U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM

7,182 posts, read 11,204,939 times

Advertisements

After commuting in northern NJ traffic and northern VA traffic, I do have to chuckle at Charlotte traffic.

HOWEVER, the I-77 corridor is getting pretty bad and there is no hope in sight. Especially with the toll road boondoggle. I don't envy anyone that is signing up to commute to Charlotte going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 PM

780 posts, read 723,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
You live in the DC area before you move down to Charlotte and then the traffic in Charlotte is a breeze compared to what you used to have to commute in the DC area.
This is true.

After dealing with D.C. Traffic for 10 years, I have no complaints about Charlotte.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 PM

11,678 posts, read 7,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I think he is saying people think more things will make them happier such as a bigger yard, bigger house, newer things, etc... and they prioritize those over a shorter commute to a smaller house where you can coach your kids little league games, etc..., i.e. less time at home with family and more time stressed driving to a new house you get home to at 7PM. It results in a lot of burned out parents by the time they get home and if one parent is doing the majority of the commuting, they sometimes don't feel involved if they see the kids for 2 hours before bed time. BUT people justify it because the kid they see for 2 hours has a designer bedroom from Pottery Barn so it is all worth it and they have provided the physical things considered success.
Haha - sometimes I do envision those slaving away in traffic as at least somewhat educated/sophisticated, driving newer $40-80k cars, living in newer construction McMansions and shopping at South Park Mall Potery Barn on the weekends. They've got life figured out.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 PM

11,678 posts, read 7,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
This is true.

After dealing with D.C. Traffic for 10 years, I have no complaints about Charlotte.
Perhaps a very large percentage of those happily grinding away in traffic are those who don't know life without it. I guess if "that's life" it may not be too annoying. I bet if those same people spent a few years away from the grind, they might have a totally different opinion.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,989,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
You live in the DC area before you move down to Charlotte and then the traffic in Charlotte is a breeze compared to what you used to have to commute in the DC area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
After commuting in northern NJ traffic and northern VA traffic, I do have to chuckle at Charlotte traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I understand what these posts are saying, but it's really an apples to oranges comparison. A more relevant comparison is comparing Charlotte in 2017 to Charlotte 10 or 20 years ago and anticipating what Charlotte traffic may be in another 10 or 20 years.

This reminds me of Grandpa telling his grandson who has to stand out in the rain for the bus that he shouldn't be complaining about that because Grandpa used to have walk 10 miles each way to school in the snow pulling his mule on a leash.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM

537 posts, read 548,750 times
I guess some people have to justify over paying for a small, old house in a crappy school system by saying their commute is shorter.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 PM

645 posts, read 756,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I think he is saying people think more things will make them happier such as a bigger yard, bigger house, newer things, etc... and they prioritize those over a shorter commute to a smaller house where you can coach your kids little league games, etc..., i.e. less time at home with family and more time stressed driving to a new house you get home to at 7PM. It results in a lot of burned out parents by the time they get home and if one parent is doing the majority of the commuting, they sometimes don't feel involved if they see the kids for 2 hours before bed time. BUT people justify it because the kid they see for 2 hours has a designer bedroom from Pottery Barn so it is all worth it and they have provided the physical things considered success.
I have to agree with this. I could never see why people would put up with a 45-90 minute commute even before Charlotte became what it is , and I can't understand it now. The unfortunate thing is that it'll just get worse as the tight real estate market makes it almost impossible to own a home close to uptown. Even if one lives near uptown, the major arteries leading to uptown are congested, thus making what was a fifteen minute commute twenty years ago a forty-five minute commute today.

At some point, Charlotte will have to say no to growth. Outlying areas can give incentive for business and industry to locate in adjacent counties. Let BoA (and related businesses) locate to Iredell county and see what happens to the traffic coming to Charlotte.

How do I manage it? I don't. My business office and my home is nowhere near uptown. I anticipated what was coming when I moved to Charlotte. I grew up on the east coast, and I swore I'd never put up with the NYC- and Boston-like traffic forever.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,712,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
I guess some people have to justify over paying for a small, old house in a crappy school system by saying their commute is shorter.
This is pretty blunt but kinda true. The desirable areas close to uptown are insanely expensive, so many people don't even really have the option of living in something more than like a 2 bedroom condo (but congrats to those that do!).

There are many parts of west, north and east Charlotte that are still affordable but don't exactly have the best crime statistics and/or school ratings. It will be interesting to see how real estate prices in those areas look over the next few years.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 AM

391 posts, read 241,626 times
Charlotte and metro will have to bite the bullet and incorporate mass transit in the form of larger commuter modes, i.e. light rail, heavy rail, larger and more frequent commuter buses operating from 1600 to 2400 hrs. Sometimes people are reluctant to use mass transit but eventually understand the convenience and commuter time difference and jump on the wagon. If this isn't done soon, the opportunity will be lost forever as land is becoming more scarce every day. I for one, don't mind paying a little more tax to help the traffic situation and keep Charlotte a destination for talented, contributing newcomers and tourists. Most importantly, a direct transit to the airport from downtown should be a high priority. I have no idea what numbskull decided to do the trolley to Elizabeth instead of using that funding for airport transportation. I bet it was the same numbskull that decided to run the light rail east instead of north. He is out of a job now isn't he? Priorities need reassessing.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 AM

1,455 posts, read 998,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Most importantly, a direct transit to the airport from downtown should be a high priority. .
The airport should be connected to Uptown via a fleet of dedicated express buses that don't make any stops until they reach Uptown like in Edinburgh or Dublin. Make the buses modern, with a wifi connection, comfortable seating, and make it around $4 each way. It would be faster than a light rail line that would have to make a couple stops too and likely require a transfer from the terminal out to the station.

The current Sprinter bus has 20 minute lead times between buses. Many people could drive to Uptown in that amount of time, even in rush hour, form the airport. Another issue with the Sprinter bus is people not feeling comfortable in the transit center with luggage, waiting for a bus, especially at night.

$7 long term parking that is among the cheapest for a major airport in America also makes driving to the airport an easy choice. Most of the business travelers just take Uber or private car and wouldn't ride a light rail either to Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or