Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,676 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving my job and health coverage when I move to Charlotte next month.
New York State has Healthy New York which I used once when out of work and had no health coverage. It is low cost health insurance.You get to choose from different health carriers.
I have been trying to locate a website that tells you about an equivalent type of health plan for North Carolina.
Does anyone know about this or the website?
Thank you NYMarlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
I don't know of any low cost health insurance here.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMarlene View Post
I will be leaving my job and health coverage when I move to Charlotte next month.
New York State has Healthy New York which I used once when out of work and had no health coverage. It is low cost health insurance.You get to choose from different health carriers.
I have been trying to locate a website that tells you about an equivalent type of health plan for North Carolina.
Does anyone know about this or the website?
Thank you NYMarlene
Try BCBSNC. They usually have the cheapest individual plans and depending on how long you need it they may even do temp insurance in this state which is even cheaper (they had that in TX, unsure about the temp here though.) Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM

43 posts, read 104,811 times
Default health ins.

i have been trying to find one Marlene.....good luck...even bcbs is a fortune for our family.....better hope for some type of universal health.......sooooon!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
If you are willing to do as we have done in the past, and get a policy that is more or less "catastrophic," w/ high deductible, you can get a policy w/ lower payments from BC/BS - you will just have to really look at the policies to see what is available.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times
There was an article in the Observer today about uninsured and how many of these are children.

Charlotte Observer | 03/11/2008 | The little faces behind the statistics (http://www.charlotte.com/162/story/531102.html - broken link)

It's not directly what you're looking for but its related to your question and wanted to share.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Nothing state sponsored as some other states have, in NC you are on your own and have to buy it retail on the open market. Young and healthy probably won't be too bad. Older, and/or health history and/or existing conditions, expensive if you can actually find a company that will cover you.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I don't know of any low cost health insurance here.

Me either. Even Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC's Blue Advantage was high, when you have to buy your own insurance it stinks...several hundred dollars a month and still high deductibles etc.

I had awesome insurance from my job at one time but over the years the coverage lessened SO much! Then when I left and went on my husband's insurance from his job, it was even worse..it's continued to get worse and less each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte