U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 681 times

Advertisements

hi my name is sam and i am gonna move to charlotte. considering my personality i would like to live in a more walkable and hippie neighborhood with diverse population.
i have heard about NODA. can you guys tell me more about this neighborhood? i have two kids, is there fun stuff to do for them too?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 02:10 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,375,106 times
NODA and Plaza Midwood are the 2 "hippiest" neighborhoods in Charlotte. I don't think I'd describe them as the most child-friendly or best neighborhoods to raise a family. The schools in those areas aren't very good. Here's some good sites for further info:

NoDa - Home
https://www.facebook.com/nodaclt/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoDa_(...e_neighborhood)

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/4420...plaza-midwood/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza-...e_neighborhood)

Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM

1,454 posts, read 996,074 times
Chantily is pretty nice too and close to Plaza Midwood. You might find the neighborhood schools in Noda, Plaza Midwood, or Chantilly satisfactory, you might not (they aren't high ranked by test scores). You do have the option of magnet school through the school choice program in Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.

Dilworth is not "hippie", but it is unique and the homes are all historic. It is expensive, but the neighborhood schools are good. Dilworth Elementary will be combined with Sedgefield in 2018.

You might also compromise with Cotswold, which while not "hipster", it near neighborhoods like Plaza Midwood and Noda (within 15 minutes). It attends Myers Park High.

Shamrock Gardens Elementary serving Plaza Midwood is seeing strong parent involvement and improving test scores, it just has 99% of students considered low income so the students have a bigger hurdle.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:02 AM

391 posts, read 241,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_abbiati View Post
hi my name is sam and i am gonna move to charlotte. considering my personality i would like to live in a more walkable and hippie neighborhood with diverse population.
i have heard about NODA. can you guys tell me more about this neighborhood? i have two kids, is there fun stuff to do for them too?

thanks!
I think your kids will fit into any school on the westside. There is even one school that is so advanced that it is called a "University." It is Harding University. I believe Einstein graduated from there. There are other schools around town in diverse areas where your kids will likely fit in. Walkability? LOL. For the type of place you want to move, you will have to give up quality of life and education. You might have to move to less diverse section for safe walkability and/or a more conservative crowd but I don't suggest it. What kind of stuff do hippie kids do? Best of luck. You may want to check out Asheville (San Francisco East).

Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 AM

367 posts, read 558,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
There is even one school that is so advanced that it is called a "University." It is Harding University. I believe Einstein graduated from there.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:10 PM

391 posts, read 241,270 times
No I'm serious. Einstein is rumored to have gone there incognito.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,706,755 times
I like CLT4's suggestions. Agree with above that NoDa and Plaza Midwood are the hippiest. While I can think of worse places to raise a family, they may not be ideal, due to the schools and much of the social scene being focused on bars and such. But there are still parks in the area and you're close to the family friendly activities uptown. Still, neighborhoods like Chantilly and Cotswold put you close to those areas while being a little more family-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or