Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

What Andrew said. Definitely fine for a DIY-er. You can get an inexpensive mitre box. I got one similar to this when we redid our kitchen: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-Adj...th-Saw/1208303 . They make a cheaper all plastic one that's about $15, but I figured this one might be more durable.

I'm not a super handy person with all the tools and a woodworking shop in the garage, but I thought it was pretty doable even for a novice like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 AM

82 posts, read 188,080 times
I would get a nail set as well. It will help you sink nail below surface without marring wood with hammer marks. You then fill the depression with putty.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM

231 posts, read 213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That actually sounds awesome but I would hate to be the person pulling it off to replace the flooring in the future!! Great for flips though.
That's a good point. I've never lived in one house long enough to replace the flooring twice so I didn't really worry about removal.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 AM

345 posts, read 871,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
This is not hard and you can do it with only a modest investment in tools but you should have some of these tools anyway. You need a hammer, a drill with a fine bit, a simple miter box, a fine toothed saw, some small finishing nails (maybe 1 1/2"), a tube of Painter's Caulk, and a caulk gun. If you pre-drill the holes in the 1/4 round, it will make nailing a lot easier and accurate. The holes should be slightly smaller than the finish nail. The painter's caulk is to fill any gaps between the 1/4 round and baseboard.

It sounds like you have practically no experience in this kind of work so you should spend time watching videos on YouTube to find some good techniques for measuring and cutting.
Thanks for inputs.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:58 AM

345 posts, read 871,291 times
As AndrewCarnegie said it's not difficult task if you have right tools and some skill.

Due to lack of time, i got a flooring guy do it for me, I provided the material, an it took him about 3 hours to finish it, so this was cost effective than going with the flooring company as their labor charges was way high. I did have an idea that it wouldn't cost that high so it worked out well.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM

7 posts, read 10,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
As AndrewCarnegie said it's not difficult task if you have right tools and some skill.

Due to lack of time, i got a flooring guy do it for me, I provided the material, an it took him about 3 hours to finish it, so this was cost effective than going with the flooring company as their labor charges was way high. I did have an idea that it wouldn't cost that high so it worked out well.
Who did you use? How reasonable was the price?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
Yes, flooring company offered, but charge was ridiculous, so decided to get it done myself. found that material costs anywhere .5$/sqft, so looking for someone who can install it, noticed that it needs a nail gun and grout fill etc. but doesn't seem like lot of labor.
First I would question anyone who would try to sell you quarter-round by the square foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte