U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,547,849 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that Jews are very well thought of here in Charlotte. No doubt, a lot of this respect and admiration results from the fact that Jewish families are major contributors to our excellent medical care and cultural activities: Blumenthal Cancer Center (CMC), Levine Children's hospital (CMC), and Blumenthal Center for the Performing Arts to name only three.

Furthermore, many non-Jews regularly use the JCC for activities ranging from arts and crafts to exercise.

There are many very observant Jews whose lives revolve around their temple, the JCC and the Jewish Day School. There are probably as many who, while ethnically Jewish, are not particulary observant attending temples services only at the high holidays. Their main Jewish "connection" is probably with the JCC.

Both groups fit very well into Charlotte life although the former group is probably not as visible to other Charlotteans as they tend to socialize with like-minded folks.

Church affiliation is an important factor in Charlotte life and what I say about Jews is also true about members of other religions. A great deal of activity revolves around one's church. A child whose family is not church going usually learns to play alone on Sunday morning.

I hope what I've said adds to and perhaps clarifies what has been said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,074 times
We live in Union county and my son's field trip is on Yom kippur the response i got form the principal was oh sorry and we cannot guarantee it will not happen again. "

And this was a suprise to you? Seems a little self-centered I have to say. Not to say that Yom Kippur isn't imporant or anything like that, but the whole school should consider shifting dates around? Please explain this in case I have missed somthing, maybe there is somthing I can learn. I have heard from time to time that natives of Virgina and the Carolinas are starting to complain about transplants from the north-east, and the lack of respect they show for such a vastly different part of the country, and I generally assumed it was them who were being narrowminded and unwilling to change a little for others. Maybe they have a legit gripe after all.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeroad80 View Post
We live in Union county and my son's field trip is on Yom kippur the response i got form the principal was oh sorry and we cannot guarantee it will not happen again. "

And this was a suprise to you? Seems a little self-centered I have to say. Not to say that Yom Kippur isn't imporant or anything like that, but the whole school should consider shifting dates around? Please explain this in case I have missed somthing, maybe there is somthing I can learn. I have heard from time to time that natives of Virgina and the Carolinas are starting to complain about transplants from the north-east, and the lack of respect they show for such a vastly different part of the country, and I generally assumed it was them who were being narrowminded and unwilling to change a little for others. Maybe they have a legit gripe after all.

Good point! I believe that it is called assimilation, adaptation or private school?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Let me add, that we are jewish, we celebrate Yom Kippor which is the holyist day in the Jewish religion, and me personally would not expect a district or school to change this considering that we are the minority, However for those who DONT know about the holiday or the religion it is the same equivelant to your holyest day which you not be expected to go to school on....we just dont send our kids to school on that day...but not all jews feel that way, also the only place I know they do close the schools would be NY and NJ considering most of the teachers are jewish and its out of respect...just my 2 cents...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Let me add, that we are jewish, we celebrate Yom Kippor which is the holyist day in the Jewish religion, and me personally would not expect a district or school to change this considering that we are the minority, However for those who DONT know about the holiday or the religion it is the same equivelant to your holyest day which you not be expected to go to school on....we just dont send our kids to school on that day...but not all jews feel that way, also the only place I know they do close the schools would be NY and NJ considering most of the teachers are jewish and its out of respect...just my 2 cents...
Actually many school districts do not call it Christmas break anymore, it is considered "winter or holliday break" in some districts to keep the religious thing out of it or to keep ambiguous enough to not to offend. I guess it is in keeping with the times since America has obtained the title "Land of the Offended".

Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
yup I agree...personally I could care less if they called it christmas break...my kids get 8 gifts for chanukkah 1 each night again growing up in NYC it doesnt bother us...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM

26 posts, read 20,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
Yea, I don't get the posts of people that say "we are polish,we are jewish, we are from Europe...will we fit in".
I guess i've never been to a city where people shunned others. Maybe b/c i've grown up here and it's a melting pot of everyone from all over.
You must be very young.

There are many communities around our fair country that aren't exactly tolerant of those different from themselves.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
"We live in Union county and my son's field trip is on Yom kippur the response i got form the principal was oh sorry and we cannot guarantee it will not happen again. "

The schools here will not change their plans to accomodate religious holidays. Why should they?

I can't believe anyone would expect the public schools to do that, especially in the age of "Winter holidays" and secular "Spring Breaks". Surely you didn't expect a principal to promise never to schedule a field trip on Yom Kippur?

BTW, our family has many holidays that other religions and even other Christians do not recognize. But if my child went to a public school, I wouldn't dream of asking them to change plans to accommodate Orthodox Great Friday.

If you are an observant Jew, there are Jewish schools here in Charlotte that your children can attend. That way, they are sure to get around these types of problems.
In the schools systems where I worked, and in many of the larger city systems, Yom Kippur is a day which no new work is given in classrooms, or the day is a non-school day.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Actually many school districts do not call it Christmas break anymore, it is considered "winter or holliday break" in some districts to keep the religious thing out of it or to keep ambiguous enough to not to offend. I guess it is in keeping with the times since America has obtained the title "Land of the Offended".
Do you teach in the public schools in Charlotte?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose31 View Post
Do you teach in the public schools in Charlotte?
No, I taught in Florida. We used the term Christmas, but I do know that some Fla. districts did change the name. Actually not calling it Christmas break is probably best as it opens a bucket of worms to call it so. We must keep up with the times I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte