Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times

Advertisements

Be safe out there everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 PM

604 posts, read 652,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Not surprised. The trend in Charlotte is clear and has been for a couple of years.

I was surprised to see San Jose and Austin on the list with their relatively low crime rates.
it is about the increasing crime, both San Jose and Austin are much safer than Charlotte at less then 1/2 the crime rate in Charlotte:

San Jose
- Percent change in violent crime rate: 9.7%
- Violent crime rate per 100,000: 316.7

Austin
-Percent change in violent crime rate: 10%
-Violent crime rate per 100,000: 351.2

Charlotte (worst than LA, Dallas, Oklahoma, Nashville, Denver):
- Percent change in violent crime rate: 22.5%
- Violent crime rate per 100,000: 860.6

Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 AM

231 posts, read 213,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL..civil unrest . Is that what you call that crime spree?
Well, being a gainfully employed straight white male, aka: the root of all evil, I was using the diplomatic term for when people who hate their country lose their minds these days.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 07-26-2017 at 04:18 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Not surprised. The trend in Charlotte is clear and has been for a couple of years.

I was surprised to see San Jose and Austin on the list with their relatively low crime rates.
But it also said Austin's murder rate was at 39 for 2016, and that was the highest in decades.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:41 AM

383 posts, read 392,184 times
I am surprised. I just moved here from St. Louis (before that Detroit, before that Madison, WI), and I am really surprised at the violent crime here. I was not expecting it to be this bad. Living in St. Louis was like living in a war zone (had 3 people shot 3 houses down, carjackings nearbly, Metrolink killings are ongoing, etc.). We lived too far out of Detroit to feel the crime impact there. Madison, WI was seeing a spike in crime when we left (after 13 years), but it was still low. Now, we live in Wesley Chapel here, and I am really surprised at how much crime there is. Very sad.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:06 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I am surprised. I just moved here from St. Louis (before that Detroit, before that Madison, WI), and I am really surprised at the violent crime here. I was not expecting it to be this bad. Living in St. Louis was like living in a war zone (had 3 people shot 3 houses down, carjackings nearbly, Metrolink killings are ongoing, etc.). We lived too far out of Detroit to feel the crime impact there. Madison, WI was seeing a spike in crime when we left (after 13 years), but it was still low. Now, we live in Wesley Chapel here, and I am really surprised at how much crime there is. Very sad.
Isn't that the case now, living in Wesley Chapel? Is there crime in WC?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM

383 posts, read 392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Isn't that the case now, living in Wesley Chapel? Is there crime in WC?
I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. Charlotte's crime is bad, but we haven't seen any at all in Wesley Chapel. Seems very low crime. Fortunately, we have a police officer living next door!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
I live in Charlotte and it's an absolute war zone. Can't even go outside anymore. SAD!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM

615 posts, read 537,467 times
The bottom line is does the average person feel safe in their home, neighborhood, or the areas that they visit. I know that I feel safe in all areas. Sure isolated incidents occur but I feel safe in areas that I frequent. Unfortunately, those that live in some poor neighborhoods may not feel as well. But I do not know this....I am just guessing. But I do not think there is any city in country of charlotte's size that does not have some crime. And it is either going up or down all of the time. It is not staying the same. In cities of Charlotte's size isolated crimes occur. Much has been made of NYC and it's so called low crime rate. I would feel much safer walking in charlotte than NYC. Manhatten. Bronx, Brooklyn, queens would all be less safe to walk in that Charlotte. Yet the stats paint a picture that NYC is safe. Only a fool would feel more comfortable walking in NYC compared to Charlotte.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I would feel much safer walking in charlotte than NYC. Manhatten. Bronx, Brooklyn, queens would all be less safe to walk in that Charlotte. Yet the stats paint a picture that NYC is safe.
NOTHING about my recent trips to NYC, with plenty of walking in Manhattan (including Harlem) and Brooklyn, felt unsafe. Obviously a city like that will have bad areas (as will a town as small as High Point, NC), but that statement sounds like it comes from someone who hasn't actually walked the streets of New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte