Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm not quite ready for a "tiny home" but I've often wondered if an actual neighborhood would ever take off in Charlotte. The price looks good too. Welcome to Keyo Park!

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1001...eyo-park-west/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:41 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Pricing starts at $89,995 for a lot and a one-bedroom, one-bathroom 493-square-foot home

Yikes

Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Personally I love the idea of tiny house living. I think as humans we value possessions way too much (myself certainly included) and living simpler doesn't mean being worse off.

For me the appeal is retiring earlier. If an average mortgage is around 1200-1500 per month in the area you are able to put potentially $1k into savings per month! That's not even factoring in cheaper living expenses as you aren't heating/cooling nearly as much square footage nor would you be spending as much on "stuff" as you just don't have room for it.

I get a kick out of the new Tiny House Paradise on HGTV now too. Seeing these tiny houses in tropical locations like Costa Rica or Hawaii and being affordable is great. Obviously if you are in a cold climate it might be a little different as the typical trade-off is less inside space because you're trading it for being outdoors.

Glad to see this planned neighborhood is houses and not on wheels. I wouldn't like the appeal nearly as much if it was basically a tiny mobile home and I was living in a mobile home park. Your investment would go south quickly whereas with houses on foundations I think your investment has more potential, even if you are in a niche market.

Think I will go check out the open house coming up August 19th!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Pricing starts at $89,995 for a lot and a one-bedroom, one-bathroom 493-square-foot home

Yikes
I don't know what it costs to put a new home up in this area, but that does seem a bit steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Personally I love the idea of tiny house living. I think as humans we value possessions way too much (myself certainly included) and living simpler doesn't mean being worse off.

For me the appeal is retiring earlier. If an average mortgage is around 1200-1500 per month in the area you are able to put potentially $1k into savings per month! That's not even factoring in cheaper living expenses as you aren't heating/cooling nearly as much square footage nor would you be spending as much on "stuff" as you just don't have room for it.
There is an appeal to be debt free...that would be my draw.

The ultimate floorplan (for me) would provide 850 square feet of living space, as it would allow plenty of space for storage. But I am glad that there's an interest in micro houses in this area...some are quite creative, and the idea of being less wasteful is certainly appealing.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't know what it costs to put a new home up in this area, but that does seem a bit steep.

There is an appeal to be debt free...that would be my draw.
That comes out as $182.5 a square foot, if memory serves my house is $85 a square foot.

Current average for around here is about $110 a square foot.

So I think they are really charging premium and off course that is just the starting price.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 AM

231 posts, read 213,418 times
Quote:
That comes out as $182.5 a square foot, if memory serves my house is $85 a square foot.

So I think they are really charging premium and off course that is just the starting price.
I find the tiny house movement to be interesting but, I'm pretty well convinced it's a fad that will eventually fizzle in most areas. The only way I can see it working is in the Goldilocks areas where there is land to build on close to a major metro area that commands a premium but, not enough of a premium to be the super posh let's build a mansion type of area.

I'm curious how the financial side of it works. Are people mostly paying cash for these things? Because I'm not sure how you convince the bank your house is worth double the average per square foot just because it's small. I'm also not sure I'd want to try to sell it afterward.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:

185 per foot is cheap in some parts of town.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
185 per foot is cheap in some parts of town.

Sure, but the tiny houses aren't being built in those areas. It's a better comparison to look at prices per SF where they are being built. While sales data shows homes with smaller SF tend to sell for slightly higher per SF prices than larger homes in the same area, $185 a SF isn't only slightly higher for that area. It's WAY, WAY higher.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
this is a backazzzward concept. I like the idea of downsizing or minimalist but the price point is insane. Why should I have to pay a premium for a 1 bedroom?

I currently live in a 1200 sq ft house that's probably $100 a sq ft.

I only like this concept if it's in a tropical paradise or a home in the mountains.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Sure, but the tiny houses aren't being built in those areas. It's a better comparison to look at prices per SF where they are being built. While sales data shows homes with smaller SF tend to sell for slightly higher per SF prices than larger homes in the same area, $185 a SF isn't only slightly higher for that area. It's WAY, WAY higher.
Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte