U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 34,240 times

Advertisements

DH and I are looking to move back east from the midwest as soon as we are empty nesters in 1.5 years. DH is in banking and we are looking at the Charlotte/Ft. Mill areas for that reason. Plus that puts us closer to family in VA and GA. We used to live outside of D.C. and hoping to live in an area that won't create a huge commute for either of us.

I'm a special ed teacher and will likely eventually (10-15 yrs) retire from the district that will hire me. My current position is at a high needs middle school and as of now, I'd like to continue in that setting. Pros/cons to teaching in NC vs SC? I've looked a little at how to transfer my license and trying to research school environments, philosophies, benefits, pay, etc.

I'd appreciate any advice or links to information in addition to the state education sites I've been using.

Also if anyone wants to weigh in on areas, happy for any info. Love planning for a change! Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
How many years do you have in your current state? Do you plan to move any of those years over? You need to carefully look at the retirement here vs where you are.

You need a min. of 20 years in the schools here to get a decent retirement with benefits, 30 for full retirement.

I called to find out about moving some of my years from another state over to this state and was told that I can't even begin the process until I have 5 years in the schools here. At that time I can buy one year for each year I have worked, so I could start by buying 5 years if I wanted (I have 17 from my previous state.) The current amount for "buying/moving" years is $8,000 per year. However, they said that number is just the current number, they have no way of knowing what the amount will be once I actually want to move years over.

You may have already done all of the math, but look closely at your retirement, including benefits, both from your current state and the ones you are looking at, and weigh the options.

I actually, at this point, would like to return to my previous state and finish out my years there. It makes the most sense. I have another 10-15 years as well, but going back would allow me 30 years in that system.

BTW: I work in NC

Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,936,941 times
A few years ago, the NC retirement system was considered one of the top five in the US. Your 15 years' experience will move you up the pay scale, but won't count toward NC retirement unless you purchase years which can be very costly. If you move to NC, buying years as soon as you are allowed to do so (number allowed to purchase based on years teaching some place else) is generally less expensive as opposed to waiting. Health insurance is included with NC retirement for the employee/retiree with at least 20 years of service at age 50 or older. The monthly retirement benefit for 20 years of service in NC at age 50 isn't much. If at least 10 years of service but fewer than 20 years of service only a portion of health insurance covered for employee/retiree .... Law changed for those hired after October 2006 (pretty sure that was the date). Currently NC legislature wants to do away with retiree health insurance for those hired June 2018 and beyond (I don't think it is law yet, but could be soon.)

In NC the state legislature sets the base teacher salary scale then each school system has the option of paying a supplement. The highest supplement in NC is in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System. http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Jobs/Pages/Compensation.aspx

Salary & Benefits

Teacher & State Employess' Retirement System

South Carolina Teaching Salaries and Benefits | Teaching-Certification.com

A friend is currently teaching at a charter school in NC and the school offers a 401K; the teachers/employees are not part of the NC Teacher Retirement System.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-16-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or