U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 PM

148 posts, read 417,731 times

Advertisements

We are Jewish and moved here about a month ago. We have already met 3 Jewish families that moved here in the last month alone and have met many other Jewish families. We have met people from all religions and races as well. We live in western Union County (Marvin area). Good luck with your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,475 times
Yea, I don't get the posts of people that say "we are polish,we are jewish, we are from Europe...will we fit in".
I guess i've never been to a city where people shunned others. Maybe b/c i've grown up here and it's a melting pot of everyone from all over.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,620 times
What does being Jewish have to do with fitting in? Would a Christian fit in in New York?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM

26 posts, read 62,097 times
Default Jewish Community in north Charlotte

There is a small but vibrant Jewish community in north Charlotte and the suburbs north of Charlotte (Lake Norman Jewish Congregation). It is new but they have a full time rabbi and services. It provides a less concentrated population of Jews, but a warm and caring community when one needs it. You can get more bang for your buck in north charlotte than, and you can be close to Lake Norman.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
What does being Jewish have to do with fitting in?
I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Would a Christian fit in in New York?
Absolutely yes, I know many.

Two trends in posts here are somewhat opposing, yet occur on a regular basis:

1) Threads about how Charlotte does not have enough diversity. In other words people wish to see vibrant displays of various cultures, creeds, and religions. We are a small melting pot, certainly not on the order of NYC.

2) Threads where Jewish families ask how they will be accepted as they desire to be surrounded with like minded people. My father's business partner in the late 60's here in Charlotte was a Jewish gentlemen, and it was never odd or even discussed. There was nothing to discuss. Our family was Christian and his family was Jewish yet we all got along fine and enjoyed each others company.

The bottom line is that Charlotte is relatively inexpensive, relatively safe, and IMHO extremely accepting of all religions, or even none at all.

Last edited by mullman; 07-22-2008 at 05:58 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
So much for Ani's thread on "Diversity...what's the point..." for clearing up why people feel the need to ask these types of questions...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,550,442 times
Whether you guys might thnk it or not, there are places in North Carolina where Jews might have a difficult time. however, Charlotte is probably not one of those places. Especially if you consider they will be looking for a $500-700k.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM

264 posts, read 828,053 times
It's like voluntary racial segregation.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 AM

90 posts, read 220,431 times
There are definitly places where jews would have trouble. My wife teaches and has had issues with students because she is jewish. Its easy for christians in this chat room to say its not an issue, but thats because your the majority. While most people do not care what religion you are there are some people who hate others .

Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 AM

100 posts, read 325,477 times
Ok so I will be the one who tells you differently I grew up in a very heavily populated jewish area in Pittsburgh and then moved to Sfla where the area was also heavily populated. The Jewish community is small here and everyone is nice but still it is difficult to be Jewish here if it is the center of your life and who you are. We live in Union county and my son's field trip is on Yom kippur the response i got form the principal was oh sorry and we cannot guarantee it will not happen again. that is just one incident, I do not want to say do not move here but we are moving back to where we fell we can be Jewish. It is beautiful here and great for kids but I feel for my kids and us as a family it is hard. Good luck with what ever you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte