U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM

538 posts, read 1,656,282 times

Advertisements

We are orignally from Southern California but my husband's job brought us to Austin 4 years ago. We were all too happy to get out of So. Cal and it worked out perfectly as our last child was just going into high school. He has now graduated and will be going to college in Houston. In September three of our four kids will be in Austin, their choice. We love having being close but we never asked them to move here because we were not sure this was our forever home.

As it turns out my husband's new job will allow us to move anywhere in the Southeast. We are now thinking we would like to move a little farther east and have the seasons, and I have always loved the homes in the Southeast. While Austin landscape is lovely (we are close to Hill Country in NW Austin), the homes and architecture are just not appealing to us. It has been nice having our kids close again but they don't know where their careers will take them so we don't need to be rooted here.

I would love to know if anyone has lived in Austin AND Charolotte, and if there is a huge difference in the culture and people. Coming from California we loved that not everyone was a native of Austin, it made it very easy to make friends. We also liked the Southern manners and hospitality. Our son is a different kid, he says "yes sir, yes ma'am,etc." I work as a substitute at our local high school and the kids behavior here is so much better than the kids I taught in California. There is a higher level of respect for adults and authority figures. That is just my experience in our area, I can't speak for all of Austin or all of California.

The culture here is laid back and the people are very welcoming, even though most are from other areas. It has also grown A LOT, in four years and we are deifintely seeing a change in traffic, stress levels, and home prices.

I have been looking at areas near a friend of ours in NC (mostly Huntersville and Cornelius). I love the homes, and the prices! I love the green landscape and the fact that we will still be in the south but will be able to drive to visit family in NJ if we want.

Any thoughts on Charlotte and it's suburbs versus Austin would be helpful. We of course plan on visitng, and we have no plans to leave for at least a year, but I want to know if NC is an option.

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:22 PM

4,555 posts, read 7,023,691 times
Remember when comparing prices that NC has state income tax whereas Texas does not.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times
Never lived in Austin but have visted (earlier this year in fact) and lived in NC my entire life. You're in luck in terms of looking for a place where most folks aren't from that immediate area, either Huntersville or Cornelius would fit that bill as would most of the Charlotte region. Lots of transplants from various places but mostly from the northeast.

Let us know what's most important to you in terms of a community to live in and many on here can probably help you narrow it down a little. I personally love Austin and not sure you'll find anything that resembles that here but certainly NC is still a great place to call home.

Regardless of where you choose you will get 4 seasons and cheaper real estate prices (for the most part) and state income taxes (boo). Oh, and you'll get real BBQ here too. haha Kidding. I know Texas loves it's BBQ (smoked meat) and I love their bbq too. Louie Mueller and Stiles Switch are my favorite there. Good luck on your move!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 AM

50 posts, read 27,243 times
Research online then visit for about a week to a week and a half to see how you like it. I got out of the Air Force active duty came back home to Charlotte just to go to school. I'm now regretting not going back to TX which I lived in not only for school but for other opportunities. Charlotte is growing too much too fast. A Brooklyn New Yorker actually told me this. He said that they're messing up cause not only didn't they plan correctly for this. They the (local government are being greedy). They are talking about baseball, and soccer teams. Really we're all about professional football and basketball. Our taxes have went up a lot and I don't see them stopping. So you have been forewarned. Don't let it stop you from coming through to see how you like it.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,772,456 times
I have lived in both cities and will try to answer your question to the beat of my abilities.
Similarities:
- Welcoming cities with friendly people
- Both places are rapidly growing and have strong economies
- Both are family-friendly
-
Differences:
- Austin has the Colorado river running through it providing tons of recreational activities for residents. There is also Lake Travis, Ladybird Lake and Barton Springs which also offer water relief. Charlotte does not have a river, but two large lakes (Norman & Wylie) which are used quite a bit. Advantage - Austin
- Charlotte's location is ideal being is three hours from the beach (Wilmington, Myrtle) and two hours from the mountains (Asheville)
Austin is three hours from Galveston, but no mountains other than Mount Bonnell. The hill country near Austin is quite nice, though. Advantage - Charlotte
- Austin has a thriving tech and live music scene which fosters a creative environment whereas Charlotte is a banking hub and has more of a corporate vibe. Advantage - Slight edge to Austin (Because I am a creative type!)
- You will hear people mention that NC has a state tax opposed to TX which does not, but do not be fooled. Property taxes are pretty high in TX if you decide to buy a home. NC property taxes are a bit lower I believe. Advantage - Charlotte
- Charlotte has two professional sports teams (Hornets, Panthers) and is working on eventually probably getting a MLB team in the future. Austin has no professional sports but it does have UT who's stadium is as nice or nicer than some of the pro teams! Advantage - Charlotte
- Here's where it gets tricky...infrastructure! Austin's roads are inadequate for the growth it is experiencing. Period. Stay away from 35 when UT has a game! There are some toll roads and the Metrorail to help alleviate some of the congestion. Unfortunately Charlotte is not much better. The roads there struggle with the burgeoning growth as well. It has express (toll) lanes in each direction on I-485 and the LYNX, the light rail in addition to I-77. Advantage - Charlotte, barely
- Charlotte gets all four seasons. Austin gets them as well, but, they are not as pronounced. I think Austin's weather is a little more unstable. I remember going from a sunny day to driving in snow where the roads were hard to see...all within an hour! Tornado warnings were more frequent in Austin although Charlotte is not immune to them! Charlotte gets bad ice storms, though. Advantage - Charlotte
- Austin, headquarters for Whole Foods, does not get enough credit for its food scene. This was one aspect of the city I really enjoyed. Not the chain restaurants, the locally owned mom & pops type. Great food and a nice variety. Charlotte has lots of smaller non-chain restaurants but they did not stand out to me like Austin's. Advantage - Austin

