seems markedly different than the approach that many progressive city governments take.

All of the above is not a commentary on who should do what, or which approach is better. I am simply marking my interest in the Attorney General's visit .

Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 PM

607 posts, read 554,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I appreciate your reply .

The nature of this thread was not to highlight Charlotte's crime problem. I think that it doesn't reflect well upon Charlotte that the Attorney General issued his statement in CLT. It likewise grieves me when I open the paper, and see the death of (yet) another person. All of that said, I do agree that the issue of crime in Charlotte is overhyped and sensationalized; sometimes shamelessly so.

Moving forward, the reason why I started this thread was to highlight the prospect of the Federal government taking an active role in combating common street crime. I do realize that the FBI has long had a role in going after organized criminal activity. What piqued my interest in this instance is the new role that the Federal government might play in combating street crime. I also wondered aloud if any conflicts might arise, as the Attorney General's approach seems markedly different than the approach that many progressive city governments take.

All of the above is not a commentary on who should do what, or which approach is better. I am simply marking my interest in the Attorney General's visit .
Fair enough.

Certainly, the current government has one view on crime that greatly conflicts with the view of roughly half the country. If the AG is actually interested in doing anything in town, I would fully expect it will cause issues with the local government as well as the local populace.

Fortunately, we all have a starting point in discussions. That crime is bad, and that the current state of the criminal justice and prison system is inadequate. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Fortunately, we all have a starting point in discussions. That crime is bad, and that the current state of the criminal justice and prison system is inadequate. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.
Agreed.

Mayor Lyles shared a few interesting ideas during the Mayoral debate. While I am not familiar enough with her policy to comment further, I look at her tenure with optimism.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Sadly, domestic violence has been the front page of crime in the area as we start off 2018.

- Man kills the mother of his daughter, takes the kid, and then shoots at officers in front of CMPD HQ, getting himself shot and killed

- Mother kills her two young children and then throws herself off 485 bridge to her death

- Wife kills her husband, both work for Mecklenburg Sheriff

and outside Charlotte city limits...

- Man abusing wife in York County, SC shoots and injures 4 York County Sheriff responding to the domestic violence call, gets shot in manhunt.

- Huntersville Police respond to a domestic abuse call in suburban neighborhood, find the woman abused and the man in the bedroom with a gun. Man is shot and killed by police due to holding gun in threatening manner.

I wish as a community we had the answers to fighting this type of violence. In many cases this year, officers have never been called to the home before. Broken families, mental illness, stress, trust issues, abusive behavior, etc... I know Mecklenburg County is working on providing more resources for victims, it is just so hard to help people often trapped in these situations because people outside the four walls of their home don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte