U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM

93 posts, read 317,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Not sure where you got that information, but you are very wrong about that!

We had water moccasins where I grew up in Missouri. That's pretty far west of I-95!

Maybe you meant that we don't have any in "this part" of the state. I'd be careful about believing that too... as long as plants, produce, live fish, hay, and other farm products are shipped across state lines, you are going to have "non-native" critters hitching a ride and living in unexpected places...

Don't even get me started on non-native species invasions due to international shipping! Or on the Burmese python problem they have in the Florida due to people dumping pets...
This the NC forum not the United States forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,382,620 times
Wow! What a thread. Can someone tell me if snakes are in the lake. Do they stay close to short. The water temperature in Lake Norman yesterday was 87 degrees and all I had on my mind in Crocidiles.......

Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
[quote=mbina05;3098969]Just moved here from PA where we had a TERRIBLE tick problem. Our dear family dog got lyme disease and died before we moved here. Just made us sick to our stomach. We were elated to move away from the tick problem there, but have been informed that SNAKES are what we have to look forward to here in NC. Is this true? How bad is it? We are looking at building in a new community with a 1/3 acrea wooded back lot with a stream behind. Is this a recipe for disaster?

My husband is absolutely TERRIFIED of snakes so ALL input is appreciated to help us with our home search. Do we do new construction on a treeless lot, a older home, etc?

Thanks so much!

We have lived here in rural NC for almost 20 years. Before that, VA. I would say snake population about the same. Be alert and smart. Keep things cleared and trimmed and avoid keeping big piles of debris in your yard. We co-exists with no problems.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

873 posts, read 1,540,332 times
Snakes are everywhere, EVERYWHERE, in North Carolina. I had several jobs last week removing snakes from INSIDE people's homes!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM

2,829 posts, read 4,136,445 times
I have a large natural area in my front yard that is covered in pine straw. I was 'weeding' the pine straw yesterday and saw a snake. It was grey in color and not too big - slithered off when I pulled the pine straw up. The snake was partially covered by the dirt. Do snakes live underground like that?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDad View Post
This the NC forum not the United States forum.
This post has been on this forum for over 2 years, read thousands of times, and not been flagged by moderators as "off topic." It's pretty clear to me that it fits within the context of an evolving discussion.

I was simply trying to correct false information about the habitat of a poisonous snake. It's pretty important to get that right!

Missouri's Venemous Snakes

Is it Really a Water Moccasin?

Cottonmouth - North Carolina

Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 30,190 times
About 10 years ago I was mountain bike riding at Cane Creek Park on the fourth of July. We had stopped because of bike problems, where there were a couple of men fishing and camping. They said they had caught a cottonmouth on their fishing line. I know when I was a kid, my Northern Grandmother used to say, "North Carolina has more snakes and poisonous snakes in the "Union."

Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM

873 posts, read 1,540,332 times
Had a job yesterday and captured a very healthy 2 ft. long Copperhead inside the living room of the customer! This was in the middle of Charlotte!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM

686 posts, read 1,414,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Had a job yesterday and captured a very healthy 2 ft. long Copperhead inside the living room of the customer! This was in the middle of Charlotte!
Any idea how these are getting in the house???

Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,846 times
I live in Fort Mill and have killed 2 small copperheads already this year that were in my yard. I don't have tall grass, any debris in my yard, and I keep my grass pretty short.
My dog likes to chase the frogs and eat them, I'm afraid she'll try to eat the snakes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte