Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times

Advertisements

I have seen more snakes this year than I ever have before - we must have had a nest of them somewhere close to the house, because the kitties kept bringing them as "gifts" right at the beginning of Spring. They were almost always still alive, so I'd release them. Hmmm... maybe it was the same poor snake, over and over? (Just kidding - they were different.) Saw another when I cleaned up a small leaf pile in front of my porch the other day. These were just small garden snakes.

A few years ago, I had a HUGE black snake in the eaves of my house! It had gotten up there to get some baby birds. Now THAT creeped me out, even though I knew it wasn't harmful. I was grateful for my dog - I figured he'd go crazy if it got in the house.

I grew up in the country, out in the Mallard Creek area, (which WAS country back then!) and we saw more black widows out there than anything. We were such country kids, we weren't afraid at all. We took precautions, but we'd usually save the spiders in little jars, and donate them to the Nature Museum. Never got bit! I got to know what they look like very well. It's been years since I've seen one, though I'm sure they're around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
My son lives quite near the Rivergate mall and last year he had a 5' black rat snake that crawled up to the house and was looking in at his two cats. The cats, of course went ape-s**t.

He called the pest control officer who took the snake away. My son was told that the rat snake is not venomous.

This has only happened once.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
I was out in the cut yesterday afternoon searching for some artifacts at a logged site on the NW side of the county. As I was making my way back to my truck I observed a couple folks kinda loitering around a creek on a sewer line right of way.

As I got closer I saw that one of them was carrying a sharp-shooter (small shovel) I stopped to talk and it turned out they were a father and son who were doing a little summer 'adventuring'. The father was asking me about what was up ahead and seemed real nervous about being in/near the woods. He asked me what kind of wildlife was around, he had been a little spooked by some movement in the brush near them. I told them it was likely a deer being flushed out by their traipsing (I had already flushed a couple myself). Turns out he was using the shovel to probe EVERY SINGLE STEP, he was so scared of snakes.

I had on earphones, just enjoying a little time to myself on a hot summer day, and this guy looked absolutely terrified. I tried to calm his nerves a little and told them to plow ahead and they weren't far from some good arrowheads on the site I had just come from. His son was excited about the idea, but I had a feeling the father was still nervous.

I pointed them toward the general area and set on about my way, chuckling to myself about how slow they must be going.

Damn glad I'm not paralyzed with fear about harmless things.

Here's what I managed to find!

SPot the arrowhead!

There it is...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
I just found a picture of the rat snake crawling up the wall.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/31707_403208778770_507928770_4106741_5032103_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I just found a picture of the rat snake crawling up the wall.
That's nothing. In my neighborhood they let themselves in...

DING DONG!

RESIDENT: Who is it?

DING DONG

Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I was out in the cut yesterday afternoon searching for some artifacts at a logged site on the NW side of the county. As I was making my way back to my truck I observed a couple folks kinda loitering around a creek on a sewer line right of way.

As I got closer I saw that one of them was carrying a sharp-shooter (small shovel) I stopped to talk and it turned out they were a father and son who were doing a little summer 'adventuring'. The father was asking me about what was up ahead and seemed real nervous about being in/near the woods. He asked me what kind of wildlife was around, he had been a little spooked by some movement in the brush near them. I told them it was likely a deer being flushed out by their traipsing (I had already flushed a couple myself). Turns out he was using the shovel to probe EVERY SINGLE STEP, he was so scared of snakes.

I had on earphones, just enjoying a little time to myself on a hot summer day, and this guy looked absolutely terrified. I tried to calm his nerves a little and told them to plow ahead and they weren't far from some good arrowheads on the site I had just come from. His son was excited about the idea, but I had a feeling the father was still nervous.

I pointed them toward the general area and set on about my way, chuckling to myself about how slow they must be going.

SPot the arrowhead!

There it is...

Sad thing is, he will probably pass the fear onto his son.

Nice arrow head!ok:. I have found five in two states(NY & FL). Ever since moving here, I've been on the lookout for arrows, but haven't found any. I did find some civil war bullets. I believe they are 58 caliber.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:

SPot the arrowhead!
Nice find! I didn't notice until this morning that one of the tags on this thread is "lawyers".

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
Who or what in the world is a "pest control officer"????? I'd really like to know!!

Oh, and the only venomous snake here is the Copperhead, with maybe a few rare exceptions with rattlesnakes if you get into Gaston County. If you get out towards Albemarle or Uwharrie, we have all species of venomous snakes, including the Coral Snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
My son lives quite near the Rivergate mall and last year he had a 5' black rat snake that crawled up to the house and was looking in at his two cats. The cats, of course went ape-s**t.

He called the pest control officer who took the snake away. My son was told that the rat snake is not venomous.

This has only happened once.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad how so many people are so scared, or as you so aptly pegged it, "paralyzed with fear". It's amazing.

Nice find on the arrowheads!!

Quote:
Turns out he was using the shovel to probe EVERY SINGLE STEP, he was so scared of snakes.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
It would be humorous if it wasn't so sad how so many people are so scared, or as you so aptly pegged it, "paralyzed with fear". It's amazing.

Nice find on the arrowheads!!

Hey, hey now! You know I am scared....LOL!!!!
Snakes are creepy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte