U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,387,873 times

Advertisements

All you Lee sympathizers need to do some more reading as well. Such a kindly gentleman:

When two of his slaves escaped and were recaptured, Lee either beat them himself or ordered the overseer to "lay it on well." Wesley Norris, one of the slaves who was whipped, recalled that “not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh, Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...al-lee/529038/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 AM

"Slavery was good for them!"
-R.E. Lee

"Nor did Lee’s defeat lead to an embrace of racial egalitarianism. The war was not about slavery, Lee insisted later, but if it was about slavery, it was only out of Christian devotion that white southerners fought to keep blacks enslaved. Lee told a New York Herald reporter, in the midst of arguing in favor of somehow removing blacks from the South (“disposed of,” in his words), “that unless some humane course is adopted, based on wisdom and Christian principles you do a gross wrong and injustice to the whole negro race in setting them free. And it is only this consideration that has led the wisdom, intelligence and Christianity of the South to support and defend the institution up to this time.”

Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,395,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Exactly!!! Even Germany has laws that ban Nazi symbolism in public. It's sad that Germany is ahead of the American south.

Drunken American beaten up after giving Nazi salute in Germany

And here's what we have at home...

Protesters in North Carolina topple Confederate statue following Charlottesville violence

If you studied history, you'd know that "Dixie" was played by the Union to honor the South (by Lincoln's request). It was a generous attempt by Lincoln to pacify the south and to restore the Union. Lincoln was murdered less than a week later anyway. THAT alone should be a warning to anyone who thinks that "kindness and understanding" works with terrorists.
Its sad that you're so small minded and uninformed.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 AM

"It was the Christian thing to do!"
-R.E. Lee

Lee had beaten or ordered his own slaves to be beaten for the crime of wanting to be free, he fought for the preservation of slavery, his army kidnapped free blacks at gunpoint and made them unfree—but all of this, he insisted, had occurred only because of the great Christian love the South held for blacks. Here we truly understand Frederick Douglass’s admonition that "between the Christianity of this land and the Christianity of Christ, I recognize the widest possible difference."

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,395,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
"It was the Christian thing to do!"
-R.E. Lee

Lee had beaten or ordered his own slaves to be beaten for the crime of wanting to be free, he fought for the preservation of slavery, his army kidnapped free blacks at gunpoint and made them unfree—but all of this, he insisted, had occurred only because of the great Christian love the South held for blacks. Here we truly understand Frederick Douglass’s admonition that "between the Christianity of this land and the Christianity of Christ, I recognize the widest possible difference."
And here's what Abraham Lincoln, that paragon of racial unity, had to say about African Americans:

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."

"Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man."

Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
But here's the deal. Its just plain wrong to say the north is all good and noble, and the south is all bad and evil. Slavery existed in the north, and a large portion of the ships that transported slaves (and thus earned the profits) were from the north. No one's hands are clean. The war itself was absolutely not about ending slavery at its outset, from the northern perspective.

And what do we do about, say, the Washington Monument? Does it need to be torn down? We risk sanitizing and erasing history, which is a huge mistake. If some monuments are overly aggrandizing or insulting in some way, then remove them. But to remove all reminders of the Civil War is absurd. A statue of Lee, with appropriate information displayed with it providing explanation and context, is important to explain our national identity and make sure future generations understand the issues. The same goes for many of the monuments erected at county courthouses.
The Washington monument wasn't constructed in celebration of white supremacy. I agree with you in the sense that we should not try to whitewash history. We need to own our history -- both good and bad. But, should a statue that was built in honor of white supremacy and slavery maintain a position of honor in our communities? Do statues and the fight for the Confederacy deserve to be elevated today? Is it an accurate reflection of our values? I would say no.

What would the appropriate information be for a Lee statue? He was a vile, hateful man.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,004,854 times
Quote:
Its sad that you're so small minded and uninformed.
It's sad that monuments of terrorists are still standing in public areas...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
And here's what Abraham Lincoln, that paragon of racial unity, had to say about African Americans:

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."

"Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man."
Typical deflection.

Lincoln's views on race evolved but that isn't the subject at hand. You're going to have to do more reading Bubba.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
if we erase history we are doomed to..

that's the DUMBEST excuse I have ever heard. Do you think another Hitler will rise up because his statues are gone?

such foolishness.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
Quote:

"ain't no one thinking about stinking Abe Lincoln"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or