U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 PM

993 posts, read 742,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
With the reputation the Panthers were getting, there was the chance that we'd lose out on top tier FAs in the future.
That reputation is great to have. Its why Gettleman took a losing team way over the salary cap and turned them into winners under the salary cap in short order. There's 32 teams in the NFL and at any given position there's always a team desperate enough to overpay free agents. Allowing vets the choice to walk away and get their pay day is just part of being a successful GM.

I used to be worried Richardson would die and Charlotte would loose the Panthers. Now I'm worried he won't and we'll suffer another decade of mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,392,665 times
WTF? They are bringing Hurney back as interim GM. That is so dumb.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM

19,971 posts, read 18,841,469 times
Bringing back Hurney as the interim general manager is a dumb idea indeed. Sadly, training camp is about to get underway with the preseason and the regular season coming up. There are not many immediate options to bring in a permanent general manager.

Thinking beyond the vacancy at general manager, the Carolina Panthers need to fill critical positions in their organization. Someone needs to preside over the organization as President, and someone needs to preside and direct football operations.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 AM

The White House is a well oiled machine compared to the Panthers right now.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM

The Carolina Panthers should learn and implement executive organization quickly.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM

660 posts, read 576,846 times
Gettleman is from Boston. We assume that some people from the Northeast are snobs, or have poor people skills. That is unfair and an unjust assumption. I think for Gettleman, it was all business. Changing a roster and removing players has to be the most difficult part of the job. Doing it quickly, moving on, refusing to shake hands, maybe that's just a way to move on to other duties. I know I'm speculating, but I do believe he improved the team, and the Panthers were moving in a direction to be a consistent contender each and every year like the Patriots, the Steelers, and the Packers. Contending every year for a championship is what excites me, more so than having popular players. Eventually, sooner or later, everyone that plays professional sports will go into the office to have the dreaded meeting with a GM.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM

National Football League general managers are tasked with executing team member personnel decisions that can help the team win or lose. When a general manager does not retain or acquire the team members a coach needs to win and alienates from the organization, it becomes necessary to move on and move forward.

I think Gettleman had developed issues with Richardson and Rivera.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM

657 posts, read 519,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Eventually, sooner or later, everyone that plays professional sports will go into the office to have the dreaded meeting with a GM.
Problem is that Gettleman didn't have the players enter his office before they were let go. He didn't even give them a phone call. Over time, that reputation will impact the types of players that we end up with.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,615,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The White House is a well oiled machine compared to the Panthers right now.
I disagree. Not because the White House is what it is but because the Panthers are not in a horrible position with the product they can put on the field right now. An immediate savior or overhaul isn't necessary but having someone come in that can help make some personnel decisions in training camp is necessary. I don't like Hurney and think he's pretty much one of the worst GMs in history so hopefully it will be much more of a group decision on personnel moves involving coaches, scouts and the interim GM versus just Marty's decision.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I disagree. Not because the White House is what it is but because the Panthers are not in a horrible position with the product they can put on the field right now. An immediate savior or overhaul isn't necessary but having someone come in that can help make some personnel decisions in training camp is necessary. I don't like Hurney and think he's pretty much one of the worst GMs in history so hopefully it will be much more of a group decision on personnel moves involving coaches, scouts and the interim GM versus just Marty's decision.
You're very literal, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or