U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 PM

31 posts, read 24,802 times

Advertisements

Hello all, New Orleanian here. My wife and I are thinking of relocating to Charlotte by the end of 2018, with the caveat that we haven't been yet (visiting this Fall). We are both born and raised in New Orleans, but we've recently realized that this city does not fit in with our future. We've done a good bit of research on places we'd like to move, and Charlotte has consistently been at the top of our list for a number of reasons. We are both young professionals, no kids, roughly $100k in combined income and little debt. We think Charlotte could be a great place to put down roots.

My question for those of you that have relocated is: did you move because of work relocation, or did you move primary to live in Charlotte? We'd be in the latter group, although we'd have jobs lined up prior to leaving New Orleans. Interesting in hearing from those of you that have made the jump! I'm optimistic of what a life in your city could be like.

Cheers
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 AM

311 posts, read 214,701 times
I moved to Charlotte because of my husband's job. I preferred to stay in the upper Midwest, but I can't render a verdict on if I like it here because it's only been 2 months! I like winter, so I can see that being an issue for me. Can't see you having an issue with that. Frankly, it might seem quite chilly here for you! (I lived in Houston for a while, so I am familiar with your climate)

Most of my neighbors are from the Northeast and chose to move here simply because they wanted to live in Charlotte. I have met a lot of people that say the same-cheaper cost of living, higher quality of life, better climate, safer for kids, etc.. My husband's company has tons of people from the Northeast and CA that moved here for work. A smaller minority chose to move here just because they wanted to leave the higher cost of living.

You'll probably like it here, so I hope you enjoy your visit. Just a word of caution, however: Don't under estimate the importance of having family nearby. It's priceless, and I would give on a lot of things just to have that. But, that is just my opinion. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM

73 posts, read 56,647 times
We definitely fall into the latter group - moving to Charlotte in order to live in Charlotte. In fact, we took a major leap of faith and relocated before finding permanent work, but felt we could survive long enough on savings until I found something. To gypsyjudy's point, we do miss family as most remained behind in NY, but they visit and we've found that many of us transplants are in the same boat so "making family" through new friends has been surprisingly easy.

We did visit a few times before making the jump and for us, it felt like home immediately. I guess as they say, "when you know, you know."

Good luck.

John Kotrides

Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 AM

346 posts, read 548,915 times
Same with us. Been in the burbs of Charlotte since 2011 and no regrets. Took both my husband and myself less than a year to score full-time jobs. We are from the deep south as well, so realize there are a lot of NE transplants here. It's still the south, but you will encounter people from all walks of life here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkotrides View Post
We definitely fall into the latter group - moving to Charlotte in order to live in Charlotte. In fact, we took a major leap of faith and relocated before finding permanent work, but felt we could survive long enough on savings until I found something. To gypsyjudy's point, we do miss family as most remained behind in NY, but they visit and we've found that many of us transplants are in the same boat so "making family" through new friends has been surprisingly easy.

We did visit a few times before making the jump and for us, it felt like home immediately. I guess as they say, "when you know, you know."

Good luck.

John Kotrides

Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 AM

776 posts, read 1,306,443 times
Relocated last fall due to my wife taking a new job here. Came from Middle Tn. We were there 7 yrs, before that Suburban Chicago. For us, it's been a great move. We were ready to get back to a larger city after being in a smaller town. We decided to rent before buying here, and are going to renew the lease on our rental house for another year. We really like where we live, and housing costs are booming right now. Plus, I'm just not ready to go thru the whole moving process again.

I came without a job, found a p/t job to keep busy and have just changed to another p/t job has more hours and will be much more fun. Charlotte has everything that we could want and had been missing living in a smaller town.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,221,421 times
I have nothing to add that is helpful. I just wanted to say if I were you, I might really miss the great food, culture and music in New Orleans. I am from CLT, so I can say with confidence we are definitely lacking in these 3 areas compared to New Orleans. Best of luck in your move/decision.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,366,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I have nothing to add that is helpful. I just wanted to say if I were you, I might really miss the great food, culture and music in New Orleans. I am from CLT, so I can say with confidence we are definitely lacking in these 3 areas compared to New Orleans. Best of luck in your move/decision.
While true, the same can be said of every city in the country. I'm sure the OP is aware of that.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM

31 posts, read 24,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
New Orleans is a bad city with a lot of great perks, if that makes sense. The city was perfect for us during our early to mid 20s, but the drinking often, eating poorly and staying out all night at shows gets old after a while. Plus, New Orleans has nearly 100 murders already this year with less than 400,000 people, so the crime is starting to push us away. We still love our city for the good reasons, but we'd rather scratch that itch on weekend getaways and holidays now

Thank you everyone for the feedback! There's a lot of great information here

Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 AM

654 posts, read 515,228 times
I think there's plenty of good food, culture and music here if you look for it. There's a ton of different BBQ restaurants, and there's even a few New Orleans styled restaurants in the area (Cajun Yard Dog in the Arboretum is really good). And the food truck scene is steadily growing. Along with a lot of micro-breweries in the area.

There's many shopping centers in the summer that offer live music on the weekends and most of those shopping centers have green space built specifically for these concerts. Many towns also offer live music.

Culture is probably where we're lacking a bit more than most, but if you search a bit you can find it. Go to a Panthers game. Check out the art museums uptown, or the Levine Museum of the New South. Latta Plantation has a lot of events. Various town festivals. etc.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 AM

391 posts, read 240,914 times
I for one got burned out with New Orleans. It is basically a culture of drinking, music, crime, and eating. That is the extent of New Orleans culture. If you want to see a Broadway play, a symphony, or a art gallery crawl, New Orleans is not the place. It is true that the murder rate has decreased, but Hurricane Katrina can be thanked for that. All of the freeloaders took what they could from the city, state, and federal govt. and headed to Houston where the murder rate skyrocketed. At best, New Orleans is a good place for a long weekend of partying. Charlotte is another world with a culture of banking, business, international investments, entertainment, and rapid growth. My friends visiting from London were robbed on Canal Street, New Orleans near the Day's Inn. I almost shot a potential robber just off the French Quarter. In stead, I believe he crapped in his pants.

In my opinion, New Orleans is nightmare of a place to live. I would possibly feel differently if I were 25. I have friends that live in Slidell across the lake. That is more acceptable. In summary, if your life is to involve a culture not largely confined to drinking and tourist, you don't want to live in New Orleans. I used to stay in the Garden District which was one of the top neighborhoods in the city. I have no desire to return. I also got burned out with Pat O'Brien's. On the plus side, New Orleans has good southern and Cajun food and for certain people, can be Paradise.

Charlotte is one of the "Top Ten" hottest cities for food in the U.S. Basically, anyone that says Charlotte is "lacking a bit" culturally is probably homebound or oblivious to his/her environment. Charlotte may not be the best, but we are better than most and shooting for "the best."

Use New Orleans for weekend getaways. The best kept secret is to stop at rest areas on I-10 and make hotel reservations. They are about 50 percent cheaper than waiting until you get into town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or