Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM

64 posts, read 371,740 times

Advertisements

I am well aware of the warranties. Typically, lasts one year. Those who go one day past are in serious trouble...esp if they have mulch. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
I am well aware of the warranties. Typically, lasts one year. Those who go one day past are in serious trouble...esp if they have mulch. lol.

No really? You mean warranties don't last forever?

If you read my post carefully and didn't try to bait me, I said they are renewable (which anyone would be silly not to do.)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
I hate these pine needles, but I hate bugs about 1000000 times more. The pine needles get tracked into the house when they spread all over the place. Better tracked pine needles than nasty bugs!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 AM

23 posts, read 67,507 times
Listen, it's quite obvious that some posters here are umm, emphatic, about not using mulch for reasons they've already stated.

All I can say is when I walk around my neighborhood there is no shortage of houses that have mulch around trees/shrubs. If using it instead of needles was an almost guarantee to invite a pest problem to your house (as some posters are suggesting here) then I doubt it would be as common as it appears to be. Those who prefer mulch don't have their heads screwed on backwards, they simply have a different preference and are willing to be diligent and take preventative measures against *potential* problems. Doesn't sound that crazy to me.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
to sum this thread up, basically the Pine Needles absorb the water better so the landscaping lives longer, quiet a few landscapers RECOMMEND not to use Mulch HOWEVER again it is a personal preference, as well as our inspector said the same thing..now I have bark around my trees in my backyard that are towards the back of the house because they say not to use it near your foundation...Again it boils down to ones personal preference on which they choose to use..I PERSONALLY dont think there is a right or wrong and leave it at that

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I plan on taking out the pine needles and putting in lava rock. Looks much better, won't catch on fire and won't harbor termites. If anybody can chime in if there are any negatives that I don't know of please let me know before spending all the money. I priced it and it won't be cheap but more permanent. Plus in my subdivision I need HOA approval for it

Hi, MD.

We used black lava rocks for our landscape beds and LOVE it. We laid down landscape fabric then placed the black lava rocks down. We rented a bobcat with a front end scoop to help place them in the beds b/c shoveling in a wheel barrel was hard work, we have a large landscape area around the house. It was strenuous job to put out but the results are Awesome and just remember this is a one time job. Its especially beautiful when it rains.....it gets very black with rain shine. It has enhanced the contour of our home. It did cost a little more but while our neighbors are putting out their pine needles (twice a year) we just sit back enjoy the beautiful lava rocks and find time for other projects. Its been 5 years since we put out our rocks and haven't had any problems at all with the lava rocks. I give 2 thumbs up and say purchase the Lava rocks!!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
How long have you had the lava rocks? The reason why I am asking is because I have had several landscapers advise against rocks of any kind in flower beds because they are really bad for the plants. If I remember correctly, they keep the ground hotter and don't keep moisture in like mulch or pine needles do so I am wondering how it is working out for you. Here in Baxter, we are not allowed to put lava rocks in, well at least inthe front.

My comments on the whole pine needles vs. mulch thing:

1. Noone has ever said that there is a 100% guarantee that if you use mulch you will get termites.

2. That being said, there IS a greater chance of termites with mulch vs. pine needles.

3. Most people don't advertise the fact when they get termites so you have absolutely NO idea what houses in your neighborhood have had termites or not. My termite guy has said that there have been a couple of houses on my street that have had termite damage but he wouldn't tell me whose house. I was pretty surprised.

4. It does come down to personal preference. I prefer pine needles. Maybe it is because I grew up here in the south. Mulch TO ME appears sloppy and I can't stand how it seems to get everywhere and how it fades and decomposes so quickly. Pine needles are much easier. I don't know if they are really that much cheaper though. I can get a truckload of mulch for about the same price.

Peace, folks. There are a whole lot more important things to worry about than whether or not your neighbor is using mulch.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
If you are getting lava rocks or rubber mulch it alot more pricey than using regular mulch
Problem with pine needles is it very acidic and make good hiding ground for snakes.
If you getting it for asethitics it is fine but it horrible around plants with North Carolina summers and drought due to it gets hot, does not break down into the soil, and does not retain moisture. The general reason put down mulch.

There is plenty of landscape supply stores that carry wide variety of mulches from hardwood, pine , cypress, cedar in variety of styles and color from nuggets to straw style. to compost type. There is even type that is certified playground safe.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
I have both because of the amount of "natural" area in my yard. Here is my observations... pine needles are cheaper but need to be replaced 2x a year to look good. Mulch can be nice too. I have 2 dump truck loads of mulch delivered a year to replenish. However, mulch attracts random cats that use it as there litter box. Pine needles don't have that same attractions to cats. Seriously folks, I am sick of the cats using it as a litter box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte