U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:11 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,006 times

Advertisements

2 stories about a carjacking! There goes the neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,022,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
People should not start taking note of such things, even if they eventually do not progress? Being in some way proactive in one's own neighborhood is a negative thing?
How often do people become the frog in the neighborhood pot slowly coming up to the boil - excuses, minimization, comparison - (well it's not as bad as... , at least only [insert sub-set of victims] are mainly affected, in other similar-size areas... etc.) made - meanwhile the once concerned citizen has now had to become used to a level of ambient crime? A level that at first was low, observed, and addressable.

Not everyone wants to descend into and accept a "new normal"; some people have pride-of-place, concern for themselves, their families and their communities, and a belief that "if you see something & say something", the next step as an immediate community or broader society, is to do something (effective).

I don't care if the OP had direct observations, research, anecdotal evidence or that "gut-feeling" we all get if we are honest with ourselves - it is normal for a rational person feel concern and express it.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM

391 posts, read 240,649 times
I like your last two paragraphs, the first one was sort of confusing, but I don't think it was yours. As you say, it is all about being streetwise, aware, and using common sense. We can only correct the ills of society if people are concerned. The communities where there is very little crime are the areas where the citizenry are concerned and express it, i.e. Community watch programs, cameras, concealed weapons, etc. Things have changed. We are not a homogenous community.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:43 AM

520 posts, read 298,327 times
Quote:
People who accept as tolerable the criminal activity in their neighborhood need to travel more and see that it is not the norm.
In many parts of the country (and world) criminals are dealt with properly and there are not many repeat offenders like in Charlotte.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,022,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I like your last two paragraphs, the first one was sort of confusing, but I don't think it was yours. As you say, it is all about being streetwise, aware, and using common sense. We can only correct the ills of society if people are concerned. The communities where there is very little crime are the areas where the citizenry are concerned and express it, i.e. Community watch programs, cameras, concealed weapons, etc. Things have changed. We are not a homogenous community.
That first paragraph could have been worded better, but what do you mean by not being mine? That frog allusion is a common one.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM

376 posts, read 223,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChillax View Post
Whole Foods did knock out the only section 8 housing in SP behind Burger King 3+ years ago, and the apartments at Colony & Roxborough are coming down. Any crime now must be from dedicated commuter professional criminals. Or more lazy affluent residents who are presenting juicy targets.
C'mon, could you be suggesting South Park may be a target rich environment? Still, a few to several months data may be more representative of reality than what may just happen to be 2 coincidental car jackings in a few days.

Cars broken in ... often due to foolishly leaving enticing or potentially attractive stuff in vehicles. Don't, anywhere!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM

Why We're Living in the Age of Fear - Rolling Stone

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

We are living in one of the safest countries during one of the safest times in human history, yet fear is on the rise. Why?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
People who accept as tolerable the criminal activity in their neighborhood need to travel more and see that it is not the norm.
In many parts of the country (and world) criminals are dealt with properly and there are not many repeat offenders like in Charlotte.
Would love to see some statistics or learn what you are basing these comments on. What neighborhood in the SouthPark area is more dangerous or afflicted by criminal activity than "the norm" in "many parts of the country (and world)"? Might as well just call it the universe since we're covering everyone. Show me how many areas are less dangerous than SouthPark.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
People should not start taking note of such things, even if they eventually do not progress? Being in some way proactive in one's own neighborhood is a negative thing?
How often do people become the frog in the neighborhood pot slowly coming up to the boil - excuses, minimization, comparison - (well it's not as bad as... , at least only [insert sub-set of victims] are mainly affected, in other similar-size areas... etc.) made - meanwhile the once concerned citizen has now had to become used to a level of ambient crime? A level that at first was low, observed, and addressable.

Not everyone wants to descend into and accept a "new normal"; some people have pride-of-place, concern for themselves, their families and their communities, and a belief that "if you see something & say something", the next step as an immediate community or broader society, is to do something (effective).

I don't care if the OP had direct observations, research, anecdotal evidence or that "gut-feeling" we all get if we are honest with ourselves - it is normal for a rational person feel concern and express it.
Your and others disallusion and lack of perspective is the issue. Facts matter whether you want to study them or not. Just because you "feel" unsafe doesn't mean you are. Compiling stories of fear is part of the problem. Enjoy reading them if that's your fetish but don't get defensive when I call it out as irrational and sensational.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,570 times
Quote:
Your and others disallusion and lack of perspective is the issue. Facts matter whether you want to study them or not. Just because you "feel" unsafe doesn't mean you are. Compiling stories of fear is part of the problem. Enjoy reading them if that's your fetish but don't get defensive when I call it out as irrational and sensational.
Why is how someone feels, that's different from you, both irrational and sensational? Do you know this person and the neighborhood they specifically live in? Can you say for certain that this person has absolutely nothing to fear and fear is just in the mind and we're all delusional to even think Charlotte is anything but a Utopian society?

Why can't someone "feel" differently than you? State how you feel and then let others do the same without name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or