U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,372,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellu91 View Post
What's the fee?
The largest portion of the cost is usually the 3% Highway Use Tax, although if you are bringing in a car from out of state that is capped at $250. The title fee is $52, the license plate is $36 and an annual inspection is either $14 or $30, depending on where you live. The Highway Use Tax and title fee are one time expenses, the license plate and inspection is annual. The other annual fee is property taxes. The amount depends on the car's value and your local property tax rate. For a $20,000 car its going to be around $200 per year.

Here's all the info from the DMV website: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/

Last edited by BC1960; 07-31-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,372,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_911 View Post
It's pretty significant. On a $45k valued vehicle I just paid around $700. And that's every single year!

Granted the car will decrease in value but still it's a fee that never goes away and unlike mortgage tax it's not deductible.
You appear to be talking about the local property tax. It is tax deductible.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM

69 posts, read 41,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You appear to be talking about the local property tax. It is tax deductible.
After I wrote it I gave it some more thought and you are correct!

Old 08-06-2017, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 2,143 times
Thanks everyone for all the help! It is a good thing to know all the expenses to expect.
Thanks!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,872,364 times
We moved from SoFla in 2008, and we were caught unaware of the additional taxes and expenses here. It's really easy to overspend on utilities here. Our first summer we used the underground sprinklers, and our water bill went up 4x what we thought it would cost. We haven't used them since. Our first winter we kept the house heated to a toasty temperature. Our gas and electric bills almost broke us. Now we use room heaters for the bedrooms, and electric blankets. After 9 years, we are used to things, and wouldn't consider going back to Florida. Especially now that Publix and Popeye's are here lol. Feel free to PM if you have questions

Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 PM

57 posts, read 36,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The largest portion of the cost is usually the 3% Highway Use Tax, although if you are bringing in a car from out of state that is capped at $250. The title fee is $52, the license plate is $36 and an annual inspection is either $14 or $30, depending on where you live. The Highway Use Tax and title fee are one time expenses, the license plate and inspection is annual. The other annual fee is property taxes. The amount depends on the car's value and your local property tax rate. For a $20,000 car its going to be around $200 per year.

Here's all the info from the DMV website: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/

Appreciate the breakdown. Ahh, driving a 15+ year old Camry with almost 250K miles finally has some benefits

Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 2,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
We moved from SoFla in 2008, and we were caught unaware of the additional taxes and expenses here. It's really easy to overspend on utilities here. Our first summer we used the underground sprinklers, and our water bill went up 4x what we thought it would cost. We haven't used them since. Our first winter we kept the house heated to a toasty temperature. Our gas and electric bills almost broke us. Now we use room heaters for the bedrooms, and electric blankets. After 9 years, we are used to things, and wouldn't consider going back to Florida. Especially now that Publix and Popeye's are here lol. Feel free to PM if you have questions
Haha... well, I think I'll survive anywhere as long as I can get a Publix Sub

I had the thought about heating in the back of my mind but you reminded me - my aunt moved there a while a go and when they came back down for the winter they kept some kind of heat on for the pipes... well, they got back to a (I believe) $3,000 electric bill... Electric blankets and room heaters will be bought for our first winter, thanks

How do you water your lawn, or do you?

Would you say expenses are more, same or less than SoFla? Does the cost of living make up for the extra taxes?

I tried to PM but I'm a newbie on here and couldn't figure it out lol

Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM

391 posts, read 241,148 times
Don't worry about it. You don't have to worry about flood insurance and out of sight property taxes as in most of Florida. No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or