There is a lot more I could ramble on about, but I'll stop here. There are posters who are more knowledgeable who hopefully will chime in. My final word is that both are great cities so I don't think either is a bad choice. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM

31 posts, read 24,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I have lived in both cities and will try to answer your question to the beat of my abilities.
Similarities:
- Welcoming cities with friendly people
- Both places are rapidly growing and have strong economies
- Both are family-friendly
-
Differences:
- Austin has the Colorado river running through it providing tons of recreational activities for residents. There is also Lake Travis, Ladybird Lake and Barton Springs which also offer water relief. Charlotte does not have a river, but two large lakes (Norman & Wylie) which are used quite a bit. Advantage - Austin
- Charlotte's location is ideal being is three hours from the beach (Wilmington, Myrtle) and two hours from the mountains (Asheville)
Austin is three hours from Galveston, but no mountains other than Mount Bonnell. The hill country near Austin is quite nice, though. Advantage - Charlotte
- Austin has a thriving tech and live music scene which fosters a creative environment whereas Charlotte is a banking hub and has more of a corporate vibe. Advantage - Slight edge to Austin (Because I am a creative type!)
- You will hear people mention that NC has a state tax opposed to TX which does not, but do not be fooled. Property taxes are pretty high in TX if you decide to buy a home. NC property taxes are a bit lower I believe. Advantage - Charlotte
- Charlotte has two professional sports teams (Hornets, Panthers) and is working on eventually probably getting a MLB team in the future. Austin has no professional sports but it does have UT who's stadium is as nice or nicer than some of the pro teams! Advantage - Charlotte
- Here's where it gets tricky...infrastructure! Austin's roads are inadequate for the growth it is experiencing. Period. Stay away from 35 when UT has a game! There are some toll roads and the Metrorail to help alleviate some of the congestion. Unfortunately Charlotte is not much better. The roads there struggle with the burgeoning growth as well. It has express (toll) lanes in each direction on I-485 and the LYNX, the light rail in addition to I-77. Advantage - Charlotte, barely
- Charlotte gets all four seasons. Austin gets them as well, but, they are not as pronounced. I think Austin's weather is a little more unstable. I remember going from a sunny day to driving in snow where the roads were hard to see...all within an hour! Tornado warnings were more frequent in Austin although Charlotte is not immune to them! Charlotte gets bad ice storms, though. Advantage - Charlotte
- Austin, headquarters for Whole Foods, does not get enough credit for its food scene. This was one aspect of the city I really enjoyed. Not the chain restaurants, the locally owned mom & pops type. Great food and a nice variety. Charlotte has lots of smaller non-chain restaurants but they did not stand out to me like Austin's. Advantage - Austin

There is a lot more I could ramble on about, but I'll stop here. There are posters who are more knowledgeable who hopefully will chime in. My final word is that both are great cities so I don't think either is a bad choice. Good luck.
As someone that is considering moving to both cities, thank you for this post.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,866,054 times
As someone who has lived in both cities, I agree with what goolsbyjazz said completely. Both are two of the fastest growing cities in the country, but Charlotte, for me, has more amenities and better proximity to other major destinations. There is sort of this aurora around Charlotte that makes you feel like you can accomplish anything.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM

538 posts, read 1,656,282 times
Thanks so much for staying objective about both cities. I agree with everything you said about Austin. It's probably going to come down to how I feel when I visit. I love the greenery of the east and the hospitality and architecture of the south so NC fulfills both those needs. There are of course pros to staying in Austin as well. My husband is in banking so NC might be a good move for his career and that will be a factor as well. Any other info would be welcome,

Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,866,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Thanks so much for staying objective about both cities. I agree with everything you said about Austin. It's probably going to come down to how I feel when I visit. I love the greenery of the east and the hospitality and architecture of the south so NC fulfills both those needs. There are of course pros to staying in Austin as well. My husband is in banking so NC might be a good move for his career and that will be a factor as well. Any other info would be welcome,
As Iím sure you know, Charlotte is the third largest banking center in the country after New York City and San Francisco and home to the headquarters of Bank of America.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,447 times
Somebody could make a little money selling shirts that say "Get Charlotte Weird."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or