U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,710,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Whitewater Center is in the forbidden area though.
I get your point in that that poster is generalizing, but actually they only called out inside 485 which the Whitewater Center is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Status: "No time for trolls or toxic threads" (set 25 days ago)

1,181 posts, read 636,115 times
Thanks all for the responses, most appreciated. Not date yet but could be soon. To answer UDcc123 kids are not a factor (really excellent itinerary BTW as is CLT4's).

We would rent a 2BR or 3BR for a year or so and if the job works out, look to set deeper roots. We're not big drinkers but like to dine out often and to see live music.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:45 AM

655 posts, read 517,441 times
I can't speak to the other areas, but in South Charlotte, the following 3 shopping centers all have live music on Friday & Saturday nights: Stonecrest, Blakeney, Promenade on Providence. Blakeney's usually the most attended, with Stonecrest in 2nd. The town of Matthews also has Food Truck Fridays on every other Friday with live music and a beer garden.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 AM

1,454 posts, read 997,540 times
Some other music venues you might want to check out:

The Fillmore:
Fillmore Charlotte

McGlohon Theater:
McGLOHON THEATER at Spirit Square | Blumenthal Performing Arts

Music Factory:
Home – AvidXchangeMusicFactory

The Evening Muse:
The Evening Muse

Neighborhood Theatre:
Neighborhood Theatre

Some areas you might want to check out to live include Cotswold, Dilworth, Elizabeth, South End, South Park, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, University City, Matthews, Arboretum, Ballantyne, Belmont, NC. All depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood, your budget for the size you want, and how close you want to be to town.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 PM

259 posts, read 230,473 times
If you don't mind a jog down to Pineville, you can find some pretty good German food at the Waldhorn Restaurant. Their Sunday brunch buffet is worth a stop.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 AM

294 posts, read 153,483 times
I did not realize that uptown was dead on weekends. What is the measuring stick? Manhatten, downtown Chicago, maybe San Francisco? While uptown may not measure up to some larger cities, is it fair to call it dead? I think uptown would probably measure up pretty well with metros of similar size such as Orlando, Indy, Nashville. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. I would recommend to visitors to check out uptown on weekends and decide for themselves.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,710,927 times
It doesn't measure up to Nashville, but Nashville (and New Orleans) is unique in that regard

Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 AM

655 posts, read 517,441 times
Sorry. We're from the Northeast. Compared to NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, etc...Uptown is quiet. When you can find all-day weekend garage parking in the center of a city for $5-10, it's not "hopping". It's not a bad thing...just not a bustling metropolis on the weekend.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I did not realize that uptown was dead on weekends. What is the measuring stick? Manhatten, downtown Chicago, maybe San Francisco? While uptown may not measure up to some larger cities, is it fair to call it dead? I think uptown would probably measure up pretty well with metros of similar size such as Orlando, Indy, Nashville. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. I would recommend to visitors to check out uptown on weekends and decide for themselves.

I think this refrain might be most likely to come with those who haven't been downtown in 5-10 years. You're right that there is a ton to do now. Everytime I get uptown I leave feeling like "wow I need to do that more often" as growing up here in the 80's and 90's there wasn't as much to do. Not the case anymore!

Another tip for anyone with a bank of america checking account or credit card - the first weekend of every month extends FREE museum access to those with accounts. A nice perk that is worth taking advantage of if you have time to kill and qualify.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM

294 posts, read 153,483 times
Baltimore? I have been to Baltimore. I am not so sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or