U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,120,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
I don't see why if you know what you are doing should not be able to cut your own grass. If you have that much invested in your home and yard, most ppl will do what needs to be done to keep that up.
I like having a HOA but at the same time I don't want a NAZI one either.
It does keep ppl somewhat in check..I don't want junky yards etc either or vacant homes.
There are grasses out there that no people have a clue how to cut and care for but professionals, and that even require special lawnmowers. I'm not kidding you! They are usually in very affluent neighborhoods and nothing that I could personally afford. It was very common with multi-million $ homes in FL and I imagine he had a quite expensive piece of property. I think a realtor should have let him know that professional landscaping was required. I went on a courtesy tour of the bay in Tampa with my realtor and she was pointing out grasses that required the special lawn mower. Apparently, according to her, you can really tell the difference when the lawn is done professionally or not.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 AM

221 posts, read 508,899 times
Anyone have experiences with the HOA for Marvin Creek?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,470,357 times
The two HOA threads I found in a title search have me frightened!

Goodness, garbage cans can't be on the curb for over an hour after the garbage truck comes? What are families with both parents working and all the children in school to do? Nobody is home after the garbage truck comes! LOL

The entire idea of not being able to install a privacy fence and a swimming pool is very oppressive. In the other thread, someone said their HOA doesn't permit swimming pools because there's a community pool. But I'd prefer my own swimming pool at times. I'd like to entertain on my own property around the pool. I'd like to sometimes enjoy a middle of the night experience with hubby in my own pool. Does the HOA really want people doing THAT in the community pool? I'll bet that community pool has certain hours. What if someone enjoys swimming during off hours? Oh, my! I just can't imagine people telling me how to live my life---when and where to do things!

I love to garden. The idea of not being able to plant a bush, tree, or plant that I like just makes me feel ill.

Property values go up in other cities without HOAs. Why do people want to be so oppressed? Why do people care so much about what everyone else is doing? My sister warned me that down south you can get fined for having a weed. I had no idea it was this bad until reading the last two threads.

Someone please tell me that there are houses available in the area that don't have HOAs.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 AM

2,112 posts, read 4,679,117 times
OK. Yes there are houses in the area without HOAs. We live in one. And before purchasing, we only looked at homes in subdivisions or neighborhoods without HOAs.

Sara

Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM

118 posts, read 235,923 times
What areas can we look into that do not have HOA's? We are also looking to relocate but do not want to move into a community with an HOA...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 AM

295 posts, read 890,158 times
I live in one, as well. There's no HOA, but all the houses in my neighborhood are on at least an acre ... most closer to 2 acres. The houses are quite nice and based on what the last few homes went for they're all around $500k as a starting point - so its not just old crappy neighborhoods that can escape the HOA hell.

Let me tell you - it was a huge plus for me to avoid the HOA. I take good care of my home and don't plan on doing anything extreme to it - but like a lot of people have said before ... ITS MY HOUSE! If I'm not doing anything that doesn't affect the neighbors, or the value of their property, it shouldn't be a big deal.

People existed with neighbors before HOA's existed. There are LAWS (not just HOA rules) that exist for some of the most deviant potential behaviors, but common curtesy should be all that matters.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but there are plenty of options for you if you want to avoid the HOA crap (although its hard to find, especially if you have a lazy realtor. With the thriving real estate market around here, though, its easy for a realtor to be lazy and to keep going back to what he/she knows best.) At the end of the day, this is a consumer-driven marketplace - just like anywhere else in America. If we avoid HOA's in droves, the market will dry up for them. I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but if enough of us seek homes with no HOAs, there will be an increasing supply of those types of communities.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM

70 posts, read 228,287 times
Gasp. I'll definitely be looking for a house w/o an HOA when I move to Charlotte this summer. I've never lived in an area with them and never ran into that freak neighbor who did anything to his property that bothered me. I'm shocked to hear such stories. The main problem w/HOAs is that it could be perfectly normal and non-intrusive when you sign up but then a few years later a new HOA board could start enforcing their own interpretations of the rules.

I want the freedom to install solar panels on my roof, a clothes line in my backyard, a swimming pool, whatever plants I choose and paint my door/house whatever color I fancy. If this bothers someone in my neighborhood, I pity them. They obviously have no idea of value. Cloned houses with stark yards are not unique and therefore hold no value to me. I hope other people see it this way too.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM

153 posts, read 316,899 times
That HOA sounds GREAT! And if the rules are causing people who are not comfortable with them to move, that is PERFECT.

I will never understand why anyone would even move into a nice neighborhood with a good, strict HOA if they want to "do their own (tacky) thing".

I never ceases to amaze me that people even in our neighborhood move in here, with a chance to read the bylaws first, then are just shocked and astounded that they have to keep their places looking up to a certain standard, moaning and complaining the whole time.

If people want to take their chances and be wild and free with their landscaping, yard upkeep, piling a bunch of junk in their garages so the mower, etc. won't fit (everything fits fine in ours, as do our cars), then take your mess and attitude somewhere where nobody cares about their property values, and nobody sees your "vision" of beauty except for you.

Last edited by carolinagirrrrrrrls; 07-07-2007 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 12:33 PM

739 posts, read 1,514,453 times
I respect the fact that lawns need to be kept nice and my hubby is very "anal" about mowing even if one blade of grass is just a little tall. But with this drought like weather and the watering ban, what is one to do? Actually our entire neighborhood has dead grass, all brown and burnt. Well except for the two who just overlook the ban and water all night anyway. I guess the HOA has no choice but to overlook this since it is all 35 homes plus the several that just got sod put down last week. It's pretty bad.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM

295 posts, read 890,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirrrrrrrls View Post
That HOA sounds GREAT! And if the rules are causing people who are not comfortable with them to move, that is PERFECT.

I will never understand why anyone would even move into a nice neighborhood with a good, strict HOA if they want to "do their own (tacky) thing".

I never ceases to amaze me that people even in our neighborhood move in here, with a chance to read the bylaws first, then are just shocked and astounded that they have to keep their places looking up to a certain standard, moaning and complaining the whole time.

If people want to take their chances and be wild and free with their landscaping, yard upkeep, piling a bunch of junk in their garages so the mower, etc. won't fit (everything fits fine in ours, as do our cars), then take your mess and attitude somewhere where nobody cares about their property values, and nobody sees your "vision" of beauty except for you.
Sorry, sunshine, but not everyone who wants to avoid HOAs is into trashing their own (and their neighbors') property values. Some of us will take care of what is valuable to us without being told what to do. Increased supervision isn't what I'm after as an adult. Its one more form of government telling me what do to. I'll obey the "big laws" fine, but being micromanaged isn't fun for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte