Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times

Advertisements

I think this might be at least somewhat what they did near Mint Hill at the intersection of 24/27 (Albemarle Rd) and Cabarrus Rd a couple years back (although I think part of the reason was there's also an elementary school at the intersection). You can no longer turn left onto 24/27, but they put in a u-turn area with a light. Especially during the AM rush hour, I think it is much easier/safer.

However, 74 is a busier road. I'd be concerned with if there is enough distance to get over to the left to make the u-turn, and if any additional lights would be added for the oncoming traffic (sorry, haven't really looked closely at the details).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM

368 posts, read 295,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think this might be at least somewhat what they did near Mint Hill at the intersection of 24/27 (Albemarle Rd) and Cabarrus Rd a couple years back (although I think part of the reason was there's also an elementary school at the intersection). You can no longer turn left onto 24/27, but they put in a u-turn area with a light. Especially during the AM rush hour, I think it is much easier/safer.

However, 74 is a busier road. I'd be concerned with if there is enough distance to get over to the left to make the u-turn, and if any additional lights would be added for the oncoming traffic (sorry, haven't really looked closely at the details).
Traffic signals will control all the left-turn/right-turns and the U-turns, IIRC. So while right-turn-on-red will be allowed, the weave won't be a problem if drivers wait for the signal.

US 281 in San Antonio carries about 80K vehicles per day. There's between 37-53K on US 74 in Union County. (US 281 does have six lanes.) US 15-501 in Chapel Hill and US 17 in Leland both have about 44K in their superstreet segments with four lanes, with capacity left. While 74 would likely need six lanes in the future, with the Monroe Bypass diverting a significant amount, it should be fine with four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte