Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 517 times

Advertisements

I've found a committed buyer who want's to purchase my vehicle tomorrow but obviously he won't have a tag ready and I can't turn in the old tag since it's a Sunday and Monday the DMV is closed.

If I sign over the title tomorrow (seller's signature has already been notarized), can I just take off the tag and then he's liable since it's now technically his? If he wrecks after his name is on the title, I should still be in the clear, right?

I've never privately sold before so I just want to make sure I'm not SOL some how in this situation. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 02:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,025,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed2017 View Post
I've found a committed buyer who want's to purchase my vehicle tomorrow but obviously he won't have a tag ready and I can't turn in the old tag since it's a Sunday and Monday the DMV is closed.

If I sign over the title tomorrow (seller's signature has already been notarized), can I just take off the tag and then he's liable since it's now technically his? If he wrecks after his name is on the title, I should still be in the clear, right?

I've never privately sold before so I just want to make sure I'm not SOL some how in this situation. Any help is appreciated!

Write up a bill of sale with the date and selling as is. You can hand the title over and take the plate off I've done it plenty times before. I actually had one person not change the title over and I got a call 6 months later that the vehicle was involved in an accident. They just wanted to make sure that I did sell the vehicle to them and told me I would not be responsible for anything.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 PM

41 posts, read 82,606 times
I've done this same thing several times now. Like they said, write up a bill of sale, exchange $, sign over the title, and take your tag off the car. You should be fine. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte